Sony HDR-GW77: waterproof, dustproof, shockproof small HD camcorder - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-09-2012, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 143
The slow smooth record looks pretty good. I haven't tried it yet.

The shallow dof comes from a combination of the very fast lens of the GW77 (f1/.8) at wide angle and close distance to subjects. Also, using the tele end and focusing on specific subjects will also give shallow dof, depending on distance.
Boe Barker likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2012, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Video Using Smooth Slow Record (240 fps) mode: Playing with water

Select 1080p.

Spigots, drips and a real waterfall!

You can see the lower resolution of the ssr clips (no sound for them). The video was edited in Sony Vegas Pro.
Boe Barker likes this.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

GW77 Video: A Summer Afternoon in Geneva

https://vimeo.com/49119978

Boats, ships, clocks, flowers, swans, a singer, balloons, tourists, bathers, a carousel, diners, sculpture, dogs.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1433 Post(s)
Liked: 1551
Very nice Mark. Did you use any exposure overrides or spot exposure metering?
Old 09-10-2012, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Very nice videos. Noticed the wind noise on the lake shots. How do you handle that with this camcorder?

Mike
Old 09-10-2012, 10:44 AM

Liked: 10
Great videos videos!

How do you use the smooth slow record in a middle of a video capture? Or is that done using the Sony Vegas software? I have tried to slow my videos down to 10% on FCP but the footage looks laggy.

Other than that, I have found the GW77 awesome for what I need.

As you can see, the conditions I video in can be quite challenging but the Sony GW77 proved up to the task. The video you see was shot in torrential rain and choppy waters, on a 5.4m motorboat with one hand on the camcorder and one hand steering+throttling.

Pretty good Optical SteadyShot I'd say!

Cheers,
Terence
Old 09-10-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the comments, and good questions:

"Did you use any exposure overrides or spot exposure metering?"

Heavy use of manual exposure: but if the light is steady, no need to constantly adjust - set for the light and forget. It was very bright. Heavy use of spot focus. For the singer, though, I let auto face detection (focus and exposure to maximize the quality of the face) do its job.

"Noticed the wind noise on the lake shots. How do you handle that with this camcorder?"

I am a big fan of natural audio: while wind noise in annoying, it does convey what it was like - windy! There is a setting for 'wind cut'. I did not use it, as it also affects the frequency response. The best antidote is to attach "fake fur" to the mic. The mics are on top, so this is easy to do. Btw, I really liked the sound of the outdoor singer - while her face fills the frame, I was quite far away (telephoto), and yet you hear her singing clear as a bell (and somone dropping change in her metal container). No mics on any camera or camcorder can defeat wind without external help.

"How do you use the smooth slow record in a middle of a video capture?"

You cannot - you have to change shooting mode. Then just line up the regular and ssr clips on the timeline in Vegas and render as, in my case, 108030p (the ssr shots are interaced 60i; the regular are 60p).

That sailing video could not be done with ANY other camcorder at that quality (unless you want to destroy your equipment).
Old 09-11-2012, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

New GW77 Video: Stockholm!

A very nice city, with ships of all sizes, joggers, flowers, bells, street scenes, outdoor mechanical sculptures, a bird dispute, tourists, fountains, violinist, amusement rides, drawing, ferry trip, royal guards, church bells, statues.

https://vimeo.com/49233850

Youtube version:

Select 108060p.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:17 PM

Mark,
The Stockholm video is far away my favorite.
Can you describe or post a photo show how you hold the GW77 to make fairly steady shots?
Matt
Old 09-12-2012, 03:07 PM

Liked: 16
Hey Guys...

I'm finally trying out getting some video clips off the little Sony and onto vimeo. But when I go to embed the video on my desired forum, a blank spot shows up. Oddly, I can't see anything but did have one response from another forum member who said he can see the video. The owner of the site can't see the video either LOL. So I'm using Safari as my browser and I can see your posted/embedded videos here and that means the browser is not the issue. I'm clicking the Share button, and trying to embed the video. I'll try it here... don't be frightened by the noise if it does show up.

So in the preview I see the video is working fine. That means my browser settings are OK, and that I have the correct code from vimeo. So when I go to my other forum, and try to embed a vimeo video clip... I don't see three lines of code in the preview, all I see is truncated code. Anyone have any ideas why its showing up fine here and not "there" and they do allow both YouTube and Vimeo video clips.

