Looking for a relatively decent camcorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-25-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm the head of the newscast at our school and we're going to invest in a new camera. We've been using a piece of crap Sony Bloggie to record our whole newscast and it just isn't cutting it anymore. We're looking for a camera that isn't too incredibly expensive that does have good 1080p quality, uses video files compatible with both Mac/Windows, as well as has decent sound (or has a microphone hook-up, if so could you please include decent mics as well), and decent battery. The bad thing about it is, we're looking in the 300-400 dollars (upward of 500 is okay too) for this machine, which is hard to get a really nice camcorder at this cost. We'll be filming indoors a lot, in front of a green screen a lot, and it needs to be pretty easily transportable.

But if you could please help me, it'd be very appreciated. I'm not too incredibly into video stuff so any help is worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-25-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmohammad View Post

I'm the head of the newscast at our school and we're going to invest in a new camera. We've been using a piece of crap Sony Bloggie to record our whole newscast and it just isn't cutting it anymore. We're looking for a camera that isn't too incredibly expensive that does have good 1080p quality, uses video files compatible with both Mac/Windows, as well as has decent sound (or has a microphone hook-up, if so could you please include decent mics as well), and decent battery. The bad thing about it is, we're looking in the 300-400 dollars (upward of 500 is okay too) for this machine, which is hard to get a really nice camcorder at this cost. We'll be filming indoors a lot, in front of a green screen a lot, and it needs to be pretty easily transportable.
But if you could please help me, it'd be very appreciated. I'm not too incredibly into video stuff so any help is worth it.

Mohammad - you're right - it's hard to get a camcorder suitable for chroma key for $300 to $500. It can be done, but you are likely to get some fringing.

In your price range, I would ordinarily recommend the $422 Panasonic HC-V700 as the best value for money (1080/60p, built in movie light, standard cold shoe adapter), but for a newscast where you care about sound, your camera operator needs to be able to monitor audio - and the V700 doesn't have a headphone jack. I think you'd be better off with a $525 Canon HF M500. A little more expensive, but it has a headphone jack for audio monitoring, and you don't need 1080/60p for your application. 1080/24p or 30p is fine. It produces results like this: https://vimeo.com/40381549 and this: https://vimeo.com/40381549

I use the Azden VHF wireless lapel mic and a mono to stereo adapter with my camcorder and it works great.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #3 of 3 Old 09-14-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Bill incredibly helpful.
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page