HD Camcorders with wireless remotes? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-13-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Back when I bought my DV camcorder in 2004, wireless remotes seemed like a common feature. Now that I'm looking to by an HD camcorder, I don't see that feature mentioned when I read product descriptions. I'm not clear if that seems to have gone by the wayside or what, and really don't want to slog through hundreds of product manuals to find info. Can anyone suggest current HD camcorders (recording to hard drive or flash) that have wireless remote support for recording? Either one that comes with a remote, or can be used with "All in one" remotes. Feel free to point me to other recent threads if this information exists, or elsewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-13-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Pansonic TM900
post #3 of 17 Old 05-13-2012, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 28
All consumer camcorders have wireless remotes (of those that have ones). Wired remotes are rare.
post #4 of 17 Old 05-13-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

All consumer camcorders have wireless remotes (of those that have ones). Wired remotes are rare.

I think the OP is aware that wired remotes are rare.

The point he was trying to make is that nowadays remotes do not come as standard with consumer camcorders. At least not with the entry level ones... I have a Sony HDR-XR150 and it didn't come with a remote.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-14-2012, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

Thanks, but:

a) my question was not about wired remotes, it was about wireless (IR) remotes.

b) You must be looking at a different set of consumer camcorders than I am. I can't find almost none that have wireless remotes, at least any that are not for professional recording. Can you give me some example of ones that do?
post #6 of 17 Old 05-14-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Pretty sure my Sony xr500v had a remote in the box. But that was a couple of years ago.

-Suntan
post #7 of 17 Old 05-14-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith44 View Post

Thanks, but:

a) my question was not about wired remotes, it was about wireless (IR) remotes.

b) You must be looking at a different set of consumer camcorders than I am. I can't find almost none that have wireless remotes, at least any that are not for professional recording. Can you give me some example of ones that do?

The HF M4XX came bundled with a remote. The HF M5XX series come without a remote, but you can buy one if you want it for $18 directly from Canon. Manufacturers figured out that very few users need remotes, so they stopped putting them in the box. Makes sense to me, as long as a camcorder has capability to be controlled with a remote.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-24-2012, 11:26 AM

did you ever find one with a remote?
i am "spec-ing" for one now and cannot find any entry/mid level with a remote
post #9 of 17 Old 11-24-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by av409 View Post

did you ever find one with a remote?
i am "spec-ing" for one now and cannot find any entry/mid level with a remote
See Ungermann's post above yours.
post #10 of 17 Old 11-24-2012, 11:55 AM

got it thanks
i see the higher end products come with the remote, unfortunately my budget is the low/mid range area.
i would not be opposed to buying one w/o remote as long as i could purchase it as an add on, most specs are not clear on whether non remote models are even remote compatible.

does anything current come to mind?
post #11 of 17 Old 11-24-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

got it thanks
i see the higher end products come with the remote, unfortunately my budget is the low/mid range area.
i would not be opposed to buying one w/o remote as long as i could purchase it as an add on, most specs are not clear on whether non remote models are even remote compatible.
does anything current come to mind?
What's your budget?

You can get a Canon HF M500 on sale now for $349:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/838772-REG/Canon_M500_VIXIA_HF_M500_Full.html

and compatible remote for $18:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/846864-REG/Canon_7904A002_WL_D89_WIRELESS_CONTROLLER.html
post #12 of 17 Old 11-25-2012, 10:22 AM

certainly an option, thanks

based on my research to date i see most mid line recorders do not have a remote included, i see some of the cannons have the wireless remote ability, and most sony have a jack for interface. not clear if panasonics have the ability to interface with a remote if not included out of the box, very ambiguous info on panasonic remote capability.
post #13 of 17 Old 11-25-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

certainly an option, thanks
based on my research to date i see most mid line recorders do not have a remote included, i see some of the cannons have the wireless remote ability, and most sony have a jack for interface. not clear if panasonics have the ability to interface with a remote if not included out of the box, very ambiguous info on panasonic remote capability.

All of the Canon consumer camcorders from 2008 to 2011, HF100 to the HF M41 will include the wireless remote. The 2012 models, HF M5xx, will require that additional purchase of the remote.

All of the companies, Canon, Panasonic, Sony, etc., have a "contact us" link on their site. The simplest approach would be to just email each one and ask which of their camcorders have the wireless remote and/or which models one can be purchased.
post #14 of 17 Old 11-25-2012, 05:06 PM

yes, i plan to call canon tomorrow.

thanks for pointing that out about the canon models. i did thoroughly search the canon website and its very odd that i see no mention of any models ability to interface with a remote (except the very high end units) or any mention on their site of their very own wireless remote controller sold elsewhere for about $18 (Wireless Controller WL-D89) no mention of LANC ports either (unless they call them some other name)
post #15 of 17 Old 11-25-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes, i plan to call canon tomorrow.
thanks for pointing that out about the canon models. i did thoroughly search the canon website and its very odd that i see no mention of any models ability to interface with a remote (except the very high end units) or any mention on their site of their very own wireless remote controller sold elsewhere for about $18 (Wireless Controller WL-D89) no mention of LANC ports either (unless they call them some other name)
Canon does mention the wireless remotes on their site. For example, if you go to Canonusa.com and search a camcorder like the HF M41 and then click the "What's in the box?" link, it will list the Wireless Controller WL-D89 as included.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders/vixia_hf_m41#BoxContent

Actually you could also search B&H for a camcorder as they have a "What's in the box" section for any product.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Camcorders/ci/1871/N/4294548093

Quote:

while on the canon website i see attractive deals on refurbished units. any opinions on those?
They're a great deal/like new.
The only real difference is the generic packaging and you get a 90-day warranty vs. a year for a new camcorder.
post #16 of 17 Old 11-26-2012, 03:23 PM

yes, i did see what you are referring to on the cannon website, the only reference to remote options was for the high end units. the odd thing is there is absolutely no reference made to remote capability for units like the m500 m50 etc in spite of the fact that all my research
here and elsewhere indicates compatibility with the IR unit sold for $18. i called the canon help/support number today and the agent was ZERO help, reciting from script referring to the "whats in the box" heading. she also had a crappy attitude peppering her reply with trite phrases such as "don't believe everything you read on line" like i was some sort of fool. i need to go to a major retailer like B&H where i can physically see the item and hopefully speak in person with someone who is knowledgeable.

i know the m41 was a top CR rated unit last year in the 12/11 issue, you would figure that being an older unit that the few remaining would be reasonably priced- no way, they still fetch good $$
post #17 of 17 Old 11-26-2012, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This remote works with :

For Canon VIXIA HF-G10, HF-S20, HF-S200, HF-S21, H30, HF-M52, HF-M50, HF-M500, HF-M41, HF-M40, HF-M400, HF-M32, HF-M31, HF-330 & HF-M300

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Remote+Control+for+M50+Camcorder&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

However it's out of Stock ............
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page