Why should I? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-30-2012, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am considering selling my Sony SR11 and picking up the Sony CX760, and I am on pins and needles, vascillating back and forth over this. Would this be a good thing to do? Or maybe would it be a stupid thing to do?
Convince me why I either should or shouldn't do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-30-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 100
1. AVCHD 2.0 format compatible (1080/60p - original format) and included software that knows what to do with it.
2. Image Stabilization : Balanced Optical SteadyShotâ„¢ image stabilization w/ Active mode (Wide to Tele)

Bill
post #3 of 11 Old 05-31-2012, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

1. AVCHD 2.0 format compatible (1080/60p - original format) and included software that knows what to do with it.
2. Image Stabilization : Balanced Optical SteadyShot image stabilization w/ Active mode (Wide to Tele)

Bill

Thanks Bill.

I understand about the image stabilization. Can you give me an explanation on the AVCHD 2.0 format?

Mike
post #4 of 11 Old 05-31-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railfan View Post

I understand about the image stabilization. Can you give me an explanation on the AVCHD 2.0 format?

From Wikipedia: "Developed jointly by Sony and Panasonic, the AVCHD 1.0 format was introduced in 2006 primarily for use in high definition consumer camcorders. Favorable comparisons of AVCHD against HDV and XDCAM EX solidified perception of AVCHD as a format acceptable for professional usage. Panasonic released the first professional AVCHD camcorder in autumn of 2008, followed by Sony in the first quarter of 2010.

In 2011 the AVCHD specification was amended to include 1080-line 50-frame/s and 60-frame/s modes (AVCHD Progressive) and stereoscopic video (AVCHD 3D). The new modes also allowed higher system data rate than existing modes. (AVCHD 2.0)

AVCHD and its logo are trademarks of Panasonic and Sony."

I looked up the specs for your camera and did not fully understand Sony's description of its version of HD. But, I didn't see where it would do 1080p60. I think it does a lesser version of HD.

You can read the rest of the details about AVCHD with either a Google search or Wikipedia search. It gets technical, but in simple terms it is about containers, codecs and formats. The idea is to efficiently collect video data in files that can be used by players and software. "Compression" is involved to keep file sizes lower. Compression is good for keeping file size down, but bad for preserving detail, especially where motion is involved.

You probably know this part, but HD comes in flavors of both "interlaced" and "progressive" with various numbers of vertical lines and frame rates. With progressive all the horizontal lines in each frame on the TV are replaced. Interlaced is left over from CRT TVs and alternate lines are updated with each frame. So with 1080p60 you get all 1080 lines updated in 60 frames per second. With that setting selected, you get the least amount of compression. In other words, the picture quality is as good as it gets until the consumer electronics industry invents all new TVs (again).

Bill
post #5 of 11 Old 05-31-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Bill.
A bunch of that I already knew, but did not know about AVCHD2.0. I suspect that the resulting video quality should be better, right? The SR11 does produce a great picture, can only imagine what the CX760 will produce. Wonder if it will be enough to see on my 720p plasma.

Mainly, I am interested in the image stabilization and the focus feature that follows the identified subject within the frame. Low light prformance is also important, in that the SR11 is only somewhat OK in that department. Hoping that the 760 will be noticeably better. Am unfamiliar with the storage medium, as I have never had to work with that before. Have some learning to do.

How is depth of field? Videoing model railroad layouts presents a major challenge in that many times it is impossible to get far enough away from the layout to get an adequate depth of field (large enough depth to have more of everything in the picture in focus). Standing back from the layout and then zooming in to eliminate surrounding unwanted clutter can be a real challenge when trying to keep a model train moving in your direction in focus, as well as keeping as much of the background and surrounding scenery in focus. Many times the camcorder just can't do both with a shallow depth of field.
Hoping that the tracking focus will help keep the main subject in focus better as it moves towards or perpendicular to you. This kind of shooting is a challenge.

And lastly, autofocus. Does it hunt around as much as my SR11 does? When shooting scenery, especially telephoto shots, the autofocus had a hard time. Hopefully the 760 has improved on that.

Thanks.
Mike
post #6 of 11 Old 06-01-2012, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hi Railfan - you may find this post from dpreview useful in answering at least some of your questions. It's from someone who upgraded from the SR11 to the PJ710, which is very similar to the CX760: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=41665926

Cheers,

the Other Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #7 of 11 Old 06-02-2012, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Bill (the other Bill).

While I like the SR11, there are a couple of things that bother me. One is the autofocus, and the other is the night, or low light performance. There must be significant improvement for me to jump to another cam. The 760 is suppose to be better, but I am wondering how much better.

The 760 looks really good on the spec sheet, with the possible exception of the extended zoom. It zooms up to 10x normally (which is too little) and up to 17x with the extended zoom, supposedly little loss to video guality. I have my reservations about that, and would like to see some examples of this extended zoom. I video wildlife from time to time and really need an extended, clear, high quality video, zoom. The SR11 also was not good enough with its 12x zoom. Fortunately, I also have the Sony FX7, with a 20x zoom, but even that sometimes is inadaquate.

So I will wait for some more video tests for the 760, with the extended zoom and low light tests. Maybe someone will even compare the 760 with older Sony cams, like the SR11/12. But I can't wait too much longer as summer is just about here.

Mike
post #8 of 11 Old 06-02-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The SR11 shoots interlaced only. If you watch on a TV then you probably don't care. Sony still has not restarted making cams with full manual exposure control (the HC1 was the last one AFAIK), so no improvements here.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-02-2012, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railfan View Post

How is depth of field?
Mike

Funny you ask- I got a Sony HC3 hdv cam around '05, moved up to the Canon hv40, another HDV cam in '09. Saw no need to go tape less as tape was much cheaper than memory and my hv40 allowed all kinds of adjustment.
Well, I am about to go on my first vacation where most of my video will be avchd. The camera? A panasonic 3d1. Yup, it is 3d camera that also does pretty good video.
As far as I can tell, the only adj you can do with 3d video is exposure, everything else is auto (in all fairness, it is pretty decent auto). However, for depth, wow, lots of depth! My 72" Samsung dlp now looks like a window to the world, the 3d is pretty good and I really pleased at its low light indoor performance. Stabilization is optical and pretty good too though when I go to Kona, I'll attach it to my carbon monopod and it'll double as a walking stick.
I'll still bring my HV40 and use it for distance stuff, but come next year, I'll get a dedicated 3d cam (like the Sony 20) and that will be when my HV40 is formally decomissioned and joins my other old cams on camcorder row in the back of my closet (Sony 101 Hi8, Panny pv200 DV, Sony HC3 hdv)
post #10 of 11 Old 06-03-2012, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds good to me. Glad you have found something that meets your needs. However, I am not ready for 3D. Nor do I think, is my current audience/market. Maybe in a few years if this 3D phenomenum catches on big time, would I invest in 3D equipment and appeal to the 3D market.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-07-2012, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Since the zoom on the CX760 is so limited, what is available, in telephoto lenses? I shoot subjects that can be quite a distance away (up to a mile away), and when using a tripod, I need to be able to get right up, reasonably close. Any recomendations?

Mike
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page