Camcorder for around $600. must be good indoors and in bright sunlight - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-14-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey,

Med school student in the Caribbean. Expecting a baby girl in a few months. I need something with good image stabilization, good low-light for indoor shooting, and an LCD that is visible in the bright sunlight (its the brightest sun imaginable every day, all day here). I'm basically just worried about filming the family around the house and outside. I'll probably make a home-made lens hood (tho i wish there were some with optical viewfinders, but i can't find anything in that price range). Well those are the important features.

I already have a dslr, so i don't want another.

Thanks,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Doc - I've had a challenge finding a camera in your price range that does all of the things you want (good in low light - preferably with a viewfinder). Price unconstrained, I'd recommend the Canon HF G10 - but it's $1300(!).

Just about every HD camcorder today produces great images outdoors and has good IS -- it's low light and the viewfinder that are the challenges.

That said, I'm going to recommend the well-reviewed Panasonic HC-700V for $450. It has an internal video light for extreme low light situations and has improved performance in low light over previous Panasonic models.

Here is an example of what it can do in a darkened room with the LED lamp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N9ZvoXTswM

Congratulations on the new addition to the family!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Old 06-17-2012, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
how does the panny compare to a the sony cx260v? lost my cx110 last week while on vacation and now i need a replacement. looking to upgrade a bit too if possible. the cx110 was a decent fit for me/family use... dont need 3d however what advice do you have on these 2?
Old 06-18-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kablooie View Post

how does the panny compare to a the sony cx260v? lost my cx110 last week while on vacation and now i need a replacement. looking to upgrade a bit too if possible. the cx110 was a decent fit for me/family use... dont need 3d however what advice do you have on these 2?

kablooie - Sorry to hear about your lost CX110 :-(

These are both great cameras - and the specs for the CX260V and the HC-V700M are pretty darned close. I like the Sony's higher resolution stills, GPS geotagging, and the fact that it is $30 less expensive than the HC-V700M (with the equivalent amount of built-in memory) at Amazon right now - but I really like the Panasonic's larger sensor, and built in LED lamp for video and flash for stills.

Coming from the CX110, you might be more comfortable with the ergonomics of the CX260 - but when you're in a low-light setting, it would sure be nice to have that built-in movie light :-)

Hope this is helpful, and good luck with your decision!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
kablooie likes this.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kablooie View Post

I bought the HDR XR260V and the chromatic aberration (purple halo on bright objects) was so bad i took it back and got a Canon HF M50 . Since your wanting a view finder to look through the HF M41 or the HF M40 are also excellent choices . The HFM50 does not have a view finder but the LCD brightness can be adjusted to be able to see out in bright sunlight . I've run across where this was mentioned and they said they could not see the LCD screen but that person did not check the settings to see if it was adjustable . I adjust any time i'm in bright sunlight .