Mike

Iron Horse

If God had intended man to watch TV 24/7, he would have given him rabbit ears Â
Old 09-12-2012, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"Can you describe or post a photo show how you hold the GW77 to make fairly steady shots?"

Normally, hold with two hands - one on the body and the other holding the lcd.

On a moving boat - rest the camera body on a railing; then the steadyshot smooths out the ship's motion.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:52 AM

As I scan the past posts, I have not been able to see anything about how easy it is to see the LCD on bright sunny days. Perhaps I have just missed it. Can anyone report on this? Can you see the LCD well enough when the bright sun is out and shining on it?

Mike
Old 09-15-2012, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hmm... this looks like the next camcorder for me for recording in crappy weather.
I have to admit I dismissed these types of camcorders because I was not too impressed with the earlier efforts.
Now I changed my mind.

Thanks for the thread.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

"Can you describe or post a photo show how you hold the GW77 to make fairly steady shots?"
Normally, hold with two hands - one on the body and the other holding the lcd.
On a moving boat - rest the camera body on a railing; then the steadyshot smooths out the ship's motion.

I use one of these with my NX30:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=orderHistory&A=details&Q=&sku=645970&is=REG

Not too expensive , can be used as a small tripod and controls the camera. (not sure if the GW77 has the connector for the RC)

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
Old 09-15-2012, 02:37 PM

Hi Mike (Railfan)
Look at my thread #226 about seing in full sun
Rouky
Old 09-15-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railfan View Post

As I scan the past posts, I have not been able to see anything about how easy it is to see the LCD on bright sunny days. Perhaps I have just missed it. Can anyone report on this? Can you see the LCD well enough when the bright sun is out and shining on it?
Mike

The 2 biggest weaknesses of this cam IMO are the visibility of the LCD in bright sun and a slightly weak color saturation under extremely bright skies. The LCD at times can be mirror-like with your reflection the thing that's most observed in the screen. This doesn't happen often, but when it does it can be annoying.

More importantly, it can be hard to adjust exposure accurately in the bright sun. This is nothing unique to the 77, but rather to any camcorder I've ever used that lacks a VF. Of course in this case, the benefit is a ridiculously small camcorder that takes excellent videos that are comparable to much larger units.

The other 'issue' I've observed and really haven't seen much comment on, is the somewhat under-saturated colors in bright outdoor sun. This seems to occur mostly under brilliant sun, with clear blue skies. Now here again, under these same conditions, many camcorders will not be as saturated as they would be under somewhat overcast skies. However I find this to be slightly more of an issue with the 77. Again, given the size of this unit, I don't think it would be a deal break for most users and many might not even notice it.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My experience in bright, contrasty midday sun with clear blue skies is fine with respect to color saturation:

Here are four *video* frame grabs from a shoot today in NYC, taken at about 11:30 AM on a bright sunny day with clear blue sky (check the weather report in NYC). Harshest light possible. These are examples in full auto mode:

201209151120382.jpg

201209151059491.jpg

201209151140592.jpg

201209151146491.jpg

I see perfect skin tone and brilliant colors - red, white, blue and green - just like I remember seeing them earlier today. Am I missing something?

And, what shows that the LCD screen is useable in bright light is precisely all the videos posted in this thread - including ones taken at a beach - taken in bright light. If one could not see with the lcd in bright sun, there would not be most of the shots we do see. Are there times when there are difficulties? - yes. Would a viewfinder be preferable in some cases? - yes.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

To be fair Mark, I have noticed some under-saturation in a few spots in some of your truly excellent videos. These are not unlike what I too have experienced. One of your recent videos from the botanical gardens show some of that undersaturation in spots.

As I said, most camcorders will show a tendency to do this under bright mid-day sun, but the 77 shows a bit more of this than some I have used. Comparing my VG20 and my 77 in A/Bs under bright mid-day sun, shows a greater color saturation on the VG20. Interestingly, reducing exposure on the 77 helps the overall exposure, but doesn't heighten saturation.

