I'm looking for a camcorder for outdoor filming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-17-2012, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a camcorder that i want to you use for filming outdoors (skateboarding), i would like to know more about what i should be looking for in terms of the quality in video and the types of fisheye lenses i should be after. i have a budget of around $400 so if you guys could give me some information on what i should be looking for that would be great smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-17-2012, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

oh yeah and i forgot to mention that i would like to be doing close up filming aswell, so if anyone has any information on fisheye that will fit onto the right camcorder, that would be great! smile.gif
post #3 of 8 Old 07-17-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
gabe - at your price point, I recommend the $260 Sony CX190. Try it without the fisheye/wide angle adapter first, to see if it gives you what you need. If not, there are well-reviewed third party fisheye adapters for the camera that don't cost a lot of money, like this $33 (with shipping) adapter from Vivitar.

Hope this is helpful - please let us know how it turns out -- it would be great to see some of your skateboard videos!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #4 of 8 Old 07-17-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Bill's suggestion is a good one, but I would take a different approach.

I think you should take a look at the Sony HX20V. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-HX20V-Digital-3-0-inch/dp/tech-data/B006K551WQ/ref=de_a_smtd. I have last years model.

It may not look like a video camera, but it is. Last years model was called an HX9V. Use "HX9V" as a search on YouTube and you will see how good it is.

Does it take better video with better picture quality than Bill's suggestion? No, but it will do at least equal to it. Plugged into a big screen TV the full HD picture is amazing.

Advantages include that it can safely ride in your pocket while it is your turn to ride. You can safely hold it in your palm, held low, while you ride and it will get fantastic motion shots in the near fisheye wide angle setting. It has enough zoom you can get head shots from across the bowl. Stabilization and color are very good. The wide angle setting is very wide, so a fisheye adapter is not necessary, unless you really want the fisheye distortion.

Some would tell you to get a GoPro because you can wear it or attach it to your board. But, the sound is terrible and it is always in wide angle. The video is good though!

What I don't like about Bill's suggestion is that the viewfinder sticks out like a wing. Although useful, I think I would worry about it in a high action environment.

What I like most about the HX9V, or more current HX20V, is that it is an entire kit that can be with me all the time. You could keep it in an old sock in your skate bag or pack where it is available when the shot opportunities are good. A camcorder that is with you is better than one that's not.

I googled "HX9V skateboard" and found some videos you can watch at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4429G_aIik
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEK_KPbb9-U
or
https://vimeo.com/28447219

Have fun!

A different Bill
post #5 of 8 Old 07-18-2012, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I agree with Bill. If the lens on the $380 HX9V or $335 HX20V is wide enough, and you'll never shoot more than 30 minutes of video in one clip, the point & shoots are just fine for your application and easier to handle.

If you need a true "fisheye" look, and/or the camera ever doubles as an event camera (e.g., graduations, weddings, etc.) - you should get something like the $260 CX190 and an inexpensive fisheye like the Vivitar I recommended above, or this one from Opteka.

Cheers,

Bill B. (not S.) smile.gif
post #6 of 8 Old 07-19-2012, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

thanks so much for both of your recommendations, i think i mite go with the first bill's idea because i really am trying to find a camera that can fit a lens with the true fisheye look, and the camera that you have recommended looks and sounds great. i also wanted to ask if it would be worthwile just buying a second hand camera instead of a brand new one?smile.gif
post #7 of 8 Old 07-19-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 97
There is nothing wrong with a second hand camera unless there is something that does not work.

I bought a second hand sports car a few years ago (Honda S2000) and, despite test driving it, discovered that on compression in second gear it would pop out. Without a warranty, I had no options. I had to get used to it.

Bill
post #8 of 8 Old 07-19-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabebitti View Post

i also wanted to ask if it would be worthwile just buying a second hand camera instead of a brand new one?smile.gif

You are taking a chance with used, especially if you lack the experience to spot problems and/or don't know the history of the device from the previous owner(s).

It would be better to buy a "refurbished" camcorder directly from the manufacturer. These are camcorders brought back to full factory specifications.
They are like new and you get a 90-day warranty. A camcorder refurbished by the manufacturer also makes it eligible for third party insurance/extended warranty. ("Mack" warranties have inexpensive 3-year warranties for camcorders refurbished by the manufacturer, but the warranty must be purchased from an authorized Mack dealer for it to be valid.)

Canon Direct Store: (HFM41 or HFM40 are good choices):
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_17252

Sony Outlet & Refurbished Products::
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCatalog?langId=-1&searchType=outlet&storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&N=4294961695&navigation=Category

Panasonic Factory Outlet Store (also has open box and new items at discount):
http://panasonic.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/17648/Panasonic-Camcoders.html
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page