Need Something Like The Kodak Zi8 But Better - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-10-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would really love some help guys ;-)

I have been researching like crazy but not finding exactly what I am looking for as of yet :-(

I mainly use a Kodak Zi8 for most of my videos because of the easy of use and the simple drag and drop of the finished video (.mov) over to my iMac 2011.

I also own a Cannon HV30 which is great… but I hate the extra work involved to import the video over using something like iMovie.

I mainly use my cams for quick training and sales videos for my membership sites and youtube.

All my videos go on the web and usually I stick to about 720x405.

I use a wired lapel mic and plug it directly into the Zi8 Here is the mic: http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-mono.html

about 1-3 times a year I will be using the camcorder to record live seminars that will last 5-10 hours a day for 2-3 days as well.

I am looking to step up my camera from the Zi8 but keep it under $1,000

The most important features for me are:

1. Has mic input and would be great if it was "plug-in power," that has voltage outputs from between 1.5 to 9 volts

2. Records in .mov or .mp4 and or can just drag and drop the finished file over like I do now with the Zi8 (Mac compatible)

3. Would be great if it has a viewfinder that could rotate/ swivel for self shot videos

Some of the cams I have been looking at already:

- GoPro Camera HD HERO2: Doesn't have swivel viewfinder though

- EOS Rebel T3i: Has the swivel viewfinder but couldn't find if the mic input is powered or not?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
rockstar - the T3i does not have a powered mic input. The only cameras that do cost well over $1000. But the real problem with the T3i option is that it can't record more than 12 minutes of continuous video at a time. A real challenge when you're trying to record a 5-10 hour seminar.

At the $1000 price point, to get a format iMovie '11 can use, a mic input, a swiveling LCD, external AC power, and 5-10 hours of recording time, you need either a camcorder like the Panasonic X900M (shooting iFrame), or a Panasonic GH2 (shooting AVCHD or MJPEG using this procedure).

If you really want powered mic inputs, you'll have to spend ~$2000 for a Canon XA10.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #3 of 7 Old 06-11-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunerww View Post

rockstar - the T3i does not have a powered mic input. The only cameras that do cost well over $1000. But the real problem with the T3i option is that it can't record more than 12 minutes of continuous video at a time. A real challenge when you're trying to record a 5-10 hour seminar.
At the $1000 price point, to get a format iMovie '11 can use, a mic input, a swiveling LCD, external AC power, and 5-10 hours of recording time, you need either a camcorder like the Panasonic X900M (shooting iFrame), or a Panasonic GH2 (shooting AVCHD or MJPEG using this procedure).
If you really want powered mic inputs, you'll have to spend ~$2000 for a Canon XA10.
Hope this is helpful,
Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Really? The T3i only records 12 minutes? Thats crazy. guess that option is out then :-(

Also thinking about the Olympus Pen model as well. But it records in avi I read.

My whole goal was to have easy drag and drop video file from the cam like with the kodak zi8 by just using a USB from the cam.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-11-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
B&H Photo has the Panasonic HS900 on sale for $749.00. It has mic input and a swivel lcd for viewing video you are shooting from the front of the camera. It can record for up to 18.5 hrs at it's highest video quality setting (1080/60p) since it records to an internal hard drive. Other video quality settings vary in recording length but up to 94 hours is possible. It will record in iFrame format for 18.5 hours straight. It's a highly rated cam offered at a very good price right now.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749832-REG/Panasonic_HDC_HS900K_HDC_HS900_High_Definition_Camcorder.html

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #5 of 7 Old 06-12-2012, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

B&H Photo has the Panasonic HS900 on sale for $749.00. It has mic input and a swivel lcd for viewing video you are shooting from the front of the camera. It can record for up to 18.5 hrs at it's highest video quality setting (1080/60p) since it records to an internal hard drive. Other video quality settings vary in recording length but up to 94 hours is possible. It will record in iFrame format for 18.5 hours straight. It's a highly rated cam offered at a very good price right now.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749832-REG/Panasonic_HDC_HS900K_HDC_HS900_High_Definition_Camcorder.html

Thanks for the reply and I will check it out.

Just need to see if it has a powered mic input "plug-in power," that has voltage outputs from between 1.5 to 9 volts and how the end file is saved on the cam. Seems like you have to look all over the place to get some of these simple questions answered..lol

If I use the Panasonic HS900 will the video file be saved as a mov or mp4? Can I just drag and drop the file via USB to my laptop and edit it with imovie, screenflow or camtasia?

Or do I need to convert the video file or do a capture using imovie?

Thanks and appreciate the help.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-13-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Your welcome. Hope it gets you closer to finding a cam that fulfills your needs.

iFrame is .mp4 extension (Mac compatible). All other recording modes are .mts file extensions. Clipwrap or a similar conversion program would be needed for Mac compatibility with the .mts files.

I don't know about the mic voltage output. You could call Panasonic support and ask but my guess is they won't know.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #7 of 7 Old 06-13-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

Your welcome. Hope it gets you closer to finding a cam that fulfills your needs.
iFrame is .mp4 extension (Mac compatible). All other recording modes are .mts file extensions. Clipwrap or a similar conversion program would be needed for Mac compatibility with the .mts files.
I don't know about the mic voltage output. You could call Panasonic support and ask but my guess is they won't know.

Just got off the phone with BH and down to the following cams:

Cannon M50, M500, M52

Panasonic HDC-HS900

Sony HDR-CX160

My buddy has this one and says he loves it:

Sony HDR-XR260V

Any last words, thoughts, ideas? lol

After I purchase I just have to figure out the easy way to record the event from our mixer: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1204USB/ to the camera.

Will have 2-3 speakers running into the sound board and then wanted to have just a simple RCA to 3.5mm plug going directly into the camera for audio.... but the guy at BH said it will be too hot and not work? My fiend does this with his zi8 though?

Here is the wire I was talking about: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021809&p_id=5609&seq=1&format=2
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page