Sony DSC-RX100: New and maybe interesting reading - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-06-2012, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Interesting reading for people that want pocket sized, large sensor, stabilized 1080p.

Dpreview.com,

PC World,

Washington Post,

And, Sony.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-06-2012, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm definitely interested in how this compares to the HX9. Hopefully slightly better video & much improved still due to Zeiss
post #3 of 9 Old 06-06-2012, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You can be pretty sure the video quality won't be better than that from the NEX-series cameras and very likely to be closer to the video from the HX9/20/30V, HX100/200V with some degree of artifacts as a result of downsampling from the 20 Megapixel sensor.

Can Sony make it great or better? Yes, they can but that won't be allowed as it means destroying their NEX market and maybe their entire AVCHD Handycam line too. The selective dumbing down of features and capability of their products is essential to maintaining the marketability of all the product categories.

I've been a loyal user of Sony video gear at both professional and consumer levels for 10++ years for a variety of different reasons but I can assure you the above has always been true of Sony and maybe the competitors like Canon and Panasonic as well.

Nikon, Pentax and Olympus have not been burdened with the need to protect part of their income when it comes to video but disappointingly, none of them has seemed to have the means or expertise to compete with the former big three on the video front so far. mad.gif
post #4 of 9 Old 06-07-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 131
"You can be pretty sure the video quality won't be better than that from the NEX-series cameras and very likely to be closer to the video from the HX9/20/30V, HX100/200V with some degree of artifacts as a result of downsampling from the 20 Megapixel sensor."

While I share your observation that Sony has tried to limit the capabilities of its consumer cams, this camera is different and you are not correct about it being on par with the HX line. Compared with that line:

1. You now have full manual control over video: that includes, shutter, aperture, any combination (full manual).

2. You have manual focus, with a nice ring too, not a little dial. And focus peaking, just like the pro cameras (and NEX).

3. You have a much larger sensor. This means much better low-light performance *and* nice dof effects (background oof).

4. There is a real aperture blade, so bokeh will be much nicer.

We have to wait for the reviews, but in terms of capabilities, this is a real breathrough for a pocket video camera.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-08-2012, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This is a big step [or reads like one] in the right direction for compact cameras. Especially coming from the HX9, great video (for size) & IS. Of course, a Nex-5n is what I really desire, but that turns into a Voigtlander lens (>$900) in a blink of an eye.

Too many hobbies, not enough time or money.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-08-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

On the photo side it also allows the increasingly popular RAW mode. Some consider that RAW shooting should have been put into the HX20/30V replacements for the HX9V.

Bill
post #7 of 9 Old 08-11-2012, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This may be an old thread, but I found a video that may be interesting. At least I find it interesting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E5YT4a7z7A

Bill
post #8 of 9 Old 08-12-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I also saw an RX100 on display when I was in a BestBuy taking videos to compare the CX760 and GW77. Unfortunately, the way it was tethered prevented me from inserting an sd card to take comparative videos. What I did see was informative:

1. The zoom lever is much like that of the HX9v - clumsy, not easily controllable, and noisy. It only has one speed, and you really have to watch not going over to the digital zoom part, which highly degrades (from videos seen) and cannot be turned off.

2. The 3" LCD screen is 4:3 not 16:9. So in video mode, which is 16:9, you get black bars top and bottom - and the effective screen real estate for viewing in video mode is comparatively tiny and filled with icons. It is useful to see what exposure (f-stop and shutter) is being selected in auto, of course. But there is no indication of gain or iso, which is a key parameter.

3. The RX100 has trouble with reds in low light. The reds come out brownish red. I have seen this in comparative videos (the comparisons are to Sony camcorders).

This photo shows you what I am talking about - you see the truncated view in video, and how the screen shows the actual reds as brownish (the reds in the picture are accurate (you all have seen those Sandisk cards - they are red, not brown)). Interestingly, the RX100 chooses at f1.8 a shutter of 1/125th. The GW77 that I used to take the picture "chose" 1/60th of a second at the same aperture.

DSC00055.jpg
post #9 of 9 Old 09-08-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I ordered one to be here Wednesday.

1. It will fit in my pocket.
2. I want to learn about RAW photos.
3. I want to learn what the bigger sensor will do.
4. I want to learn about HDR.
5. It is supposed to make good video, but maybe not the best. But, good enough.

I fought impulses to buy nothing or the GW77 instead. After weeks of thinking about it, I remembered I enjoy both video and photo, including the post processing. Photoshop and Premier Elements are a great deal of fun to learn. I'm looking forward to learning Lightroom as well.

The GW77 seems clearly better at video, but won't help me learn RAW, HDR and Lightroom.

Maybe next year I can get the GW78 (or whatever is the equivalent).

Bill
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page