Need advice on choosing best family Camcorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-18-2012, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ITemplate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I need a good allround family camcorder. The last time I investigated I found the Panasonic TMC700. But that seems to be too old to buy now. If I want a new camcorder which stands out like the Panasonic did some years ago - what should I look at?

I value very very good low light performance, but also I want the camcorder to stand out and really make a difference in terms of image stability (image doesnt shake)...you know, things that makes a difference when comparing to a DSLR camera and their video capabilities.

My price range is not that important but I figure $1000+ sounds right? What should I look at? I have found the Canon LEGRIA HF M36 that seems to stand out in reviews...?

--
Werner
ITemplate is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 05-18-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bsprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 2,862
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Werner,

I'm sure you didn't mean to put in a link to a battery, but you did! That is not a camera.

Any Canon, Panasonic or Sony you get in the $1000 range will do a great job as an all around family camcorder. The Canon HF-M50 and Panasonic HC-V700 seem to be current popular choices. If I were looking for a camera right now, I would consider one of the three 2012 Sony's with the "Balanced Optical Steady Shot" feature such as the Sony PJ710V. The lens is on some sort of gimbal and moves to improve steadiness.

Bill
bsprague is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 05-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Senior Member
 
spyker1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITemplate View Post

Hi,
I need a good allround family camcorder. The last time I investigated I found the Panasonic TMC700. But that seems to be too old to buy now. If I want a new camcorder which stands out like the Panasonic did some years ago - what should I look at?

I value very very good low light performance, but also I want the camcorder to stand out and really make a difference in terms of image stability (image doesnt shake)...you know, things that makes a difference when comparing to a DSLR camera and their video capabilities.

My price range is not that important but I figure $1000+ sounds right? What should I look at? I have found the Canon LEGRIA HF M36 that seems to stand out in reviews...?

--
Werner

i am waiting for sony HDR-GW77V

http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/...withstands.htm
spyker1212 is online now  
post #4 of 9 Old 05-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
brunerww's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITemplate View Post

Hi,
I need a good allround family camcorder. The last time I investigated I found the Panasonic TMC700. But that seems to be too old to buy now. If I want a new camcorder which stands out like the Panasonic did some years ago - what should I look at?

I value very very good low light performance, but also I want the camcorder to stand out and really make a difference in terms of image stability (image doesnt shake)...you know, things that makes a difference when comparing to a DSLR camera and their video capabilities.

My price range is not that important but I figure $1000+ sounds right? What should I look at? I have found the Canon LEGRIA HF M36 that seems to stand out in reviews...?

--
Werner

Werner - I bought a 2011 Panasonic TM900 on closeout a few months ago as the 2012 models started to roll out. Great camera, but the price has climbed back up to the point that it's no longer a good deal.

Even though there aren't a lot of samples or reports from users on the 2012 models yet, the new Sony HDR-PJ580v is getting some pretty glowing reviews, like this one from B&H. The projector mode looks very interesting.

If the projector doesn't meet your needs, you can't go wrong with either the Canon HF M36 - or the successor to the TM700/900, the Panasonic X900M. Image quality for the X900M is at least as good as the TM700 and TM900 were.

Good luck with your decision!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
brunerww is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 05-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Senior Member
 
GI Joe Sixpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Werner,

I'm sure you didn't mean to put in a link to a battery, but you did! That is not a camera.

Actually, I'm sure he didn't. The forum added that all by itself. It has happened to a few of my posts as well and it is more than a little annoying.
GI Joe Sixpack is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 05-18-2012, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ITemplate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI Joe Sixpack View Post

Actually, I'm sure he didn't. The forum added that all by itself. It has happened to a few of my posts as well and it is more than a little annoying.

Yes that's right Joe, it wasn't me

--
Werner
ITemplate is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 05-18-2012, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ITemplate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Werner,

I'm sure you didn't mean to put in a link to a battery, but you did! That is not a camera.

Any Canon, Panasonic or Sony you get in the $1000 range will do a great job as an all around family camcorder. The Canon HF-M50 and Panasonic HC-V700 seem to be current popular choices. If I were looking for a camera right now, I would consider one of the three 2012 Sony's with the "Balanced Optical Steady Shot" feature such as the Sony PJ710V. The lens is on some sort of gimbal and moves to improve steadiness.

Bill

Yes the Sony PJ710V is impressive, and the projector is cool. However that particular model is not to be had in my country. The HDR-PJ740VE is however, but that's just too expensive I think. There's a wife factor involved here too

--
Werner
ITemplate is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 05-18-2012, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ITemplate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker1212 View Post

i am waiting for sony HDR-GW77V

http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/...withstands.htm

Very nice, I need to read more about that model. I like that it is waterproof and resistant to shocks etc. Opens up some new possibilities I didn't consider at first.

--
Werner
ITemplate is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 05-19-2012, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ITemplate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunerww View Post

Werner - I bought a 2011 Panasonic TM900 on closeout a few months ago as the 2012 models started to roll out. Great camera, but the price has climbed back up to the point that it's no longer a good deal.

Even though there aren't a lot of samples or reports from users on the 2012 models yet, the new Sony HDR-PJ580v is getting some pretty glowing reviews, like this one from B&H. The projector mode looks very interesting.

If the projector doesn't meet your needs, you can't go wrong with either the Canon HF M36 - or the successor to the TM700/900, the Panasonic X900M. Image quality for the X900M is at least as good as the TM700 and TM900 were.

Good luck with your decision!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Thanks for your suggestions. I like them all, but I'm especially interested in the Panasonic HC-X900. It is just within my price range and I like the reviews. I also like tje Panasonic V700 which sounds like a good price/quality deal.

I need to check out the waterproof Sony's also, but it looks like Panasonic for me.

Thanks for your suggestions all...

--
Werner
ITemplate is offline  
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off