Importing video using a Mini-DV camcorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-04-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering if importing a VCR tape or VHS-C was better when using a Mini-DV camcorder than opposed to a Video capture card or a video - usb cable. I have a couple USB tv tuners that have input cables on them but have been very unhappy with the quality. I have many home movies I wish to convert to digital. Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-04-2012, 09:37 PM

Yes you should definitely use your miniDV camcorder as an analog --> digital converter. Any video capture card that uses a USB cable is sub standard and will produce poor quality transfers.

You should connect your VHS-C/VHS deck to your miniDV camcorder using an S-Video (preferably) or Composite cable and then use a Firewire cable from your miniDV camcorder to your PC.
You will need to ensure that your miniDV camcorder has analog pass-thru enabled.

To 'capture' the video on your PC, use Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas or even Windows Movie Maker (but make sure you tell WMM that you're capturing DV-AVI). If you want a simple and straight forward capture program, check out WinDV: http://windv.mourek.cz/
Files captured by the above method will be approximately 13GB / hour in size.

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions please ask smile.gif
post #3 of 10 Old 07-10-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I was hoping you would say that. Looks like a good way to do it. I am using Sony Vegas and have been very happy with it so far. I see a few cheap camcorders out there and am leaning toward the Canon ZR60 for the importing of video. Price is cheap, does stereo and has S-video inputs. I will try to let everyone know how I turn out.

- Mark
post #4 of 10 Old 09-19-2012, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

I have not been able to import video from my VCR using the camcorder I got off of Ebay. It is a Canon Elura 80 which seems to function normally in every way. I turn on the function to pass through the video which is coming into the camera. I see and hear the recording from the VCR playing on the screen of the camcorder. When I select the capture feature from the software the screen goes blue and the tape says it is playing. I get about a second of video capture and that's about it. I have tried this from Sony Vegas and from Microsoft Live Movie Maker and on two different computers. I must be doing something wrong so I could use some assistance if anyone has any ideas. Thanks, Mark
post #5 of 10 Old 09-20-2012, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoia View Post

I have not been able to import video from my VCR using the camcorder I got off of Ebay. It is a Canon Elura 80 which seems to function normally in every way. I turn on the function to pass through the video which is coming into the camera. I see and hear the recording from the VCR playing on the screen of the camcorder. When I select the capture feature from the software the screen goes blue and the tape says it is playing. I get about a second of video capture and that's about it. I have tried this from Sony Vegas and from Microsoft Live Movie Maker and on two different computers. I must be doing something wrong so I could use some assistance if anyone has any ideas. Thanks, Mark

Not many dv cams will record video in,i have a Canon HV30 that will also a Sony D300 mini dv recorder player that will record video in.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-20-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

According to the manual that came with the camcorder and what I have read online, it should work.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-21-2012, 03:19 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoia View Post

According to the manual that came with the camcorder and what I have read online, it should work.

and you are connecting to your pc via firewire?
your PC is recognizing the camcorder?

i looked at the manual for your camcorder, it appears it should work exactly as my sony does for this conversion.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-23-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I am connected through Firewire and it is recognized by the computer. When I tell it to capture the camcorder goes into play mode. Is that what its supposed to do?
post #9 of 10 Old 09-26-2012, 06:48 PM

Try putting in a miniDV tape in the camcorder while you're doing the transfer. I've heard that some camcorders require this.

Alternatively....

I know this isn't the most efficient way of transferring your videos, but you could record your VHS-C tapes onto miniDV tape first and then transfer them to your PC via Firewire.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-28-2012, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If your model will record from an analogue source i would record the analogue footage to DV tape and then import the DV tape into the pc.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page