Seeking recommendations for camcorder to use for making YouTube videos - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-14-2012, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would like to produce similar videos to this. However, am not certain what is the best type to get as I don't want to waste money by investing in something with unnecessary capabilities. Just something that has the ability to focus "close up" in a similar way or where I can adjust the lens in comparison to the distance from lens to paper surface etc.
Would I need an actual tripod or adjustable arm to clamp on side of drawing table etc? Feedback, comments, constructive criticism appreciated. In essence, once I would record, am fairly certain I could re-edit within Windows Media on my system.

Thanks.....

PS: feel free to mention makes, models and places online to look and potentially buy etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-14-2012, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Auto WB? Auto gain? No fast and fluid motion required? Anything will do.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
cartooner - an $80 1080p webcam with a tripod mount on a $45 copy stand should do the trick. If you think you need lights, get these for $46. You'll have to use the webcam's software to make a recording and then import it into Windows Movie Maker. Movie Maker does not allow you to record directly from your webcam.

Hope this is helpful.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #4 of 7 Old 07-15-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I agree with Ungermann and brunerww. One points out that the quality of the light and motion were not the greatest in that shot and the other suggests a webcam.

My suggestion is to try a smartphone if you already have it. If not, consider buying a camera you can use for other things as well. A webcam is a special purpose device limited for anything other than what it does best. To stay on the market in a smart phone world, almost every camera can take video good enough for YouTube. The only requirement would be that it could focus to about 3 feet.

If you have a laptop with a webcam, you might be able to get it to work. Windows Movie Maker does not allow recording but my granddaughter left me some surprises to watch on my Toshiba by using a Toshiba provided utility that turns on and records. Of course, positioning the laptop could be awkward without velcro and duct tape!

To get better color, put a table near a window, preferably on the south side of the house. You should get plenty of even light at a warmer temperature.

Bill
post #5 of 7 Old 07-18-2012, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very appreciated Bill and Ungermann and Bruner. Yes, considering something that allows the basic recording of fluidity like in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSIdwDIAVBw&feature=related and thinking the 1080p webcam ought to do the trick. I have a good overhead lamp I use for light anyway, so think the ones shown (for $46) I can forego. My initial idea is to create some "shorts" like 6 or up to 10 minue deals I could incorporate into my own YT channel to use as sort of a self promo and additionally enhance my current online image-licensing database. Been at this on a fulltime basis for over 32 years now and with all this tech available, I'm thinking outwards on other tangents....am currently putting together my own ebook and such, so see all of this (FaceBook, Twitter et al) as ways to bundle and promote - it all looks easy...but isn't, takes time and devotion + the tedium. It's just that specific tech stuff (like camera equipment) is something out of my realm....so appreciate the input.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-18-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 92
If you have no video experience, you may have to try a couple things to get what you want. Buying from a source that allows returns might be a good idea.

It appears you are after a well lit tablet and video capture. It seems to me that there may be special equipment for that purpose but i don't know where to look for it. If not available, it seems easy to mount any camcorder via its tripod screw to a stand, aim and record. The tripod screw is normally a standard 1/4" x 20 thread and you can get those in any length at any hardware store. So, the stand can be made from anything you might already have.

Most camcorders and cameras allow you to adjust the white balance so that, under any form of light, the white paper would be white. Your first sample video had paper with a blue cast. You might have to experiment with multiple lights to eliminate shadows. You should be able to do that with reflector equipped clamp lights, also available at hardware stores.

The camera I own that i would use for this is a Sony HX9V. The current model of that camera is a Sony HX20V. It has more controls than a webcam, so things like color balance might be better.

I know nothing about webcams, so it may be that, as a cheaper approach, it could work equally well.

Bill
post #7 of 7 Old 08-04-2012, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartooner View Post

Would like to produce similar videos to this. However, am not certain what is the best type to get as I don't want to waste money by investing in something with unnecessary capabilities. Just something that has the ability to focus "close up" in a similar way or where I can adjust the lens in comparison to the distance from lens to paper surface etc.
Would I need an actual tripod or adjustable arm to clamp on side of drawing table etc? Feedback, comments, constructive criticism appreciated. In essence, once I would record, am fairly certain I could re-edit within Windows Media on my system.
Thanks.....
PS: feel free to mention makes, models and places online to look and potentially buy etc.

just saw this today

http://vimeo.com/channels/iphonehd/44907630
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page