Panasonic HC-V500 QUESTIONS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-28-2012, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently I have been looking into different types of camcorders that would be used for filming skateboarding. After looking into what type of camcorder i should get and what type of brands I'm looking for, I have found one that appeals to me, it is the Panasonic HC-V500, and I need some details as to what the lens size is. I am planning on purchasing a fisheye lens (preferably and opteka baby death ) and i need to know weather i need an adapter to fit onto it or if the fisheye would fit right onto the lens.
If i could have some extra information about what im looking for in terms of sizing then that would be fantastic!

here are the links of the camera and fisheye that i want to purchase
http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-OPT-SC37FE-Platinum-Fisheye-Camcorders/dp/B001VMQ2PS/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343441041&sr=1-3&keywords=baby+death+fisheye

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-HC-V500M-Camcorder-Internal-Memory/dp/B0072B5COY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343473472&sr=1-1&keywords=panasonic+HC-V500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-28-2012, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabebitti View Post

Recently I have been looking into different types of camcorders that would be used for filming skateboarding. After looking into what type of camcorder i should get and what type of brands I'm looking for, I have found one that appeals to me, it is the Panasonic HC-V500, and I need some details as to what the lens size is. I am planning on purchasing a fisheye lens (preferably and opteka baby death ) and i need to know weather i need an adapter to fit onto it or if the fisheye would fit right onto the lens.
If i could have some extra information about what im looking for in terms of sizing then that would be fantastic!
here are the links of the camera and fisheye that i want to purchase
http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-OPT-SC37FE-Platinum-Fisheye-Camcorders/dp/B001VMQ2PS?tag=battleforthew-20
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-HC-V500M-Camcorder-Internal-Memory/dp/B0072B5COY?tag=battleforthew-20

Hi Gabe - sadly, the $358 V500 does not have a filter thread. You'd have to step up to the $428 V700 to get a 46mm filter thread.

Hercules makes a $190 (w shipping) 46mm 0.3x fisheye adapter (similar to the Opteka) that fits the V700 - and Zeikos makes a less expensive $25.50 46mm 0.4x fisheye adapter.

With the V700 and the Zeikos, you would pay about the same amount as for the V500 and the Opteka (and you'll end up with a better camcorder that actually has a lens filter thread, as well as a larger sensor, a mic input and a built-in flash for stills).

Hope this is helpful - and please post some video when you get your camera!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #3 of 11 Old 07-28-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

thanks bill, as the Panasonic V-500 doesn't have a filter thread I have also seen another model called the Panasonic TM80 which is cheaper than the V-700. I wanted to know if it would be possible to attach the opteka fisheye lens onto the TM80 (with or without an adapter). I can't seem to find where to find how wide the lens is. if you could give me some more information on that again, that would be fantastic.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-28-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

...... I can't seem to find where to find how wide the lens is. if you could give me some more information on that again, that would be fantastic.
You can look up specs and download manuals from Panasonic.

Try: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/HDC-TM80K?t=manuals&support#tabs

It doesn't look like that model has filter threads either.

Bill (a different one)
post #5 of 11 Old 07-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Gabe - if you need a lens with filter thread on a decent camcorder below $400, you might want to try the $399 Sony CX160. No flash or movie light, but it does have a mic input and a 37mm filter thread - perfect for your $80 Opteka fisheye.

Cheers,

Bill
post #6 of 11 Old 07-29-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks alot bill,
I have looked up some of the reviews of the sony hdr cx160 and they tell me that the quality isn't exactly great standard. I wanted to know if there is a panasonic handycam that will give me great quality video and that also has a 37mm thread. i am happy to spend around the $450 mark aslong as i know that I can definitely fit on a fisheye.
I also wanted to know how you find out weather it has a filter thread or not, and how you know what size filter thread the lens is. i don't know too much about cameras..

cheers:)
post #7 of 11 Old 07-30-2012, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks alot bill,
I have looked up some of the reviews of the sony hdr cx160 and they tell me that the quality isn't exactly great standard. I wanted to know if there is a panasonic handycam that will give me great quality video and that also has a 37mm thread. i am happy to spend around the $450 mark aslong as i know that I can definitely fit on a fisheye.
I also wanted to know how you find out weather it has a filter thread or not, and how you know what size filter thread the lens is. i don't know too much about cameras..
cheers:)

Hi Gabe - To find the filter thread size, I go to the manufacturer's website and the specs page of the camcorder I'm looking at. For the HC-V700, the specifications page is here (46mm filter thread). For the HC-V500 it is here (no filter thread).

If your budget is $450 for the camcorder and about $80 for the fisheye adapter, why not get a $407 V700 with 16GB of internal memory (less than the $438 it costs with zero memory), a 58mm fisheye and a $2.50 46mm to 58mm step up ring? To me, that makes more sense than looking for a camera with a specific lens diameter...

Hope that's helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #8 of 11 Old 07-31-2012, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

thanks so much bill. that's a great idea, should i buy a step down ring to fit the 37 mm lens from the 46mm? I am quite convinced that I want to buy the baby death lens. other than that, i know what I am buying now.
thanks so much

Gabe
post #9 of 11 Old 08-01-2012, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

gabe - The challenge with stepping down, especially at wide angles, is that you are more likely to get the vignetting/"porthole effect", as seen in the video below. Stepping up is probably the better plan.

https://vimeo.com/5937270

Cheers,

Bill
post #10 of 11 Old 01-20-2013, 02:46 PM

I have got the panasonic v-500 and it says on the camcorder that its a 89.3mm
post #11 of 11 Old 02-01-2013, 10:00 AM