Old 09-20-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfitzy View Post

Here is a video from the Panasonic V720. Its not the best clip just one I could find and upload quickly. This video on YouTube seems to be less grainy but it does show how the motion really blurs the image. This was shot on auto so the shutter speed is really slow. at the end you can see some of the noise in the sky.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAu1l7HsdsA

TBH, that's pretty good for a camcorder. Except for when you're zooming in, I don't really see any major noise in the image.

Regarding the HF M50 in low light, you can raise the video gain and remove the video noise (small specks on screen) in post with denoising software.

http://www.neatvideo.com/

Perhaps you can raise the gain on the Panasonic as well?

Camcorders have a small image sensor. Is there something specific you need night video shooting for? If it's really imperative, consider a larger sensor DSLR or mirrorless camera.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was of the understanding that increasing the video gain would add more noise. Was I thinking incorrectly on that?
This camera does have a manual mode and i have played around with the gain but I did not see much of an improvement. I actually own a Canon 60D which does a great job with video but i find the manual focus to be difficult for moving subjects. I want to use the camcorder for high school sports and marching band which is usually at night under stadium lights. I will play around with the night mode and manual mode to keep the shutter speed up and not overexpose the black areas of the image but the fine grain still bothers me.

Do you find that the Neat Video works well? Does it soften the edges or will it retain the edge detail?
Old 09-20-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was of the understanding that increasing the video gain would add more noise.

Do you find that the Neat Video works well? Does it soften the edges or will it retain the edge detail?

yeah, it adds noise - so use software to correct after raising the gain.

try the demo and see on your own clips:
http://www.neatvideo.com/download.html
Old 09-25-2013, 08:58 AM

Does anyone have footage from a night high school football game, marching band, or anything similar? Even gym or auditorium events would be of interest.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone have footage from a night high school football game, marching band, or anything similar? Even gym or auditorium events would be of interest.

There's this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2z3dUZJmik
Old 09-26-2013, 07:13 AM

Thanks xfws, That does help. It seems that the M50 can produce better color and contrast in low light situations over the Panasonic V720. The image noise seems to show up more often with the V720 but it is a much finer grain because of the higher resolution sensor. The M50 noise doesn't seem to show up until it gets much darker but when it does it has large color noise with big blue blotches. This is only my opinion based on what i have seen from select online videos. I currently have the V720 so I am very familiar with its performance. Since I am wanting to video night sports I think the V720 which has 1080 - 60P still has the advantage although the colors are not as good in low light, but not bad either.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Since I am wanting to video night sports I think the V720 which has 1080 - 60P still has the advantage
I do not follow, but whatever.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:44 AM

What I am saying is that I believe that recording at 60P will be better for fast moving objects and fast panning than the 60i. In a well lit high school stadium the V720 can still record good video.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

What I am saying is that I believe that recording at 60P will be better for fast moving objects and fast panning than the 60i.
Same.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:16 PM

My wide screen tv is huge but only uses 60i. progressive wouldn't work on my tv but would be good on the computer monitor. 60i works great on the tv and blu-ray disks. Also, the Vixia has a sports setting, too. Never used it though.
This is a video I made during basketball to test sound settings and a wide angle lens attachment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuB2QvmZLEs&feature=youtu.be
Old 10-02-2013, 07:18 AM

After a bunch of research I was pretty certain the M500 would be the best option for me to record solo music performances in front of a backdrop in my studio (basic camcorder with nice image quality and good low light performance, I don't need wifi or fancy image stabilization etc) but I'm wondering what the future of this line is?  Some online shops are showing M500/M52/M50 models as discontinued or out of stock, and new M500s seem like they've gone way up in price compared to what they used to be available for (and well over the $499 MSRP on Canon's site).

Considering this product line is getting to be almost 2 years old, might Canon be planning a replacement for these consumer CMOS Image Pro sensor cameras?

Thanks,

Rob

Old 10-02-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmartino View Post

After a bunch of research I was pretty certain the M500 would be the best option for me to record solo music performances in front of a backdrop in my studio (basic camcorder with nice image quality and good low light performance, I don't need wifi or fancy image stabilization etc) but I'm wondering what the future of this line is?  Some online shops are showing M500/M52/M50 models as discontinued or out of stock, and new M500s seem like they've gone way up in price compared to what they used to be available for (and well over the $499 MSRP on Canon's site).

Considering this product line is getting to be almost 2 years old, might Canon be planning a replacement for these consumer CMOS Image Pro sensor cameras?

Thanks,
Rob

This was the first year Canon didn't come out with new mid-range consumer camcorders.

It may be because there is more focus now on DSLR/mirrorless cameras for video.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:16 PM

I just wanted everyone to know that the Vixia hf m50 will work with a thumb drive or an external hard drive powered with the USB cable. The manual says it will not work but it does. The camera must be plugged into the wall in all cases. The optional cable is required: UA-100. The portable Hard Drive is tiny and called a WD My Passport for Mac. It has it's own cable to use with the UA-100. There is no power plug for the Hard Drive. I also have another WD hard drive that does have a power plug but it is a normal size and uses a normal USB cable with the UA-100 short cable.
If the camera is to connect to a hard drive, the camera must initialize it. It'll be Windows based and the iMac won't like it.
I use FCPX on a iMac. You can find the files saved to a HD by the camera, using FCP, but not where they should be and how it works best. What I do is to use a normal USB cable and FCPX and make an Archive after selecting import media. Then I import from the Archive. FCP works best that way.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:19 PM

That is, I connect fcpx to the camera, using one normal USB cable, and create an archive.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:11 PM

Has anyone here used Story Creator Mode? I'd like to see some samples on YouTube or Vimeo.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:56 PM

hello everybody,

i just got a legria m56 couple of days ago , uptil now it has been great trying it , havent played alot in the manual settings and i'm not professional in anyway , but oh boy i'm impressed by low light performance in night scene mode , i have only one question, i have been testing out different settings to feel the exact difference between them and rekon what will serve me the best, but if i didnt write the settings on paper , is there anyway to extract that info from the video , i can only find the bitrate value and nothing else, cant the cam show some settings like IS on or off xv color on or off , which mode manual or auto or cinema ,  because i take like 20 video and then iam lost which is which ? LOL , anything like the dslr exif , and btw the video browser software is rubbish , alot of conflicts with other codecs and hangs all the time.

if anyone want me to do any tests for em would be glad.

Thanks.