Reliable Consumer Steadicam - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-27-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death, but I can't find anything recent especially for camcorders.
I am tired of the video shake while walking, and would like to get a solid steadicam (without shelling out thousands). I am looking for other people's recommendations - I am using a Panasonic camcorder with excellent video, but with the battery weighs just over 500g - and with my 1st try with a Lensse MidX have gotten fairly adequate to mediocre results (some due to me, but hard to say since it's tough to calibrate). Plus with the very light weight it's always bottom heavy and I only got the better results I did by retrofitting the top with more weights.
I am willing to hold my nose and get the Merlin 2 if I must, but if there is a more cost effective way, please tell me.
I have looked at the Glidecam XR-1000 and Opteka SteadyVid PRO on Amazon and am interested...there also is the Balvanz MiniDV Stabilizer by balvanzenterprises.
I also love the fact that for the Balvanz and Glidecam you can actually set the thing down - something I really wanted while on a trip and running around carrying stuff.
If anyone has some good advice and experience, I would really love to hear it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-27-2012, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-observer View Post

Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death, but I can't find anything recent especially for camcorders.
I am tired of the video shake while walking, and would like to get a solid steadicam (without shelling out thousands). I am looking for other people's recommendations - I am using a Panasonic :

i have sony and panasonic camcorder... if you want to shoot while walking or while you are moving arround... a sony camcorder is the best choice....

i went to a party last week and bought the panasonic... the indoor shot looks great but....most of the footeage needs to be cut due to video shake... but if you mount the panasonic to tripod or videocam stabilizer.. panasonic wins out... but too much bulking to carry arround and people will get distracted with your big bulking attached and video will be unnatural....

i am thinking of getting a sony hdr-gw77.... have to wait cause its only available in japan...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=hWRmWuQF9vc
post #3 of 4 Old 05-28-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I use a light weight monopod with a ball head. I don't usually extend it all the way or put the foot on the ground. Usually I have the ball head bent so that the monpod foot is squeezed between my arm and ribs. Sometimes, I tuck the foot behind my belt or even in a pants pocket. It even helps just as a handle fully retracted and held horizontally -- sort of like hold handle bars on bike with a camera attached.

If I want to use it more like a steady cam, I use a small bar I made to mount it upside down on the monopod. When I turn the camera upright I have a vertical "handle" for the camera. I hold the monopod a foot or so above the camera and adjust the ball head for levelness. The weight of the camera is below where I am holding the monopod so I get a steady cam effect.

No, a monopod is not a steady cam. But, you don't have to balance it, it is more convenient to use, more versatile, a lot cheaper and the results are pretty good, especially when the camera has some stabilization built in.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-09-2012, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have played with a small steady cam but the things are big and really attract attraction.
I like monopods, have a nice carbon graphite one that doubles as a walking stick and one time, last year, had my canon hv40 hdv cam mounted on it when I thought I might have to use it as a self defense weapon!
I have panny 3d1 and because of the size, shake is pretty bad. I think the answer might be pretty simple- I have an old L shape bracket that I will attach to it. These things are cheap, have a nice handle and make it easier to keep the camera steady.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page