Any better HD camcorder than the Panasonic HC-V700 around $500? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-02-2012, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I want an HD camcorder and after looking at all models from Sony, Canon, JVC and Panasonic, the Panasonic HC-V700 seems like the best. What I like about it: By far best image stabilization of any brand, true 1080p recording, 15.3 MP sensor (nearly 8 times HD resolution, the extra res is to allow lossless digital zooming up to 46x [21x optical]), low light modes and built in flash/video LED. It also has an optional 3D lens but at nearly $500 for the lens I doubt I'll ever get it.

Seems to be the best around $500 from Sony, Canon, JVC and Panasonic.

Check out the specs:

https://panasonic.ca/english/audiovideo/camerascamcorders/camcorder/3D_cam_specs.asp

HCV700K_alt_01.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-04-2012, 02:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
aab1 - you're not going to get much argument here. Two more small advantages that the V700 has over the competition are a big deal (for me, at least):

1) a 46mm thread for filters or lens hoods and

2) a standard cold shoe adapter (unlike the proprietary Canon and Sony shoes).

I like to protect my lenses with filters and it bothers me that I can't do that with some of the other camcorder brands.

And I really don't like being limited to proprietary accessories by the lack of a universal cold shoe.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #3 of 13 Old 07-04-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

I was incredibly lucky and found the HC-V700 for $368 including a free extra panasonic battery!

I was about to buy it for $550 elsewhere before finding this deal which is already over.

What exactly is a cold shoe adapter for? I know on a digital camera it's normally for a flash, but what are they used for on a camcorder? Is it realty just a bracket or does it provide some form of communication with the camera?

Thanks
post #4 of 13 Old 07-04-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post

I was incredibly lucky and found the HC-V700 for $368 including a free extra panasonic battery!
I was about to buy it for $550 elsewhere before finding this deal which is already over.
What exactly is a cold shoe adapter for? I know on a digital camera it's normally for a flash, but what are they used for on a camcorder? Is it realty just a bracket or does it provide some form of communication with the camera?
Thanks
It can hold a mic, a light or some kind of gadget that works like an eyepiece viewfinder. I've not used the one on my camcorder, yet.

Bill
post #5 of 13 Old 07-05-2012, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Thanks

Congratulations on the great find, aab! As Bill says, I use my cold shoe for external mics and lights (my TM900 has a built in flash, but no built in light like your V700).

Here is a picture of the TM900 with an Azden SMX-10 mic mounted directly on the universal cold shoe. Can't use third party mics with consumer level Canon/Sony camcorders without buying an adapter.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #6 of 13 Old 07-18-2012, 06:24 PM

Liked: 10
I have the same question - have you bought one yet? I'm also considering the Sony HDR-CX260V at a similar price.

I've seen some reviews on Amazon indicating poor low light performance. Is it really that bad (worse than others less than $500)? Hard to believe given the size of the sensor relative to others.

I did note you can get the Panasonic HC-V700M for less than the V700 at Amazon! Not as good as $368, but not terrible at $422.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-19-2012, 04:46 AM

Hi!

This is my first post but I have been reading you for a long time. I've found a lot of help in your posts. Thanks to all smile.gif

Well, I would like to ask a pair of questions about this cam.

- What's the diference between HC-V700 and HC-V700-M (don't know what the 'M' means)

- The Cmos is bigger than Sony CX260V ¿really you can see the quality difference in recoder video?

I'm considering this Sony model too, but i'm not still sure.

Thanks in advance!
Mikel
post #8 of 13 Old 07-19-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelsen View Post

Hi!
This is my first post but I have been reading you for a long time. I've found a lot of help in your posts. Thanks to all smile.gif
Well, I would like to ask a pair of questions about this cam.
- What's the diference between HC-V700 and HC-V700-M (don't know what the 'M' means)
- The Cmos is bigger than Sony CX260V ¿really you can see the quality difference in recoder video?
I'm considering this Sony model too, but i'm not still sure.
Thanks in advance!
Mikel
The V700M has 16GB of internal flash memory, otherwise the two models are identical.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-19-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:

I want an HD camcorder and after looking at all models from Sony, Canon, JVC and Panasonic, the Panasonic HC-V700 seems like the best. What I like about it: By far best image stabilization of any brand, true 1080p recording, 15.3 MP sensor (nearly 8 times HD resolution, the extra res is to allow lossless digital zooming up to 46x [21x optical]), low light modes and built in flash/video LED. It also has an optional 3D lens but at nearly $500 for the lens I doubt I'll ever get it.
Seems to be the best around $500 from Sony, Canon, JVC and Panasonic.
Check out the specs:
https://panasonic.ca/english/audiovideo/camerascamcorders/camcorder/3D_cam_specs.asp
HCV700K_alt_01.jpg
I think it depends on what youre looking for in a camcorder. The v700 has clear advantages over others in its class with its rock solid stabilization and wide angle lens. However, the Canon M500 has better low-light performance, auto white balance, and better color accuracy than the v700. If video noise in low-light or poor color reproduction is a major concern for you, then the Canon might be the better overall camcorder if you don't mind the extra expense. Personally, I ended up choosing the Panny due to budgetary concerns but so far, i've been very impressed with my v700.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-23-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

I've had the HC-V700 for a few weeks now and I really love it, it even makes a great pair of "digital HD video recording binoculars" (ok, maybe monocular if you don't have the 3D attachment).

