Official Canon HF M50 , 52 , 500 thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 106 Old 05-09-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I didn't find a thread specifically to this new line Canon just came out with and so i decided to start one . I have had mine now for almost 2 weeks and i love it !! I had the R300 to start with but i wanted better with better low light sensitivity . The M50 definitely has that ! The M50 has a 8-gig built-in memory with one card slot . I presently have a 16-gig SDHX card so that gives me a total of 24-gig. You have to choose where your recordings go to , either the Built-in or Card . I use the Built-in at the moment but i like to transfer to the card and just put the card in my computer and download without having to open any other software if i choose to . It will record in AVCHD or MP4 which is really convienant . It only has 10x optical zoom but in Manual mode you can choose 40x or 200x zoom . In Auto only the 10x optical is available . I really like the Auto-Close lens door and i have a 43mm HOYA UV filter coming in the mail . The touch screen is really easy to use once you know how to get around for settings and playbacks of picts and movies are really neat . You have 3 different built-in music sounds you can use to record with or add your own during editing of your film . Oh BTW as far as the pictures i've only taken a few and they were great looking . Battery life is fairly good for the M50 with the Canon factory battery . Full charge can get 2-3 hours of recording depending your settings and what format you record in and whether or not you add the on-board music . it comes with Wi-Fi built-in for uploading to your computer or the web or to a TV capable of Wi-Fi . I choose not to use it for security reasons . I've read where alot have had trouble tho with the settings of making connections but since i'm not using mine i can not verify that . I do know tho that what MP4 movies i have taken look great as well as the AVCHD movies which shoot at 1920x1080 with 2.07 megapixels which is all you need for HDTV . And one last thing at the moment is it has a 1/3-inch HD CMOS PRO, RGB Primary Color Filter sensor which is larger than most the other line below the M5 series . For right now til i get to know my camera better this is all i can input but here is a couple youtube videos i have taken so far . One inside and one outside .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqv8nP06uSw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgzaP...feature=relmfu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 Old 05-11-2012, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Got my HOYA 43mm UV Filter todyay . I definitely believe it's a big + ! Reduces glare and does no interfering with the video quality in any way and now i feel beeter the lens is protected when the lens door is open also ! Got to say i'm still pleased with this camera . The only thing is it has 200x digital zoom but i think it's over powered for the camera and i tried it on the moon this morning in daylight and even tho i do amateur astronomy and i know it's hard to get a good daytime shot of the moon , that 200x digital zoom does not give a good focus on the moon . Next full moon at night i'll test it and see how it does tho .

Here is a Youtube video i took this morning :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubMEv...ature=youtu.be
post #3 of 106 Old 05-11-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a youtube video i took of Venus from a HD tripod testing the 200x zoom . Even tho it's nice to have the zoom i believe it's way over powered for this camera actually causing more distortion than being a good image . However you also have a choice fo 40x zoom which does really good without adding much if any distortion . Any comments welcome .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKZVeCXYWgw
post #4 of 106 Old 05-11-2012, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Now to add some sugar to the top here are a couple picts if they load up that the HF M50 took as single images . Any comments . I guess so far i must be the only owner of any of the HF M5 series . Sure hope someone else comes in the future ! I'd like to get other inputs from anyone who has had any experience with this camcorder also .

Loading Ramp_04-29-2012_ronlhodges by ronlhodges, on Flickr

Ranch Gateway_04-29-2012_ronlhodges by ronlhodges, on Flickr
post #5 of 106 Old 05-15-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Been a really good camera so far . I just need to learn how to edit and put together a short video of fun !
post #6 of 106 Old 05-16-2012, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought the Canon HF M500. I will be recording our first video of my daughters school program tonight. I really don't know too much about video cameras other than I knew it was time to get a new one. My last one was a JVC that used VHS-C tapes. I chose the Canon because it had good reviews and it seems to have options to add accessories for different situations.

Does anyone know about the teleconverter lenses that can be attached? My daughters play sports and I want to be able to get so good close-up shots.
post #7 of 106 Old 05-16-2012, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTREB4 View Post

I just bought the Canon HF M500. I will be recording our first video of my daughters school program tonight. I really don't know too much about video cameras other than I knew it was time to get a new one. My last one was a JVC that used VHS-C tapes. I chose the Canon because it had good reviews and it seems to have options to add accessories for different situations.

Does anyone know about the teleconverter lenses that can be attached? My daughters play sports and I want to be able to get so good close-up shots.

