Need help picking camcorder for kinetic art videos for around $500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-22-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New to the forums, and already very pleased at the information I've managed to dig up by looking through other posts. I need some guidance on purchasing a camcorder for around $500. I know you need specifics to help me, so here they are:

Subject: kinetic metal sculpture
Shooting environment: indoors, sometimes lower lighting issues
Computer: Macbook Pro
Software: iMovie version 6.0.3
Budget: as noted, $500 or close to it
Final intent: Posting videos on Youtube and elsewhere to market my art work. Clarity of the image is very important to me. My sculpture involves marbles or bearings rolling, sometimes at a high rate of speed, so motion clarity is a concern. I also need to occasionally zoom in on small aspects of the sculpture, so a decent zoom is required. Subjects would be around one to three inches in size.

I think that about covers it, at least the basics. I am not an overly technically-oriented person when it comes to computers and video, though I am willing to learn, but playing around with gear is secondary to me in this instance. I really need something that can allow me to accomplish my goal rather simply.

I have looked at some reviews on camcorders such as the Panasonic HDC-TM90, Canon Vixia HF M31, and Canon HF M300. From my guesstimates, these seem to offer some of the functions might need.

Thanks in advance for all the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-22-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
You might consider the Panasonic HCV700K that has replaced the TM90. Or, even the Panasonic FZ150, new for 2012.

The trick will be to get the "high rate of speed" captured and then uploaded to YouTube without apparent quality loss. Choice of camera at that price point may be the easiest part. I don't know anything about iMovie or if it can do it.

Bill
post #3 of 5 Old 05-23-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Bill. I am doing some more research on the Panasonic due to your thoughts. It looks like a decent camera in my price range. I'll have to figure out if it's going to play nice with my Mac. I haven't seen anything that indicates if I might be able to do something like time-lapse video with it. Do you know if that's possible?
post #4 of 5 Old 05-23-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetictom View Post

Thanks, Bill. I am doing some more research on the Panasonic due to your thoughts. It looks like a decent camera in my price range. I'll have to figure out if it's going to play nice with my Mac. I haven't seen anything that indicates if I might be able to do something like time-lapse video with it. Do you know if that's possible?

You can read a .pdf of the manual at Panasonic.com. It appears that time lapse is not included.

The major brands of cameras currently make files that end in .m2ts or .mts. They are part of the AVCHD system that is the standard on every camera I've read about in your price range. If your Mac does not play nice, the problem is the Mac or the software you are using on it.

Bill
post #5 of 5 Old 05-23-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again, Bill. I have found at least one Mac user who is using the HCV700 with some converting software and having zero problems. Looks like unless I am willing to dig back for a miniDV recorder I'm going to be using some type of converter, which is okay with me as it seems there are really no other options. Fortunately, the converter he's using is open source, so I don't have to incur extra expense there.

I'm getting things narrowed a bit. I appreciate your help. I'm kind of getting a handle on what I should be looking for.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page