I find low light performance pretty good, and color night shot almost turns night into day at the expense of a very slow frame rate and jerky video. The built in video light really is useful in many situations when your subject isn't too far away.

I don't remember if I had mentioned this here but before getting the HC-V700 I had gotten a lower end Canon and was disgusted by the fact the battery only lasts 15-20 minutes and they wanted well over $100 for a reasonable battery. It's then I realized that for the price of the Canon + a battery I could get a FAR better camera that already comes with a good battery which is what I did. And like on my old Canon color laser copier, I found the Canon menu system to be extremely un user friendly and over complicated, I believe it took something like 5-8 clicks just to delete a video, on the Panasonic it's no more than 3 clicks. Also on the Canon I had to manually flip open the LCD, manually flip open the lens cover, then manually turn the camera on, this means it can take almost 10 seconds just to get the damn thing on, with the Panasonic I just open the LCD and within 1 second everything is ready to record. As I was returning my Canon camcorder, the guy behind me was returning the same Canon camcorder for the same reason of absurd battery life.

I'm not saying all those Canon problems definitely apply to the camera you recommended, but I have no doubt that many of them do, and it also has less than half the optical zoom of the Panasonic.

The only time I found the colors from my Panasonic were wrong was when I first connected it to my HD projector, and I found it's really the projector that had reverted to default color settings since I had plugged in a new device, after adjusting the projector the colors seem perfect, and on the LCD of the camera itself the colors were also always fine. Or are you talking about the few seconds it can sometimes take for white balance to adjust? Once it's adjusted it stays fine.

One more question: Does the 3D optional lens really convert it to a "real" 3D camera like the Sony dual lens one that's around $1500 or is it some lower end 3D technology that's not as good as a "real" 3D camcorder. How does it work anyway? I have 2 theories, either it uses the 60 fps frame rate and some sort of mechanism in the 3D lens to alternate taking a photo from each lens, or it uses the higher resolution of the sensor to simultaneously record left and right lens images on the left and right halves of the sensor (which would explain why you lose digital zooming in 3D mode).

Thanks
post #11 of 13 Old 07-24-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

..........One more question: Does the 3D optional lens really convert it to a "real" 3D camera like the Sony dual lens one that's around $1500 or is it some lower end 3D technology that's not as good as a "real" 3D camcorder. How does it work anyway? I have 2 theories, either it uses the 60 fps frame rate and some sort of mechanism in the 3D lens to alternate taking a photo from each lens, or it uses the higher resolution of the sensor to simultaneously record left and right lens images on the left and right halves of the sensor (which would explain why you lose digital zooming in 3D mode).
I have a previous version of your camera and the 3D lens. It came as a package with a model number of SDT-750. The lens for yours is upgraded a little, but very similar.

It works very well. If you have any interest in 3D and a TV that will play it, you will enjoy the adapter. Although the displayed picture has a black border and is slightly smaller the effect is as good as 3D Blu-Rays I bought.

Attaching the lens turns the camera into a standard 3D format called "side by side". With my 55" Sony 3D TV and the required glasses, the result is spectacular. Videos taken by my granddaughter of things like the dog running around or her dad on a bicycle are clear, entertaining and very 3D. The best 3D effect is of objects about 10 feet away, although scenery still works.

Uploading the 3D footage to YouTube works too. YouTube can convert it to the form that requires cheap colored glasses.

On a two day trip into Zion National Park, I decided to do the whole thing in 3D. The camera worked fine, but I learned that for scenery, 3D makes you work harder at certain things, especially holding steady. The next time I do a 3D scenic, the camera will not come off a tripod!

Assuming yours came with an instruction manual, read the part on the lens. Although it works very good at adding 3D capabilities, it is an adapter that disables a number of features.

If you get serious about 3D and make it a primary mission, you will need to upgrade to a camcorder were it is built in. You might enjoy reading about 3D here: http://www.avsforum.com/f/192/3d-source-components

Bill
post #12 of 13 Old 07-29-2012, 03:26 AM

I think Canons M506 is equal to Panasonics HC-V700 and cost the same where I live.

Canon is better in low light and battery life. V700 has wide angle and zoom.

Image stabilization is both good but V700 a bit better.
Wind audio noise is lot more representive on V700.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-29-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 108
"One more question: Does the 3D optional lens really convert it to a "real" 3D camera like the Sony dual lens one that's around $1500 or is it some lower end 3D technology that's not as good as a "real" 3D camcorder. How does it work anyway? I have 2 theories, either it uses the 60 fps frame rate and some sort of mechanism in the 3D lens to alternate taking a photo from each lens, or it uses the higher resolution of the sensor to simultaneously record left and right lens images on the left and right halves of the sensor."

Your second conjecture is correct: the 3D attachment produces two images that go on the one sensor. Each image is 1/2 resolution (960x1080) compared to HD (1920x1080). The Sony TD20 3D camcorder has two lenses and two sensors. The left and right images are each 1920x1080, full HD. Now, 960x1080 has more pixels that one HD standard- 720p (1280x720), so being less resolution than full 1080 is not that bad. Unfortunately, the original Panasonic 3D lens attachment shoots at somewhat less than 960x1080 because it produces a frame around each image. But, it is "real" 3D.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page