Congratulations on your purchase . You should be happy with it for quite some time ! Canon sells a Tele-Converter for $230.00 and if you have registered you camcorder there will be a coupon for 15% off any items you buy for a short period of time . Your filter size is a 43mm and if you have not done so you can buy the kit or single UV filter through amazon for about $20.00 . I bought a HOYA 43mm and i really like it outside it protects your lens and keeps out dust when the lens door is open . You can also buy the same filter set sold at Canon stores for $80.00 but at Amazon you can buy the same filter set for $55.99 . Can't help on the teleconverter at amazon tho cause not familiar with them at the moment . Best thing to do is look them up and see if there is any reviews for them .
post #8 of 106 Old 05-21-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a video i took of the Annular Eclipse Sunday May 20th , 2012 . Used the Canon HF M50 for this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUrpkKLYv4U
post #9 of 106 Old 05-28-2012, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

In case anyone might be interested in the pictures a Canon HF M50 will take , here is one i took today and worked as a HDR image . Please comment if you like it , I appreciate the response !

IMG_0300_1_oldcar_copyright_ronlhodges_05-28-2012 by ronlhodges, on Flickr
post #10 of 106 Old 05-29-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Well i guess only one person that posted here owns or knows anything about this camcorder . It would be nice if someone could comment . Would show me that not all people are against Canon products .
post #11 of 106 Old 05-29-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlhodges View Post

Here is a video i took of the Annular Eclipse Sunday May 20th , 2012 . Used the Canon HF M50 for this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUrpkKLYv4U

Cool shot at the end of the clip when it came into focus. Hold that cam still, or some editing can help.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #12 of 106 Old 06-13-2012, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

Cool shot at the end of the clip when it came into focus. Hold that cam still, or some editing can help.

Thanks for the input and comment Blasst .
post #13 of 106 Old 06-13-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

I just remember reading a while back where someone had complained that the LCD on the Canon camcorder was too dark and could not see anything outside in the sunlight . After having my HF M50 for awhile now i know what that poster was talking about but i would like to also correct that poster about the info input . The poster must not have searched the settings for the LCD brightness or knew how cause if they did they would have discovered that you can adjust the LCD for outside viewing but as with any LCD whether being a Camera or Camcorder the LCD screen is going to be dark until you make adjustments for outside use . So if any of you run across that statement from a poster , just let them know to check the LCD brightness settings . It's not going to be like it is inside or in a dark area but it can be adjusted to an acceptable brightness for outside .
post #14 of 106 Old 06-14-2012, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

1203 times my post has been checked out . 14 total replies which 13 are my own and 1 by one other forum member . Does one else here likes Canon camcorders or is this strictly a Sony Forum . Please don't tell me that not everyone may not have had time to reply or even seen this thread cause it's been posted since May 9 , 2012 . Is there a reason why no one even wants to comment or is it just that there is not many owners of camcorders ? It just puzzles me cause other forums i'm on give you plenty of replies to any and most all questions or post made . If i still had that Sony HDR 260 camcorder i would be willing to bet i would have alot more replies . Are there any other camcorders in the same line of the M52 , M50 or M500 that can compete with the images i've posted by my M50 ??
post #15 of 106 Old 06-21-2012, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Today i performed a test with my M50 for Chromatic Aberration which most of you know is the fringing or purple halo around bright objects . This maybe something to take into consideration when buying a camcorder with low quality lens glass . Best way to check is to zoom in on bright spots as shown here in this video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUznk_SJnhc&feature=plcp
post #16 of 106 Old 06-22-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a short video i took of a double rainbow that occurred over my home :

http://youtu.be/vGD8tQY2bJ4

And here are a couple images i also took with the same M50 :

7419632972_36594a100f_b.jpg
IMG_0346_doublerainbow_copyright_ronlhodges copy by ronlhodges, on Flickr

7419632846_e4ddc48d4b_b.jpg
IMG_0355_doublerainbow_copyright-ronlhodges copy by ronlhodges, on Flickr
post #17 of 106 Old 06-22-2012, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Here is also a video on a walkabout in a park i did . Not too bad for a 58 yr old with mediocre hand holding . Would be better if i was more stabil .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsSnnPqJm8g&feature=plcp
post #18 of 106 Old 06-29-2012, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a night video i took of the International Space Station Flyby the other night . Hope you enjoy it !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiNUB_EpeR0
post #19 of 106 Old 06-30-2012, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlhodges View Post

Here is also a video on a walkabout in a park i did . Not too bad for a 58 yr old with mediocre hand holding . Would be better if i was more stabil .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsSnnPqJm8g&feature=plcp

Thanks for posting the videos Ron. Was wondering what settings your park walk was taking in. 60p?

