lighting for exposure hf100 not like still cameras! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-08-2012, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello!

New to camcorders, not to photography. They are similar but not the same!
I am used to using a still camera in manual. You change aperature and/or shutter speed and ISO to get a look with proper exposure/depth of field. You use the interal lightmeter or a flashmeter to make sure you are properly exposed and have the right ratios for background and to create shadows for depth.

So I bought a Canon HF100 and I have some good quality continuous lighting. I what to try and understand when I am using too much or not enough lighting to get the best look.

I will be doing some videos for music instument instruction. Both shutter speed and aperature are equally important.

It seems to me that you can change the canon to either aperature priority or shutter. So if you set it to aperature and there is not enough light the camera will change the shutter speed to compensate. How do I know what these changes are? With a canon photo camera it will tell you by showing you the shutter speed. You then know if you want a faster speed you should increase the lighting. I think I have even hear of people using a still camera's internal light meter to take reading for setting upo video lighting.

I don't like just trying a setup and seeing how it works, changing again. Seems kind of silly when you have an expensive camcorder. I don't want to pour alot of light onto something and overcompensate.

Is there an internal light meter you can read on the canon camcorder? Is there a way to see how the camcorder compensates for too much or little light?

Also, what are a good setting for this music instruction? I need some shutter speeed to show action, but I woulkd like a medium depth of field as I don't really care to show all the background.

I realize I am asking a few questions here so let me know your thoughts.

M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-08-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 29
This is an oldish and not very concise explanation of what you are seeing and how to deal with it: http://www.avchduser.com/articles/manual_mode.jsp The HF100 has build-in ND filter that hovers at F4 and can suck up to 4 stops of light.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page