Looking for Camera that will be used to record and stream Live Concert - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-26-2012, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I got on here to ask for recommendations for a camera that would be good for what I need.

I need it to be able to have good quality in dark concert club and not freak out when strobes start going off.

Will be recording in at least 720p or 1080p and be streaming at 480p.

Can someone give a bare minimum, mid-range, and a professional recommendation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-27-2012, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosBlades View Post

Hello, I got on here to ask for recommendations for a camera that would be good for what I need.
I need it to be able to have good quality in dark concert club and not freak out when strobes start going off.
Will be recording in at least 720p or 1080p and be streaming at 480p.
Can someone give a bare minimum, mid-range, and a professional recommendation.

CB - I'm guessing, but it sounds like you need manual exposure control to deal with the strobes, a fast lens or low light sensor, and wi-fi or Ethernet connectivity? A little difficult to make recommendations without a little more information about your budget, clip length, how far you'll be from the stage, whether you'll be on a tripod, whether you already have the hardware you need for streaming or need a wi-fi enabled camera, etc. - but I'll try.

At the very low end I would look at the $211 Sony Bloggie Live - it streams to YouTube - but there's no manual exposure control.

Mid-range, $1269 Canon HF G10 (manual exposure control, arguably the best prosumer camcorder in low light) and a $290 Ceravo Live Shell for 720p streaming.

Pro, I would get a $5000 Sony FS100 large sensor interchangeable lens camcorder with a fast prime lens - pretty much sees in the dark. Plus a $2490 Teradek Cube Encoder/Decoder for 1080p wireless streaming.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #3 of 6 Old 06-27-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help. Here is some more information.

Budget = Not really sure that's why I wanted the 3 tiers. We will probably start with the bare minimum and work our way up.

Clip Length = It could be one band set up too a full concert.

How far from stage = That will depend on the venue. We will be starting out at small venues / concert clubs.

How camera will be mounted = Tripod or mounted securely in some other way like the concert stage lighting rack.

Streaming = The camera will be connected to a laptop to add ads and or commercials in real time.

I would also like it to save the unedited video to the laptop hard drive in 720p or 1080p.

Audio will be taken from the venue sound board.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-28-2012, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for all your help. Here is some more information.
Budget = Not really sure that's why I wanted the 3 tiers. We will probably start with the bare minimum and work our way up.
Clip Length = It could be one band set up too a full concert.
How far from stage = That will depend on the venue. We will be starting out at small venues / concert clubs.
How camera will be mounted = Tripod or mounted securely in some other way like the concert stage lighting rack.
Streaming = The camera will be connected to a laptop to add ads and or commercials in real time.
I would also like it to save the unedited video to the laptop hard drive in 720p or 1080p.
Audio will be taken from the venue sound board.

CB - sounds like your biggest challenge won't be the camcorder - it will be smoothly switching between live video and commercials. Live video switching equipment usually costs a lot of money. Revising my earlier recommendation - you don't need a Teradek Cube or a Ceravo Live Shell - you need something like the $945 BlackMagic Design ATEM TV Studio Production Switcher, which will allow you to switch between your two video sources and send the output to a stream. You will need to switch your audio to digital with an AD converter to use it.

With the BlackMagic, you can use any low light capable camera with an HDMI output (like the Canon HF G10 recommended above).

Again - hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #5 of 6 Old 07-04-2012, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again, sorry it took so long to replay. I live in Ohio so we have not had power...

Can't I use something like Xsplit? Looks like it is going to be A LOT cheaper and less hardware to drag everywhere.

http://youtu.be/qP9VOuDmULQ
post #6 of 6 Old 07-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks again, sorry it took so long to replay. I live in Ohio so we have not had power...
Can't I use something like Xsplit? Looks like it is going to be A LOT cheaper and less hardware to drag everywhere.
http://youtu.be/qP9VOuDmULQ

CB - hope your power is back and you're staying cool! The XSplit really looks great, but sadly, you'll still have to find a way to encode the live video from your camcorder and get it into the computer (unless you use a webcam with a tripod mount like the Logitech C920). Or you can use a wi-fi capable camcorder like the Samsung HMX-S16, but it's pretty expensive. An inexpensive camcorder that's good in low light like a Panasonic HC-V700 plus a Live Shell might also be a relatively inexpensive way to get a live stream (unless you go for the Bloggie :-)).

Cheers and good luck with your project,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page