Panasonic HC-X900M vs. Canon HF M50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-17-2012, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all, I'm new here, just wanted to ask a question as I'm looking to upgrade my aging camcorder from 2007.

After doing some research I think the best options for me are the Panasonic HC-X900M and the Canon HF M50. I know they're not exactly in the same category, but they've both received excellent marks on video quality, which is the most important thing. RIght now you can pick up the HF M50 for ~$550 on Amazon, and the X900M for $900. Now, I don't really need all the 'prosumer' options on the X900M, but the 1080-60p recording option is very attractive to me, and I know the HF M50 doesn't have the same ability (it's either 1080-60i or 720-60p, if I recall correctly). I'll be using the camera in less than idea conditions, so it needs to be good in low light (pretty sure both are) and needs to handle motion well (why I'm thinking the 60p at 1080 will be nice). It'll be primarily for travel/home videos/etc... and I'll be editing it in Vegas Pro on my desktop, if that matters at all.

Anyway, I suppose my question is, is the 60 progressive frames at 1920x1080 worth the extra $300 dollars for the Panasonic, or is that just not really worth it? Or does anyone with experience with both cameras know if one is particularly better than the other for video capture (don't really care about stills).

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-17-2012, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think what you need to do is watch this short video from Canon before you try making up your mid . I own a M50 and love it but i'm not familiar with the Panasonic model at all so i can't say anything about it . But like i said first understand how the CMOS Pro Chip works as far as taking HD movies by watching this short film .

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/hd_cmos_pro
post #3 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psohl14 View Post

It'll be primarily for travel/home videos/etc... and I'll be editing it in Vegas Pro on my desktop, if that matters at all.

here is a review of canon HF52 vs panny x900m

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Canon-Vixia-HF-M52-Camcorder-Review/Panasonic-HC-X900M-Comparison.htm

cannon wins over panny in low light...but score very poorly in stabilization....needs tripod

if you are going to use it for travel and home video...walking and shooting (travel) and running and shooting video of kids (at home)...then the new sony cx760 and pj760 with 'gyro' balance stabilizers is way to go...but it cost...

i myself waiting for the upgrade of canon hf g10...i hope they improved their stabilizer...
post #4 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I am not familiar with this particular Canon camcorder but I am not surprised that the Panny scored lower as far as color score. The Panny's general image does not pop as much and is more smoothed out and more natural (some might call it). When you take a still images of a a beach scene with blue skies (on a dSLR or a point & shoot camera), the photo will actually look better than what your eye sees and this is the best way I would describe the Panny image. But in general, it works well, even in auto made.

I am a still photographer and yes I pixel peep. And yes, I can see grain on Blu-Ray movies that no one else seem to care about. What I am surprised at is the comment from @spyker1212 about low light performance. This is one of the best HD camcorders I have tested in low light performance. Grain in low light is so much better than most that I have seen (and I have seen my fair share).

You might want to see if the wide end of the lens will be a benefit to you. Shooting indoors alot, having a wider lens if a plus.

And is the 1080 60p worth it? You will have to decide yourself. The Panny line since the TM700 performs well in good light. It yields almost broadcast ready images in my opinion. EVERYONE who have seen my videos on a 50+ inch LCD just cannot believe the detail and sharpness on the monitor. But also keep in mind that if you have a Mac, editing the native 1080 60p files are a pain. If you have a PC, you still lots of horsepower to edit these files. It just comes with recording 1080 60 files.

Hope that helps.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psohl14 View Post

I'll be using the camera in less than idea conditions, so it needs to be good in low light (pretty sure both are) and needs to handle motion well (why I'm thinking the 60p at 1080 will be nice). It'll be primarily for travel/home videos/etc... and I'll be editing it in Vegas Pro on my desktop, if that matters at all.
Anyway, I suppose my question is, is the 60 progressive frames at 1920x1080 worth the extra $300 dollars for the Panasonic, or is that just not really worth it?

Really when it comes down to it , it just depends what bells and whistles you want and how much do you want to spend ? As far as handling the motions i'm sure either one would satisfy you . As far as Low light that would be something you would have to test to your taste of needs . I have several different videos at Youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=celestron8g8&oq=celestron8g8&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=youtube.12...1890.4360.0.6526.12.9.0.3.3.0.128.939.3j6.9.0...0.0.exjkGqOspsY

Check out any under the name Celestron8g8 . Some will also give you and idea on motion as well .

I might add also this link to my thread on the M50 in case you have not seen it .

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409756/official-canon-hf-m50-52-500-thread
post #6 of 7 Old 06-22-2012, 07:29 PM

Liked: 10
How is the image stabilization of the Canon M50? Can you walk around with the camcorder handheld and take quality video? The 1.85 score on camcorderinfo.com concerns me. I am going back and forth between the X900M and the M50 due to the large price difference, but the poor image stabilization and the lens (43.4mm) which is not very wide on the M50 lean me towards spending the extra money for the X900M.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-22-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyHat View Post

How is the image stabilization of the Canon M50? Can you walk around with the camcorder handheld and take quality video?

I uploaded a walkabout in a park i did back when i first got the M50 . Now mind you i'm 58 and not very good at hand holding , much less while walking but you judge yourself . If you have very steady hands then you would be very good , much better than me . But if your worried about the lens size and need a wider lens you may want to go ahead and spend the extra for the X900M . Honestly i don't pay that much attention to reviews cause , i already know the quality of a Canon product . I know you can get a lemon with any brand anytime and Canon is no exception but i like Canon products and that is what i choose to be with cause of the optical glass quality . And as i already mentioned it depends what bells and whistles you need and if i need to i can always buy a wide-angle lens to attach to the M50 if i felt i needed one bad enough . Anyway here is the link to my video at youtube and you judge for yourself . But whatever camera you buy , i really suggest you go to a local camera store that has these video cameas and test them out for yourself . Nothing like a hands on feel and testing yourself .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsSnnPqJm8g&feature=plcp
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page