recording media format - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-27-2012, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question:

The instruction booklet for my hdr-cx570 says "Do not try to format the recording media (sdhc card) of the camcorder using a computer. If you do so, you're camcorder may not operate properly."

This doesn't mean I can't use a card reader to upload footage does it? With Sony, I wouldn't be surprised.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-27-2012, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
No, it says that you should (for proper operation) format your new (or old for that matter) SD card using your camcorder instead of your computer.
Same rule applies to all manufacturers and digital cameras, as well as camcorders.

You can use your SD card and card reader to copy files to your computer.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Formatting an SD card in a PC creates a very blank and empty card to a "FAT 32" file system. Formatting in the camera does that AND adds a file structure for storing all the parts of video that the camcorder needs to keep track of things and deliver all the Sony "special" features that you may never use. If you look at the file structure and content in those folders with Windows Explorer, you will see three or four files with names that match the primary .m2ts file. You need all of them if you want to use all the features provided with the camcorder and the Sony software that came with your camera. If you own a Mac or use any other software to edit, you need none of the extra tiny files and only the .m2ts files are important.

Bill
post #4 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, Bill. So you're saying when you want to empty your SD card you simply format it in the camera. Seems a lot easier than deleting the clips one at a time!

In regards to important harddrive files, I screwed up an external trying to reformat it the wrong way (give me a break my OS is in Greek, not English!). Do you know if there's any way to get those important files back on there. I have another external, same brand, maybe I could copy the files over should be able to access the empty harddrive some how.

Thanks again.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixoticquest View Post

Thanks, Bill. So you're saying when you want to empty your SD card you simply format it in the camera. Seems a lot easier than deleting the clips one at a time!
Exactly.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixoticquest View Post

In regards to important harddrive files, I screwed up an external trying to reformat it the wrong way (give me a break my OS is in Greek, not English!). Do you know if there's any way to get those important files back on there. I have another external, same brand, maybe I could copy the files over should be able to access the empty harddrive some how.
Thanks again.
Do you mean you are in Greece? I hope to go there someday.

Assuming the external hard drive is now formatted, it will be blank. If not, get it correctly formatted so that it is blank.

With that done, locate the folder (or folders) in your computer where the original video files are stored and, using Windows Explorer, copy the entire folders to your external drive. There is a wide variety of "backup" software that can do it too. But, I like doing it with direct copies so that I know it is getting done my way.

Bill
post #7 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I read where it will not only format the card but erase the Firmware from your camera or camcorder . It's probably what Bill was sayin . Just unplug the camera from the computer then format the card with the camera . That way it does not erase the Firmware .
post #8 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlhodges View Post

I read where it will not only format the card but erase the Firmware from your camera or camcorder .

Ron,

How does that happen? The firmware is not on the SD card. So, formatting it can't get to the firmware locked in the camcorder itself. Can it?

Bill
post #9 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Ron,
How does that happen? The firmware is not on the SD card. So, formatting it can't get to the firmware locked in the camcorder itself. Can it?
Bill

From what i understand from my reading is that when the camcorder is attached to the computer the computer is the master control and when you choose to format from the computer it erases everything on the camera which includes the firmware . I realize that when you update the firmware you download to the card , insert the card into the camera and when you turn it on and choose update it uploads the firmware to the camera chip itself then you format the card from the camera , not the computer , but when you format the camera while attached to the computer the computer erases everything on the camera including the firmware . Personally i can see how it happens so when i format i do so when the camera is not attached to the computer . If you copy all over to the card and insert the card to the computer then choose format afterwards then that's different , the camera itself is not attached to the computer . The manual says if you format from the computer and it erases the firmware in the camera you will not be able to upload any firmware to the camera again , it would have to be sent to the company for reloading .
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page