Video camere for human motion analysis. Panasonic gs300/320? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2012, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, we need to make synchronous videos from 2 cameras to see how human walking..
Guys who used to do this, said me to try Panasonic nv- GS300 or GS320. What you think about those cameras?

How long firewire cable can I connect to such cameras?

Tnx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 35
These are DV cameras. They were ok cameras five years ago. They shoot in traditional interlaced format. You will need to deinterlace correctly.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I do high speed video of tennis strokes using a Casio FH100. Your application is different.

Kinovea is an open source application for comparing videos, making measurements, etc. for sports or other applications. They have discussions on recording and comparing two cameras. Suggest that you look at the Kinovea forums. Also post there to find other researchers with experience.

Walking is pretty slow but I'd still look over my Kinovea thread on Basic High Speed Video Camera Considerations. Calculate motion between frames and motion blur for any camera that you are interested in. In particular, look at the information on indoor illumination and AUTO Exposure control. With AUTO control the exposure time (shutter speed) is usually unknown. If you are going to work indoors with the reduced illumination and your video camera only has AUTO exposure control there may be considerable motion blur depending on your required measurement accuracy.

The most advanced technology for your subject area can be found searching "motion capture".
Old 06-09-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

These are DV cameras. They were ok cameras five years ago. They shoot in traditional interlaced format. You will need to deinterlace correctly.
What means to interlace? What camera is better for now? I am not good at this question, but I need to find good cameras for motion capture with 2 cameras at the same time.. sinchrone with "pressure walking way". Guys said me that they are using those panasonic cameras because they are 3 matricas cameras with firewire cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Tennis View Post

I do high speed video of tennis strokes using a Casio FH100. Your application is different.
Kinovea is an open source application for comparing videos, making measurements, etc. for sports or other applications. They have discussions on recording and comparing two cameras. Suggest that you look at the Kinovea forums. Also post there to find other researchers with experience.
Walking is pretty slow but I'd still look over my Kinovea thread on Basic High Speed Video Camera Considerations. Calculate motion between frames and motion blur for any camera that you are interested in. In particular, look at the information on indoor illumination and AUTO Exposure control. With AUTO control the exposure time (shutter speed) is usually unknown. If you are going to work indoors with the reduced illumination and your video camera only has AUTO exposure control there may be considerable motion blur depending on your required measurement accuracy.
The most advanced technology for your subject area can be found searching "motion capture".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

Thans for your advice, I will look at this soft, but what you think about "Sport motion" and "Motion Pro"? Are they much better or Kinovea is good enough?
Old 06-09-2012, 12:13 PM

I use high speed video for analysis of my tennis strokes, a personal application. I have progressed to the point that I understand the high speed video capabilities very well and also understand considerable tennis stroke mechanics. In each high speed video - by visual inspection - I now produce a list of problems in my tennis strokes. I have a lot of practicing to do before any refining analysis. I've have not spent much time on video analysis or communication at this point. I have only used Kinovea enough to know that it will allow me to compare my strokes to pro strokes side-by-side and Kinovea also has many additional capabilities. I'm not familiar with other software for video analysis.

Example, my test of Kinovea tracking, Only the first serve in this high speed video has tracking.

http://vimeo.com/25414832

I've only scratched the surface of what Kinovea can do. The Kinovea download is free and it works very well.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies.

Can you give me some additional answers?

1) how long firewire cables can I use for video cameras I mentioned at first post that cameras could work correctly, will be ok with 5m firewire?
2) I can't access Kinovea website now, so can this program make synchronic capture from 2 cams?
Old 06-10-2012, 05:31 AM

I believe that the later versions of Kinovea can record two cameras simultaneously but I don't have experience with that capability. For my application using a Casio FH100 I have only recorded to an SD card and then transferred the video files to a computer.

There are some forum threads that deal with that issue as well as recording single cameras.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Well, we would like to use firewire to send signal to computer.