Need advice: HD cam for music venue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-21-2012, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I work for a mid sized music venue. We have a few HD TVs at the bars in the building and we want to send video from the main stage to them. We dont have a large budget to work with. We tried a HD camcorder and HDMI splitter, but the camera would go into sleep mode after a few mins unless we hit record. And yes, I read the manual to see if I could get around it. I cant.
We're legally not allowed to record a lot of the artists that play the venue, so we can't have our TVs displaying "REC" while the band is playing

Can anyone recommend a camcorder that either won't go into sleep mode, or a camcorder that doesn't display "REC" on the TV screen? Is there another/better solution? I looked into security cameras, but they all looked too grainy. We're looking to spends less than $500.

Thank you so much for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Sony camcorders usually require AC power connection and a menu setting to turn off sleep mode. Sony camcorders that record to cassette require no cassette in the deck, plus AC power. I can't guarantee that to specific new models, but that has been my consistent experience with Sony products. The info display through the video output is selectable in the menus too.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
bt - I would get an $80 tripod-mountable 1080p webcam and pipe it into my computer. With $40 Cyberlink YouCam software, you can use your webcam for full screen monitoring (up to 7% off if you get it at TigerDirect through BigCrumbs).

If your computer has HDMI out, you're in business. If not, I would get a $40 VGA to HDMI converter.

The whole setup should cost you less than $200, if you already have the computer and HDMI splitter.

Hope this is helpful - please let us know how it turns out!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution