Panasonic HC-V500 HD OR Canon HF M500? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-13-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, its time I buy a new camcorder and am a bit overwhelmed with the choices today. I want to use it for family memories, so looking for something that excels in low light, has good image stabilization and decent zoom. Not concerned about internal memory, happy with a memory card since they are so cheap. And I have a new mac computer, so must be mac compatible.

I heard good things about the canon but was wondering if this panasonic is better?

Or is there another model I should consider? Happy to spend up around the $550 price range, but if there is something cheaper, even better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-13-2012, 03:24 PM

Liked: 14
I am dying to know this as well. I have a Panasonic v500M sitting here (unopened), but I can't make up my mind as to whether I want the Canon M500 or R32.

I haven't seen any real reviews on any of the cameras.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-13-2012, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by igledaisy View Post

Hello, its time I buy a new camcorder and am a bit overwhelmed with the choices today. I want to use it for family memories, so looking for something that excels in low light, has good image stabilization and decent zoom. Not concerned about internal memory, happy with a memory card since they are so cheap. And I have a new mac computer, so must be mac compatible.

I heard good things about the canon but was wondering if this panasonic is better?

Or is there another model I should consider? Happy to spend up around the $550 price range, but if there is something cheaper, even better

I just bought the HF M50 and the only thing i would consider better in the Canon line would be the HF G10 and that would be because of the lens . Other than that the M52,50,and 500 are the same except for the hard drive . M52 has a 32-gig built-in which is very convienant cause you can get alot of video on there especially if your shooting MP4 but also has a card slot . The M50 has a 8-gig built-in but a slot for a card also . The M500 only has a card slot . So depending the size card you get (64-gig recommended if you can swing the $$) . I don't plan to shoot alot outside at night but i do know that if it's too dark outside and thee is no light source the lowlight sensor doesn't do a fantastic job but if your near lighted areas like lamp poles or downtown areas exc..... , it works just fine . It's great inside for sure ! It has 40xand 200x digital zoom and if you check out the topic i started you can see some video examples along with picture images it takes . I'm well pleased with my HF M50 ! I tried 2 others and took them back . The Sony HDR-XR260V had terrible CA (Chromatic Aberration) and for the $$ i could not accept that . SONY moderator on the forum told me that was natural and if i read the manual and saw where it said to change the apeture to solve that problem it would have been corrected ??? Sorry but the apeture has nothing to do with CA , it's all in the glass of the lens of how it's grinded and aligned . I've done alot of photography in the last 12-15 yrs and i know that CA is evident in low quality glass . So reguardless what pointers you get from anyone , the biggest pointer i'll give you is be sure you get good glass in whatever camcorder you get . You take a movie and watch it play back and you wonder why bright areas have that large amount of purple or blue halo on objects in your movie you'll see what i mean . When you test out a camcorder at the store point it towards a bright light source and zoom in and if the lens is bad with CA it will show up then . I zoomed in on Venus with 200x zoom and Venus being extremely bright my HF M50 had such slight amount of CA that i was just shocked ! When i had the SONY i zoomed in on the Moon and it was covered in CA . When i took a daytime video in my back yard green bushes were even covered up in CA . I took it back ! So what ever decision you make just remember that this is a camcorder i want to keep a long long time so get the best you can afford , don't accept a cheaper one just because you want to cut corners ! Good luck and let us know what you decide also .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg2003gt View Post

I am dying to know this as well. I have a Panasonic v500M sitting here (unopened), but I can't make up my mind as to whether I want the Canon M500 or R32.

Find the thread i started on the Canon HF M52, M50 and M500 . They are all the same except the Hard drive part . You can compare all 3 side by side at Canon Here . BTW i first bought the Canon HF R300 and took it back . The lowlight sensor isn't that good . At night inside my home i took both MP4 and AVCHD videos and they were very disappointing in the quality of the video ! Daytime shots outside were great , no complaints but i wanted better so i upgraded to the HF M50 . I'm pleased totally ! I thought i would save money with this one but i wasn't . The R30,32 and R300 are basically the same also except the Hard drives again . And one last thing also it has a smaller CMOS sensor than the M50 .
post #4 of 6 Old 05-14-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:

The HC-V700 from Panasonic is probably the more direct competitor to the M500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg2003gt View Post

Camcorderinfo did a review of the M52, which is essentially the same as the M500 (minus WiFi, and a couple other minor features).

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...der-Review.htm
post #5 of 6 Old 05-14-2012, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for great information. I read the review, so was wondering if someone can explain in plain english the difference in Canon HF M41 and M50? the review didn't seem too impressed with the new features but on b&h there seems to be a few differences (that is too technical for me)

Also how beneficial is it to have the internal memory? I figure the cards are so cheap, I would use them instead, thus M500 was my original pick.

And how does the M500 compare to panasonic HC-V700?
post #6 of 6 Old 05-15-2012, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Thank you everyone for great information. I read the review, so was wondering if someone can explain in plain english the difference in Canon HF M41 and M50? the review didn't seem too impressed with the new features but on b&h there seems to be a few differences (that is too technical for me)

Also how beneficial is it to have the internal memory? I figure the cards are so cheap, I would use them instead, thus M500 was my original pick.

And how does the M500 compare to panasonic HC-V700?

If you can get a M41 then if you want a Canon then that is one you should go for if you don't want the bells and whistles . You can disable the Wi-Fi in the M50 and M52 and not even mess with it which is what i did . Other than that if your wanting to save money then get a cheaper camcorder . Can't say how it compares to the Panasonic . The one i saw at BestBuy was a different one and it didn't come close to comparing with the M5 series at all but it was 3 times cheaper also . Main thing is satisfying what you really want in the way of useability and quality you want . Does it fit your needs or are you wanting more ? When you answer those questions yourself you will find the camera that best fits you . And i don't want to go into detail but i did not agree with everything that review said about the M52 but i'm not the one that did the review so i'll let it lay .
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page