What HD camcorder should I buy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-13-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to this hobby and I am trying to buy two camcorders. I want to use them to create videos for You tube and my website. I've been looking at various camcorders on Amazon but I do not know where to start. I will be using Premiere CS5.5 (I am currently learning how to use it). Does anyone have any advice on a camcorder? I want to spend around $500 a piece give or take. Also...what do I need in terms of lighting? I am going to shoot a cooking show for my blog and website. It will be in my home kitchen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-13-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy703 View Post

I am new to this hobby and I am trying to buy two camcorders. I want to use them to create videos for You tube and my website. I've been looking at various camcorders on Amazon but I do not know where to start. I will be using Premiere CS5.5 (I am currently learning how to use it). Does anyone have any advice on a camcorder? I want to spend around $500 a piece give or take. Also...what do I need in terms of lighting? I am going to shoot a cooking show for my blog and website. It will be in my home kitchen.

Hi Amy - welcome to the forum! Sounds like a fun project. For a two camera setup, the key will be editing - and it sounds like you're in the process of figuring that out with Premiere.

For your purposes, just about any HD camcorder will do. In my view, the best value for money would be a couple of $400 Panasonic HC-V700s plus a couple of $44 64GB SDXC cards.

You'll also need a couple of tripods, if you don't have them, and a soft lighting setup. I recommend the Ravelli AVTP tripod for $120 and a $160 softbox lighting kit.

Depending on your experience level, you may want to read a book or two on two-camera video production if you want your show to stand out from most of the stuff on the web.

Hope this is helpful - please post links to your website and blog so we can follow your show!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #3 of 13 Old 08-13-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Adding a little to Bill's post, I think the book "How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck" is terrific. Steve Stockman starts out by committing to leaving the technical part to others so as to concentrate on the craft and art of video.

His website: http://www.stevestockman.com/the-book/

The book: http://www.amazon.com/Shoot-Video-That-Doesnt-Suck/dp/0761163239/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344877654&sr=1-1&keywords=how+to+shoot+video+that+doesn%27t+suck

Another Bill
post #4 of 13 Old 08-14-2012, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great information! I am going to order two of the Panasonic that you recommended. We will see how this turns out!!! Is it best to use two cameras?
post #5 of 13 Old 08-14-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the great information! I am going to order two of the Panasonic that you recommended. We will see how this turns out!!! Is it best to use two cameras?

Glad I could be helpful. Yes - I think you want two HC-V700s, unless you want to reposition a single camcorder between your medium shots and closeups - which ends up being more work - and makes continuity more difficult.

Here is a cooking show using two cameras, where the closeup is shot at the same time as the medium shot:

http://www.rachelvalentin.com/hdpilot.html

If this is close to the result you want, I recommend you go with two cameras.

Again - good luck, and hope to see your show when it's posted.

Bill
post #6 of 13 Old 08-20-2012, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Well we went out camping this weekend and used the camcorders. I filmed my husband cooking on the smoker. My next step is to play around with it on Premiere and see if I can make something out of it. The camcorders were pretty easy to use and I was able to plug them into the TV in the RV to watch what I had filmed.

Several issues that I encountered this weekend:

1. Battery: I am seriously going to have to buy several backup batteries and a charger. We ran out of power pretty fast and had to charge in the middle of everything.

2. Mic: Definitely need a better mic. Outside shots didn't sound that great.

3. Lighting: My shots outside definitely need some help. If I am trying to get a shot of my subject's whole body, I lost the face. You can barely see his face. This happened outside where there was a lot of light. What do you do in these instances?

4. Tripod: I have to get better at using this.

5. Script: We waste a lot of time re-filming because we did not have a plan about what we wanted to say. It is funny because you get in front of the camera and you are like "Duh!!...blank." LOL!

Overall...It was fun...but we have a lot to learn. I am seeing the limitations of the camcorders even after only one use but I am not wanting to spend ten thousand bucks on a camera....so it is what it is!
post #7 of 13 Old 08-20-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Congratulations on getting out there and shooting, Amy! Yes, you'll need high capacity batteries (I use Wasabis) and an external mic closer to your subject (I use Azden VHF wireless)

As far as your outdoor lighting issues go - a reflector is a lot less expensive than fill lights.

And yes, scripts and planning are good things smile.gif

Look forward to seeing your results,

Bill
post #8 of 13 Old 08-20-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Could it have something to do with my aperture not being small enough? Can you adjust it on the Panasonic or is it automatic?
post #9 of 13 Old 08-21-2012, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Could it have something to do with my aperture not being small enough? Can you adjust it on the Panasonic or is it automatic?

Yes, if you press the IA/Manual button, you have full manual control of shutter speed and iris (aperture). Instructions are on p. 76 of the manual.

If there's enough light, you can sometimes sharpen a picture by closing down the iris.

Is the problem with faces in long shots that they are dark compared to the rest of the scene - or is it that the picture is too fuzzy to resolve them?

Best,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #10 of 13 Old 08-21-2012, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Its not really that they are dark or fuzzy...They just blend in. It is hard to describe. If I try to shoot someones whole body, I lose everything about their face...you don't really see their eyes or expressions.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-21-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

A couple of silly questions:

1) are you shooting in iFrame or 60p?

2) are you watching your playback using an HDMI cable or the A/V cable plugged into your TV?
post #12 of 13 Old 08-22-2012, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

I am not sure about the iFrame or 60p but I was using the A/V cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunerww View Post

A couple of silly questions:
1) are you shooting in iFrame or 60p?
2) are you watching your playback using an HDMI cable or the A/V cable plugged into your TV?
post #13 of 13 Old 08-22-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am not sure about the iFrame or 60p but I was using the A/V cable.

I think that explains your low resolution playback. The only way to play back in high definition is to use an inexpensive HDMI cable like this one from the V700's HDMI output to your TV (assuming your TV has an HDMI input).

Good luck!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page