Transferring miniDV to digital - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, first time poster, long time lurker.

Thanks to the help from this forum, I've managed to transfer almost all my miniDV tapes to my computer using a firewire card and the straightforward WinDV program.

Unfortunately, with just a few tapes to go, my camcorder (Canon Elura 100) died. I've been looking to replace it with a used one from ebay to transfer over the remaining tapes, but they run pretty expensive.

Would a cheaper camcorder such as the canon zr850, canon zr40, or JVC GR-D72 allow me transfer over the tapes without a loss of resolution? In general, does the quality of the camcorder matter (strictly in terms of transferring miniDV to digital without loss of quality) as long as it reads miniDV tapes and has firewire out?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cq992 View Post

Hi, first time poster, long time lurker.
Thanks to the help from this forum, I've managed to transfer almost all my miniDV tapes to my computer using a firewire card and the straightforward WinDV program.
Unfortunately, with just a few tapes to go, my camcorder (Canon Elura 100) died. I've been looking to replace it with a used one from ebay to transfer over the remaining tapes, but they run pretty expensive.
Would a cheaper camcorder such as the canon zr850, canon zr40, or JVC GR-D72 allow me transfer over the tapes without a loss of resolution? In general, does the quality of the camcorder matter (strictly in terms of transferring miniDV to digital without loss of quality) as long as it reads miniDV tapes and has firewire out?
Thanks

MiniDV is already digital. You are just transferring it to your computer. No loss of quality using any MiniDV camcorder.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Please excuse my ignorance but I want to make sure I understand this right: If you transfer it over USB you lose resolution, but that is more a function of the camcorder reading the digital data at a speed higher than USB 2.0 can transfer, so quality is lost. What you are saying is that any miniDV camcorder, regardless of the quality it is capable of recording at, should be able to read miniDV data that was recorded at higher quality and send it over firewire without loss of resolution?

Thanks again.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cq992 View Post

Please excuse my ignorance but I want to make sure I understand this right: If you transfer it over USB you lose resolution, but that is more a function of the camcorder reading the digital data at a speed higher than USB 2.0 can transfer, so quality is lost. What you are saying is that any miniDV camcorder, regardless of the quality it is capable of recording at, should be able to read miniDV data that was recorded at higher quality and send it over firewire without loss of resolution?
Thanks again.

You are mixing two different interfaces. FireWire was designed for DV video format. I thought miniDV was uncompressed but DV is a compressed format. I read the transfer is 25 Mbps for video and 1.5Mbps for audio. You are correct that some camcorders with USB will lose resolution but there are some that can still do it. So use Firewire not USB 2.0. You will not lose any quality.

Also USB 2.0 has a much higher bit rate than miniDV. 480Mbps!
post #5 of 8 Old 08-30-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Correct, USB 2.0 is definitely fast enough, but firewire is standardized for open streaming because it has greater reliability than USB. USB is fine for closed files.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-30-2012, 12:30 PM

Please help me....
I have many Hi 8 tapes made on a Sony CCD TR-81 camera.
The camera no longer works.
How can I transfer them? I have looked to buy a used camera to use, but can't find one on ebay.
Can I use just any Hi 8 recorder? will they play these tapes?
I don't want to buy one and then the tapes not play.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-30-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Get a Digital-8 camera, then it will be play back with a time-base-corrector for stability. Instant digital conversion decreases signal loss compared to using AV cables to a caputure card, and the only cable you will need is firewire. Then you can sell the camera for the same price you bought it for.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-30-2012, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza123 View Post

Please help me....
I have many Hi 8 tapes made on a Sony CCD TR-81 camera.
The camera no longer works.
How can I transfer them? I have looked to buy a used camera to use, but can't find one on ebay.
Can I use just any Hi 8 recorder? will they play these tapes?
I don't want to buy one and then the tapes not play.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Wow that's too funny! I still have that exact camera for my old Hi8 videos. I know you will ask so no I don't want to sell it. Sorry!
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page