As I've said, it's not a deal break, but I do see it. On the other hand, the detail and sharpness at wide angle are really amazing, particularly when you consider the diminuitive size of the unit.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

New GW77 Video: Stockholm!
A very nice city, with ships of all sizes, joggers, flowers, bells, street scenes, outdoor mechanical sculptures, a bird dispute, tourists, fountains, violinist, amusement rides, drawing, ferry trip, royal guards, church bells, statues.
https://vimeo.com/49233850
Youtube version:Select 108060p.

Watched this today and this is a very very nice video . Enjoyed it all the way through . Was this hand helt or did you use a monopod or tripod ?
Old 09-16-2012, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Handheld all the way (except rested it on deck rail onboard the ferry occasionally).
Old 09-17-2012, 02:48 PM

Is this a good example of the under-saturation you are speaking of Ken Ross?

My camera was zoomed in pretty far, the setting sun was at my 10'oclock, and the video settings were on auto. I quickly threw it on a monopod, and turned it on. So, possibly, the HDR-GW77V didn't have time to adjust the white balance or exposure?

Boats 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDmDif9Nnbo
Boats 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1kBa51dSKs

Here is a clip of some Kite's flying. Here, the colors are much more saturated, although I am using the same video settings.
Kites
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i22qYx9_zeo
Old 09-18-2012, 09:23 AM

I would think in the first 2 videos being on water you have alot of sun glare reflecting off the water therefore making it look hazy bright , especially with the sun at 10 o'clock to you . I don't like to video or take pictures in the mid day time for this reason . However you may have a manual setting on the camera you could adjust for such events . With the camera in auto all settings are instant , you should not have to wait for WB to adjust . I have a Canon HF M50 and i can manually go in and change WB for water sports events to keep the washout look from happening .
Old 09-18-2012, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

GW77 Frame grabs: Smiles!

One nice thing about 108060p from a good camcorder is that you can find the right moment, capturing what you want by grabbing the frame you like to produce stills that look great on your 80" 1080p HDTV and on the web. Case in point - smiles:

20120916131714(1)_zps4e6d8f04.jpg

20120916133453(1)_zpsbde15267.jpg

20120916132835(1)_zps3108dc46.jpg

These did not make us of "smile shutter".
Old 09-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

I wanted to thank everyone for this thread! I'll purchase this camera tomorrow and will share what I think will be a nice video in week or so.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:49 PM

I agree, I purchased the GW77 primarily based upon Mark's videos and posts. He should get a commission from Sony.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

GW77 1080p Slow Motion

The Smooth Slow Record (240 fps) mode of the GW77 results in lower resolution. But there is another way of getting high-resolution slo motion: start with the 108060p setting and then slow down the video, making a 108030p video. You then get high-resolution slo motion that is ultra smooth. But you have to use an editor. Here is a video example, with the regular-speed clip followed by the slo-mo version:

Be sure to select 1080p.

This video was created using Sony Vegas Pro. Note that videos on Youtube are always 30p anyway, so you lose nothing by going to 30p in terms of Youtube quality, but you have the advantage of slow motion if you want.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mark,
When you do your slow-motion with Vegas PRO, do you stretch the video on the timeline ? Simply changing the project from 60P to 30P keeps the video at the same speed. Can you give me step by step what I should do in Vegas ?
Here is what I'm doing:

-Open a new project using the same clip parameters.
-Change the project to 30P (29...NTSC)
-Import a clip and put it on the timeline.
-Playing back the clip results on the same speed as 60P.
-Clanging the speed (velocity) to 30 P will slow down the clip but will only play part of it.
-Stretching the clip 100% will produce the slow motion and everything will be played back.

I guess I am missing something but I don't know how to slow the clip without stretching it.
Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
Old 09-19-2012, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That sequence is correct: 30p timeline (project properties), velocity to 50%, stretch the clip to double length (click slide). I also disable resample. Then I render everything as 108030p.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That sequence is correct: 30p timeline (project properties), velocity to 50%, stretch the clip to double length (click slide). I also disable resample. Then I render everything as 108030p.

Great! I actually prefer to go for a 40% apeed and render everything at 24P. This is a huge bonus when you have a camera 60P capable. Thank you very much.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boe Barker View Post

Is this a good example of the under-saturation you are speaking of Ken Ross?

Yup, pretty much. However in your boat video it looks a bit hazy compared to your park video.

But you can see a significant difference in saturation. Most video cameras prefer overcast days since that kind of weather stresses the dynamic range of these cam's. relatively small dynamic range (relative to the human eye), much less.