The sensor of the canon has me sold, however, trying to find an m41 due to the viewfinder. In case I cannot get an m41, do you ever wish you had the viewfinder on your m50?
post #20 of 106 Old 06-30-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmercer3 View Post

Thanks for posting the videos Ron. Was wondering what settings your park walk was taking in. 60p?
The sensor of the canon has me sold, however, trying to find an m41 due to the viewfinder. In case I cannot get an m41, do you ever wish you had the viewfinder on your m50?

I really do not miss the viewfinder at all but i wear glasses and the flipout LCD panel makes it much easier for me . I didn't see any in the store when i was testing camcorders so not sure just how good it would be . I'm sure some people would like it very well . Someone mentioned about the fact that it was too dark in the sunlight and they could not see anything but the fact is that person did not check the settings for the LCD brightness . It was dark on mine at first then i raised the brightness to max for outside use and i see it fine now so whoever said it was just trying to make a bad mark for canon . Actually this is mainly a Sony and Panasonic forum and those dedicated don't like the competition of another camcorder . You can see that by each time i post they try buring it fast as they can so new people to the forum don't see it . Good luck tho and hope you find what you want and need .
post #21 of 106 Old 06-30-2012, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Today i visited Bestbuy and finally they have the Canon G10 for sale and was on display so i checked it but it had no power to it so could not test it . However at least i got my hands on it and see what difference it has against the other Canons there . For one i noticed it is slight bigger that the M50 i have and the that's due to the LCD screen being slightly bigger than the M50 . It has a viewfinder but since no power to it it could not open to be able to see through it but if i had the camera more likely i would prefer to use the LCD panel flipped out . Very nice it has the adjustable manual focus ring and the lens was awesome . However .... , it was $1499.99 and personally if i could have afforded it yes i probably would have bought it at the begining , but i'm not doing that kind of Pro work and for what i have plans for i prefer to use my M50 . The G10 has a 32-gig built-in HD which is nice and has 2-slots for cards . You could add alot of memory there with cards combined to HD but you better have a BIG HDD on your computer as well as a BIG processor and handle all the data if you filled up both cards and HD !! Have no idea what time span would be for the battery life before charge is needed but i know when i charge my battery on the M50 to max i usually have nearly 3 hours max depending what format i shoot in and the quality i choose in all the settings . If i set all settings to max for the best possible video i may get a little over 2 hours recording time if i have not filled up my card and HD . I have a 8-gig HD and today i bought a 32-gig SDHC . Got a 16-gig and a 4-gig for backup if needed . The only thing tho is a second backup battery would be nice cause charge takes between 1-2 hours for max charge if your down all the way . Anyway just though i'd give this little report on the G10 but it's a long ways away from even being a review at all .
post #22 of 106 Old 07-01-2012, 07:16 AM

Was really hoping for some 4th of july sales from Canon but the Panasonic 700 just dropped to $380 on amazon, I obviously had to pull the trigger... kind of mad becuase I had my mind set on the M500/M41 but I cant justify spending the extra $150 when the HC-V700 is so close in comparison...

I will follow up if I find something dissapointing in the HC-V700 (because I know thats what you want to hear lol)
post #23 of 106 Old 07-01-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmercer3 View Post

Was really hoping for some 4th of july sales from Canon but the Panasonic 700 just dropped to $380 on amazon, I obviously had to pull the trigger... kind of mad because I had my mind set on the M500/M41 but I cant justify spending the extra $150 when the HC-V700 is so close in comparison...
I will follow up if I find something dissapointing in the HC-V700 (because I know thats what you want to hear lol)

Sorry Canon disappointed you in not having a July 4th sale but Canon is not noted for having any kind of sales . Mainly because when you have the best on the market you don't have to worry about having sales to push any particular item that may be slow moving or some other reason . However sometimes Amazon runs sales to speed up sales on their slow moving products or ones they maybe discontinuing or way over stock on and need to lower inventory , and then again they may have got authority from Sony to have a sale or Sony maybe having a big sale . Canon usually once a yr when new products come out to replace certain products will have a sale on their website and will send emails to loyal customers of their products . Other than that you can find it on their website when they have one .

