Seeking advice for first camcorder, motorcycle use too. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-19-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello,

I am playing with the idea of purchasing a camcorder. 3D would be nice too if one works well. Will be riding route 66 later this year and think it would be cool to mount a 2D or 3D camcorder on the bars while riding. I have a 3D tv and a 3D projector so if there is a good 3D camcorder around $1k give/take a few hundred I would like to read on them. But if you think there is a better high resolution 2D for the money I would like to know that too.
I see Gopro cameras is there a advantage one way or the other with them compared to hand held camcorders? Again 3D and 2D? Thinking the hand helds are not as rugged but rugged enough to be handle bar mounted and removing in wet/rain conditions but excel over the gopro in image quality?

Anyways any and all thoughts are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-20-2012, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

Hello,

I am playing with the idea of purchasing a camcorder. 3D would be nice too if one works well. Will be riding route 66 later this year and think it would be cool to mount a 2D or 3D camcorder on the bars while riding. I have a 3D tv and a 3D projector so if there is a good 3D camcorder around $1k give/take a few hundred I would like to read on them. But if you think there is a better high resolution 2D for the money I would like to know that too.
I see Gopro cameras is there a advantage one way or the other with them compared to hand held camcorders? Again 3D and 2D? Thinking the hand helds are not as rugged but rugged enough to be handle bar mounted and removing in wet/rain conditions but excel over the gopro in image quality?

Anyways any and all thoughts are appreciated.

There are a lot of great 3D cameras out there, to include my TM900 with its VW-CL1 adapter - and you're right that these cameras have great image quality, but most of them won't be robust enough to survive the trip. Sounds like you might want a couple of GoPros and a GoPro 3D Expansion Kit. Looks like it produces pretty good results: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYJ1YBL39lo

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #3 of 6 Old 05-20-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice and thoughts. You do not believe the handhelds from Sony, JVC, Panasonic etc would hold up to being mounted on a motorcycle? Shock should be about like running while shooting but yes wind speed will be higher. Be all street ride no offroading. Will try and get some youtube gopro video's to work on the projector. Internet is pretty limited here in McMurdo Antarctica.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-21-2012, 12:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
m4m - the Panasonic approach, which is to take a camera like my TM900 and screw an adapter on the lens, results in a long, ungainly contraption that doesn't seem (to me) to be suited for handlebar mounting. Repeated road shocks on the unsupported joint between the camera and adapter seem to me to be a bad idea.

The Sony one piece approach appears to better for handlebar mounting, but I have no experience with their 3D cameras. That said, last year's model, the HDR-TD10, looks to be more robust than the Panasonic 3D models and has now been marked down to $1000 at Amazon.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #5 of 6 Old 05-21-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 94
A few months ago I spent a few hours watching YouTubes taken with vehicle mounted cameras. "Shock" was not the issue. It was vibration.

The extra wide angle of the GoPros tend to make the vibration less visible and seems to be the popular choice.

There were some YouTubes of attempts to make vibration damping mounts with foam rubber and other materials. None seemed very effective. I found no commercial "vibration dampening" video camera mounts.

At the time I was trying to shoot as a passenger in a Polaris RZR on a desert ride. The best results were with my Sony HX9V hand held. Between my arm as the dampening device and the camcorder's image stabilization, I was satisfied with the results.

Bill
post #6 of 6 Old 05-21-2012, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Great points you two and thanks for your thoughts. I will concentrate my research into the gopro units. I did see a partial clip of a Gopro 3D from you tube in 720p SBS and it looked good. The poster changed the lenses to rid the fish bowl effect. Wish I had better internet here to view these youtube videos easier
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page