Sony HDR-GW77: waterproof, dustproof, shockproof small HD camcorder - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 639 Old 01-23-2014, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got the gw55 ( the uk version of the gw77 ) and what a fantastic camera !

Just wondered if anyone got any experience of using alternative batteries ?
It seems the standard one is the bg1 960mAh non info lithium.

Apparently the fp1 is the info lithium version, does this camera support an actual battery time readout ? Or will it still be the 4 battery bars ?

Also there seem to be a number of non-sony versions of higher capacity versions eg 1100mAh by ex-pro (white series), this may be a worthwhile 10% increase in battery life if true.

Anyone got any experience of these on this camera ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 639 Old 01-23-2014, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
^ The fp1 will not show minutes on battery life. I dont know about the gw55 owners manual but the gw77 manual states that when using the fp1 time remaining will not be displayed.
post #633 of 639 Old 01-24-2014, 12:22 AM

The fp1 will not show minutes on battery life. I dont know about the gw55 owners manual but the gw77 manual states that when using the fp1 time remaining will not be displayed

Yes, your right - looking in more detail at the manual the GW55 states the same.   Shame ....

Very roughly it looks like each battery bar ( of 4 ) last about 10 - 12 minutes.

Came across the Hahnel range of batteries, found one for this camera

http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=digitalcamerabatteries&vId=1&pId=635

- so a 1050mAh rating could be a good addition for this camera, for just squeezing a touch more use per battery change.

Also the ex-pro 1100mAh one here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro%C2%AE-Replacement-Battery-1100mAh-Description/dp/B00EXNVRAW

post #634 of 639 Old 02-23-2014, 03:34 PM

Liked: 16
I lent my GW77 to my BIL and in our hurry to try and download some shots of the grandkids skiing, I thought I deleted the videos. But when I power on the camera I can see and watch the videos, so I'm thinking the clips are in internal memory? Can I download the video clips somehow? I connected the USB to my iMac and by mistake used image capture and remove images once downloaded. So it downloaded all the stills and I have those... but none of the movies downloaded.

Anyone want to offer what might be the best way to import those movie clips? My BIL uses a PC and his programs are PC-specific including Stitch. What is the best/simplest way to download clips and do basic edits/transitions?

TIA!

Iron Horse

If God had intended man to watch TV 24/7, he would have given him rabbit ears Â
post #635 of 639 Old 04-06-2014, 02:04 AM

Liked: 12

on my hdr gw 77v, the zoom button is noisy and squeaky when pressed, you can hear it clearly when filming (zooming in and out), the whole Thailand trip videos are effected because of this sound (i could hear it when pressing but i thought it will not appear in the video itself but it did!), now i am avoiding this by using the W / T on the LCD screen but this is not convenient since you cant control the speed of zooming and its hard to control...

Anyone has the same problem i am facing?, will dropping oil on the sides/ edges of the button be a good idea (since its water-proof will it reach the interior of the camera and damage it?)

i hope i can fix this problem because the camera it self is amazing

Sony XBR-65X9004A 4K - Toshiba Qosmio i7 - PS3 - PS4 - Sony BDV-E6100 Home Theater - Sony Xperia Z1-Sony HDR GW 77v -  IPad Air - IPad Mini Retina - Macbook Pro Retina - Iphone 5S  - Lenovo Idea Pad S - Dre Beats Studio - Dre Beats Pill
post #636 of 639 Old 04-06-2014, 07:53 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

The slow smooth record looks pretty good. I haven't tried it yet.

The shallow dof comes from a combination of the very fast lens of the GW77 (f1/.8) at wide angle and close distance to subjects. Also, using the tele end and focusing on specific subjects will also give shallow dof, depending on distance.

Hey mark I've be been a follower to your posts for some time now, I ve been trying to achieve similar DOF with my g77 but didn't get good results yet smile.gif, I knew about the telemicro mode and I've been able to pull some good shots with this but a wide angle and close distance to object I can't tell what did you mean exactly a simple explanation of what to do with the menu and what to select is highly appreciated since and as you can tell from my simple language I am no expert thanks

Sony XBR-65X9004A 4K - Toshiba Qosmio i7 - PS3 - PS4 - Sony BDV-E6100 Home Theater - Sony Xperia Z1-Sony HDR GW 77v -  IPad Air - IPad Mini Retina - Macbook Pro Retina - Iphone 5S  - Lenovo Idea Pad S - Dre Beats Studio - Dre Beats Pill
post #637 of 639 Old 04-06-2014, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabidox View Post

Hey mark I've be been a follower to your posts for some time now, I ve been trying to achieve similar DOF with my g77 but didn't get good results yet smile.gif, I knew about the telemicro mode and I've been able to pull some good shots with this but a wide angle and close distance to object I can't tell what did you mean exactly a simple explanation of what to do with the menu and what to select is highly appreciated since and as you can tell from my simple language I am no expert thanks

DOF will be shallower the larger the aperture (so largest at f1.8) , the longer the focal length, and the closer you are to the subject. The GW77 has its widest aperture only at the wide end, so if you open the aperture to f1.8 you have to shoot close to get shallow dof (and it will give you that). Tele-macro mode extends the lens to the longest focal length and enables you to be close to the subject, so it minimizes dof. Those are the two tricks.
Sabidox likes this.
post #638 of 639 Old 05-10-2014, 02:41 PM

To Mark and a few others on this thread. You all talked me into getting the Gw77 a while back and I have to say it has been a great camcorder. You just can't discount how valuable the size is... I take this over everything I own because it is easy to carry around. I have taken many videos of my kids that I wouldn't have taken with a larger camcorder - the best video is the one you actually get!

Thanks!
post #639 of 639 Old 05-10-2014, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
One of the worst mistakes I've made concerning video in the past year or so is not buying this camera. While it was on sale I already had a cigarette pack sized waterproof Sony P&S stills cam that shot decent video. The IQ was not as good as the GW77's, however, and neither was it's level of manual control nor useful form factor such as a flippable screen etc. The GW77 had all this yet still was truly small and pocketable. I'm always a big fan of pocketability when it comes to non-professional video and stills shooting and have a few small, palm-sized camcorders. Sadly none of them can be dunked in the water. You practically can be out all day at the beach or on a boat shooting and at the end of the day simply wash it in a tub.

Congratulations for owning such a gem.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page