What HD Camcorder is best suited for easy transfer/editing on an iMac? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-12-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm looking to buy a gently used or refurbished very compact HD camcorder and priority #1 is it has to be iMac friendly. I use macs, and we have two iPhones and an iPad3 in the house. It has to be small and hopefully have good features. One camcorder I'm considering is a Sanyo Xacti HD1010 or 2000. Another is a refurbed Pannasonic HDC-SD90. Main use will be recording sports and gymnastic events, occasional visit to drag racing track. Would like to be able to create easy to email clips and also uploads to YOUTUBE. The cameras noted are in the $300-$400 range and thats my budget. Camcorders that have the capability to simultaneously snap a still shot in at least 3-4 MP would be a plus.

Mike

Iron Horse

If God had intended man to watch TV 24/7, he would have given him rabbit ears Â
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I don't have an iMac.

Most on this forum would probably suggest you get the SD90. It is a well liked and respected camcorder here.

That said, all current camcorders put video into standard file formats. You're iMac does not care. The software on your iMac might care a little. The easiest and quickest way to move the files to your iMac is to pull the SD card from the camera and plug it into your iMac. Be sure and get a camcorder that uses SD cards and if your iMac does not have a slot for that, very cheap USB adapters work well. The Apple version of cut and paste or drag and drop is all that is necessary.

On most Sonys and Panasonics, the highest picture quality setting is 1080p60. Apple's lawyers have not struck a deal with Sony and Panasonic for permission to use that format. Canon cameras typically don't use it at all, so sometimes users of Apple software will prefer Canon cameras. I have no idea what Sanyos do.

If you buy a Sony or Panasonic your Apple software will probably like any of the other three or four settings that produce files that are more efficient and still have great picture quality. Some will go so far as to say that the 1080p60 setting is too clear and doesn't look like "real movies", so they refuse to use it anyway.

Assuming your iMac is not old and slow, your other option is to use software from a third party. Adobe makes lots of software that runs on iMacs. My favorite is Adobe Premier Elements 10 and costs $60. It will handle lots of file formats, including the one Apple software does not like. It is particularly good at email clips and uploading to YouTube. It is also good at creating output optimized for iPhones and iPads. If you take the time, you can learn to do amazing and complex things with it. There is a free 30 day trial.

Bill
Old 08-14-2012, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks for the reply Bill. The Panasonic is probably the camcorder I'll go with as all the YouTube videos I've seen of various contenders I like... well, the Panny looks very good. Going to focus on reading posts here on the Panny and see what I can learn.

Iron Horse

If God had intended man to watch TV 24/7, he would have given him rabbit ears Â