But glad you made a decision and hope very much you will be pleased with it . Like i said in previous replies , all in all it really doesn't matter what you buy as long as you can depend on it to last a long time , and are totally happy with it without having to worrying about any doubts . Saving a few dollars is always a good thing as long as you don't give up quality that you are expecting . Like i always said you get what you pay for but only yourself , not me or others here on the forum can give you that satisfaction you get from your own purchases . So congratulations on your purchase and when you make and upload a video i hope you'll share it so i can see how your doing . Have a great day !
post #24 of 106 Old 07-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Ordered ours today based on great reviews of the 2011 M400. I will post comments after it comes....

Is it worth it to get the UV filter for normal use? I am worried it will affect recording.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
post #25 of 106 Old 07-01-2012, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate-avfan-da View Post

Ordered ours today based on great reviews of the 2011 M400. I will post comments after it comes....
Is it worth it to get the UV filter for normal use? I am worried it will affect recording.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Congratulations on your order ! I definitely believe you will have joys of fun and be happy with your choice . And yes i would definitely get the HOYA 43mm Filter ! it is very thin , wont interfere with any videos , and it helps some with reflection but the very main reason i bought mine was because it protects the optic glass when the shutter is open and keeps it free of debris or if you accidently bump it you wont touch the lens optics at all . I been using UV filters on all my cameras and lens for yrs and i have HOYAs on each and everyone ! I put this on a few days after i bought the camcorder and never taken it off . All the video links i have posted were shot with the UV filter on so check them out and you'll see there is no interference .
post #26 of 106 Old 07-02-2012, 04:16 PM

I am still saving up to buy an HF-M50, but I wanted to see if anyone has any comments on the difference between the HF-M50 and the HF-R30. I currently have an HF20, but I was hoping to record as an MP4 so I don't have to wait hours for it to convert the HD video. Also, I noticed that these seem to only be able to record 720P as an MP4, is that correct? How does the quality compare to the 1080 video that it records in the other format?
Thanks in advance for any help in figuring out the differences.
Jon
post #27 of 106 Old 07-02-2012, 04:54 PM

I am in the process of purchasing a new camcorder for the arrival of our baby in a few weeks, I figured it would be a good investment for hobby/family use. I'm pretty set on the m50 as the only difference between that and the m52 is the size of the flash drive, which i would prefer a removable media card anyway. A few questions though for the community...

I plan to use B&W filters, what are some good ones to start off on? UV, Polarizing...

Do all 43mm filters fit this camcorder or is there a specific B&W filter I should get?

Is a second battery necessary or can I get by on one?
post #28 of 106 Old 07-02-2012, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaterniti View Post

A few questions though for the community...
I plan to use B&W filters, what are some good ones to start off on? UV, Polarizing...
Do all 43mm filters fit this camcorder or is there a specific B&W filter I should get?

lens filters good only to protect the lens. nothing else. lens filter only blur the video. video camera take clearer picture/video without filters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e9TUIC-Dtk

buy a spare battery and 32m memory card.

as for batteries, if you can afford. buy only original cannon made battery not third party batteries.
post #29 of 106 Old 07-02-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwagner4534 View Post

I am still saving up to buy an HF-M50, but I wanted to see if anyone has any comments on the difference between the HF-M50 and the HF-R30. I currently have an HF20, but I was hoping to record as an MP4 so I don't have to wait hours for it to convert the HD video. Also, I noticed that these seem to only be able to record 720P as an MP4, is that correct? How does the quality compare to the 1080 video that it records in the other format?
Thanks in advance for any help in figuring out the differences.
Jon

You might check out the three compared here :

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders?pageKeyCode=65&category=0901e02480061144&compare=0901e02480417eb5&compare=0901e024804191c6&compare=0901e02480249987
post #30 of 106 Old 07-02-2012, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaterniti View Post

I am in the process of purchasing a new camcorder for the arrival of our baby in a few weeks, I figured it would be a good investment for hobby/family use. I'm pretty set on the m50 as the only difference between that and the m52 is the size of the flash drive, which i would prefer a removable media card anyway. A few questions though for the community...

I've not any experience with B&W other than other forums i'm on people don't care for B&W . The lens is a 43mm filter size meaning any filter brand in the 43mm will fit . Second battery would be convient . I've not needed one yet but i have not done enough yet to play alot with my camcorder . Also all the M series have a card slot and the M52 has 2 slots outside the HD .
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page