Need advice on choosing best family Camcorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-18-2012, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I need a good allround family camcorder. The last time I investigated I found the Panasonic TMC700. But that seems to be too old to buy now. If I want a new camcorder which stands out like the Panasonic did some years ago - what should I look at?

I value very very good low light performance, but also I want the camcorder to stand out and really make a difference in terms of image stability (image doesnt shake)...you know, things that makes a difference when comparing to a DSLR camera and their video capabilities.

My price range is not that important but I figure $1000+ sounds right? What should I look at? I have found the Canon LEGRIA HF M36 that seems to stand out in reviews...?

--
Werner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-18-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Werner,

I'm sure you didn't mean to put in a link to a battery, but you did! That is not a camera.

Any Canon, Panasonic or Sony you get in the $1000 range will do a great job as an all around family camcorder. The Canon HF-M50 and Panasonic HC-V700 seem to be current popular choices. If I were looking for a camera right now, I would consider one of the three 2012 Sony's with the "Balanced Optical Steady Shot" feature such as the Sony PJ710V. The lens is on some sort of gimbal and moves to improve steadiness.

Bill
post #3 of 9 Old 05-18-2012, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITemplate View Post

Hi,
I need a good allround family camcorder. The last time I investigated I found the Panasonic TMC700. But that seems to be too old to buy now. If I want a new camcorder which stands out like the Panasonic did some years ago - what should I look at?

I value very very good low light performance, but also I want the camcorder to stand out and really make a difference in terms of image stability (image doesnt shake)...you know, things that makes a difference when comparing to a DSLR camera and their video capabilities.

My price range is not that important but I figure $1000+ sounds right? What should I look at? I have found the Canon LEGRIA HF M36 that seems to stand out in reviews...?

--
Werner

i am waiting for sony HDR-GW77V

http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/...withstands.htm
post #4 of 9 Old 05-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITemplate View Post

Hi,

--
Werner

Werner - I bought a 2011 Panasonic TM900 on closeout a few months ago as the 2012 models started to roll out. Great camera, but the price has climbed back up to the point that it's no longer a good deal.

Even though there aren't a lot of samples or reports from users on the 2012 models yet, the new Sony HDR-PJ580v is getting some pretty glowing reviews, like this one from B&H. The projector mode looks very interesting.

If the projector doesn't meet your needs, you can't go wrong with either the Canon HF M36 - or the successor to the TM700/900, the Panasonic X900M. Image quality for the X900M is at least as good as the TM700 and TM900 were.

Good luck with your decision!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #5 of 9 Old 05-18-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Werner,

I'm sure you didn't mean to put in a link to a battery, but you did! That is not a camera.

Actually, I'm sure he didn't. The forum added that all by itself. It has happened to a few of my posts as well and it is more than a little annoying.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-18-2012, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI Joe Sixpack View Post

Actually, I'm sure he didn't. The forum added that all by itself. It has happened to a few of my posts as well and it is more than a little annoying.

Yes that's right Joe, it wasn't me

--
Werner
post #7 of 9 Old 05-18-2012, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Werner,

Any Canon, Panasonic or Sony you get in the $1000 range will do a great job as an all around family camcorder. The Canon HF-M50 and Panasonic HC-V700 seem to be current popular choices. If I were looking for a camera right now, I would consider one of the three 2012 Sony's with the "Balanced Optical Steady Shot" feature such as the Sony PJ710V. The lens is on some sort of gimbal and moves to improve steadiness.

Bill

Yes the Sony PJ710V is impressive, and the projector is cool. However that particular model is not to be had in my country. The HDR-PJ740VE is however, but that's just too expensive I think. There's a wife factor involved here too

--
Werner
post #8 of 9 Old 05-18-2012, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker1212 View Post

i am waiting for sony HDR-GW77V

http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/...withstands.htm

Very nice, I need to read more about that model. I like that it is waterproof and resistant to shocks etc. Opens up some new possibilities I didn't consider at first.

--
Werner
post #9 of 9 Old 05-19-2012, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunerww View Post

Werner - I bought a 2011 Panasonic TM900 on closeout a few months ago as the 2012 models started to roll out. Great camera, but the price has climbed back up to the point that it's no longer a good deal.

Even though there aren't a lot of samples or reports from users on the 2012 models yet, the new Sony HDR-PJ580v is getting some pretty glowing reviews, like this one from B&H. The projector mode looks very interesting.

If the projector doesn't meet your needs, you can't go wrong with either the Canon HF M36 - or the successor to the TM700/900, the Panasonic X900M. Image quality for the X900M is at least as good as the TM700 and TM900 were.

Good luck with your decision!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Thanks for your suggestions. I like them all, but I'm especially interested in the Panasonic HC-X900. It is just within my price range and I like the reviews. I also like tje Panasonic V700 which sounds like a good price/quality deal.

I need to check out the waterproof Sony's also, but it looks like Panasonic for me.

Thanks for your suggestions all...

--
Werner
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page