Camcorder - 8 to 10 hour record time - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-10-2012, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new to Camcorders and I need some advice. I promote shows and need one that will record 8 to 10 hours. At least record 2 - 5 hours sessions. I would like to be able to provide sections of the video to Trainers to help with their athletes as well as use it as a training tool for judges. I would like to be able to cut out clips to add to our website to help promote our shows. Any advice would be helpful.
1) What type of camcorder show we look at?
2) What is the best application to use to edit a video?
3) What is the best way to format the video so we can use it for training as well as post short clips on our website?

Thank you very much for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-10-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Welcome to the forum,

For that much recording time you definitely need a camcorder with either a big hard drive or flash memory. I'm not sure what your budget is but Sony just released their king of the hill CX760 that has a build in 96 Gb flash drive for up to 7 Hrs of full 1080/60p recording at 28 Mbs or you can reduce the bitrate and get up to 12 hours of HD recording at around 5 Mbs. $1,500

I know Panasonic has a model with a built in hard drive that's 220 Gb! The HS900K will do full 1080/60p FOR OVER 18 HOURS!!! ;-) $1,100

Also if you get a HDV camcorder (like the Canon HV40) and you can connect a firewire cable to your computer and record indefinately (dependent on hard drive size). I've used this method for dance shows that last 3-4 hours and shoot non-stop. With this option also, you save a bunch of time because the footage is already on the computer so you don't have to sit down and transfer it later.

HDV is a dying format, so be wary, it's MiniDV tape based. Also, the HDV models allow you to use external storage devices through firewire like the Firestore.

Some of the newer HD camcorders have SDXC slots and you can get up to 128 Gb cards for a cheaper camera (i.e. Canon M50) the cam is About $550 but the memory card is about $160 or so.

Those are some options to get you headed in the right direction. The cheapest option is the HDV option with the Canon HV30, the other cams are at $1,000 - $1,500. You can get a used HDV camcorder for about $600 or less and you're all set.

Thanks.

Now that's how you supposed to drive!

Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X

post #3 of 3 Old 05-10-2012, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promoter View Post

I promote shows and need one that will record 8 to 10 hours. promote our shows. Any advice would be helpful.
1) What type of camcorder show we look at?

Most video cameras these days record onto removable flash cards but some also record onto a hard drive that is built it (these hard drive cameras also have a spot to pop in a flash card).
I would recommend looking at the Sony HDR-XR260V. It has a 160GB hard drive built in that will easily record 10 hours at even at full HD quality.
You will of course need to get extra batteries for the camera or you can connect it to AC power.

Quote:

2) What is the best application to use to edit a video?

If you've never edited a video before then take a look at the Sony Vegas range. You can download fully functional trial versions from their site.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/trials

Quote:

3) What is the best way to format the video so we can use it for training as well as post short clips on our website?

You will need to encode your videos so that they are playable on a DVD player. Some video editing applications will offer authoring capabilities so you can create a menu, chapter points etc.
If you want to put the videos on your website, then I would recommend uploading them onto YouTube and then embedding the link on your site. Depending on the length and popularity of your video then a lot of bandwidth could be used which may be costly. By using YouTube as your host you don't have to pay anything and your users will be able to choose from a variety of qualities (360p 480p, 720p, 1080p) and view them on multiple devices (iPad, iPhone, Laptop, Android phones etc.)
You will need to investigate what the maximum length of a video is for uploading to YouTube, but you can get a 'Director Account' which allows for long videos.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page