Color: Sony HX9V vs Panasonic HDC-SDT750 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-07-2012, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 100
My granddaughters and I have two "camcorders", a Panasonic HDC-SDT750 and a Sony HX9V. The SDT-750 is closely related to the highly regarded TM900.

I shot and edited a technical video about a motorhome repair and uploaded it to YouTube. I did this without my granddaughters help.

I wanted to show her what I had produced and asked her if she could tell which of our cameras I used.

We played the YouTube, and her 11 year old eyes quickly identified the HX9V. Why, I asked. She answered, "Because the color is better."

How can a $300 pocket camera have better color than a (list) $1,000 camera? Digital video is a weird world!

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I'm not sure that's the best example to use but the point is, what looks the best and what is the best is very subjective. A comparison to the actual scene would be necessary. I believe the average consumers would prefer the showroom/manufacture default picture settings over a professionally calibrated TV, at least initially.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did you use the Panasonic on auto?
The auto white balance and color of the Sony is better than the Panasonic. I started a thread a while back on how the auto setting on the Panasonic is not very good, at least according to me and some others. In my opinion, the higher end "consumer" Panasonic cameras are best used on manual setting. Auto setting is hit/miss for me. Some times the picture looks amazing, and other times not. On my HX9v (which I got after too much frustration with the Panasonic), I use the "real" color setting.