The Official: Sony PJ710 / PJ760 / PJ780 / PJ790 Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Other Areas of Interest > Camcorders > The Official: Sony PJ710 / PJ760 / PJ780 / PJ790 Owners Thread

Camcorders

RobAC's Avatar RobAC
09:01 PM Liked: 20
post #61 of 78
12-16-2013 | Posts: 128
Jack,

Welcome to the forums.

Simple way- tap the lcd screen.
Look at the lower right hand side you should see " iAuto " pop up.
Select that and it should turn green. (You can go into settings later and fine tune things to your liking manually. But I find the iAuto does almost everything perfectly for me, so I leave it on.)

Now test the macro setting by moving your camcorder close to an object. You should see a Green Flower symbol that indicates the camcorder has automatically switched over to Macro mode.
You record video and move the camcorder closer towards an object. You can now also switch over to Camera still pic mode (button to the left of the battery,) and use that to take still Macro shots.

Rob
Yacc's Avatar Yacc
09:53 AM Liked: 10
post #62 of 78
12-18-2013 | Posts: 3

Rob,

Thank you for the answer and the help. It was really simple with your method. I previously did a mistake by choosing the Macro mode first, and then trying to get very short focus distance. Now it works perfectly.

Jack

brownnet's Avatar brownnet
04:57 PM Liked: 11
post #63 of 78
12-25-2013 | Posts: 101
Hi there, just opened a PJ790 that was left under my tree, and before I get too far down the road, wanted to ask a quick question: when closed, the LCD screen seems loose/flimsy. It flexes up and down quite a bi ccompared to my previous camera. It does seem solid when open. Anyone else experience this, or should I just package it back up and try for another camera? Thanks in advance.
xfws's Avatar xfws
08:53 PM Liked: 27
post #64 of 78
12-25-2013 | Posts: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownnet View Post

Hi there, just opened a PJ790 that was left under my tree, and before I get too far down the road, wanted to ask a quick question: when closed, the LCD screen seems loose/flimsy. It flexes up and down quite a bi ccompared to my previous camera. It does seem solid when open. Anyone else experience this, or should I just package it back up and try for another camera? Thanks in advance.

I noticed this on all the camcorders/cameras I have owned: LCD can be pushed up and down when closed, but solid when open.
I think it's a necessity of the design, I would say it's normal.
Yacc's Avatar Yacc
01:40 AM Liked: 10
post #65 of 78
12-26-2013 | Posts: 3
Quote:

when closed, the LCD screen seems loose/flimsy

Hi,

I think it's normal in this model. I've got PJ780 and I had similar feelings at the beginning (previously I used some Panasonic camcorders).

brownnet's Avatar brownnet
09:18 AM Liked: 11
post #66 of 78
12-26-2013 | Posts: 101
Thanks for the feedback. On to making pictures!
August1991's Avatar August1991
01:36 AM Liked: 11
post #67 of 78
01-09-2014 | Posts: 299
Quote:

... when closed, the LCD screen seems loose/flimsy. It flexes up and down quite a bi ccompared to my previous camera.
The projectior is part of the LCD screen, making the flip-out bulky. In addition, the flip-out screen can twist/turn and fold back. In addition, it's a weight issue. Sony wanted lighter. The end result is a bulky but light fold-out screen.

In my hand, I prefer the SR-11 to the PJ-790 and wish Sony engineers had studied their target market better,
spyker1212's Avatar spyker1212
02:48 AM Liked: 13
post #68 of 78
01-09-2014 | Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by August1991 View Post

In my hand, I prefer the SR-11 to the PJ-790 and wish Sony engineers had studied their target market better,

when sony introduced the 1" fdr-ax100 4k camcorder. first thing I look is if it has balanced optical steadyshot. too bad it didn't.

I will wait for sony to introduce the 1" 4k with balanced optical steadyshot. I love my new cx760 with bos system. sony sr-11 does
not have bos system just the super steady shot image stabilizer.
jogiba's Avatar jogiba
11:31 AM Liked: 76
post #69 of 78
01-11-2014 | Posts: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker1212 View Post

when sony introduced the 1" fdr-ax100 4k camcorder. first thing I look is if it has balanced optical steadyshot. too bad it didn't.

I will wait for sony to introduce the 1" 4k with balanced optical steadyshot. I love my new cx760 with bos system. sony sr-11 does
not have bos system just the super steady shot image stabilizer.
It would have to be a much larger camera to use balanced optical steadyshot with a 4K camcorder using a 1" sensor and 12x optical lens.

Jasjagpal's Avatar Jasjagpal
05:17 PM Liked: 10
post #70 of 78
03-12-2014 | Posts: 2
I had bought a PJ710 to take home videos for real estate. Can anyone recommend me the best extra wide lens I can get for it.

It doesn't seem to capture the full width the quality of video is pretty nice.

Thank you,
Jas
P&Struefan's Avatar P&Struefan
09:38 PM Liked: 28
post #71 of 78
03-12-2014 | Posts: 168
I believe the camera comes with a step-down adapter allowing add-ons with a 37mm thread to mount on the camera. Sony has a couple of wide-angle adapters still on sale in the market that might be compatible with your camera. There's a catch, however. You have to turn off all image stabilization modes for the camera to work since the whole lens and sensor module of this series of camera models sits on some kind of gyro-stabilization coils and moves independently from the fixed filter thread in front of the camera body (see posted image above). And even if you can live with no stabilization I'm still not sure if the optical design of the camera's lens is fully compatible with those two adapters which first came out over two years ago to fit most Sony Handycam models with a conventional, in-the-lens stabilization system.

My suggestion is since the camera's stabilization system is what sets this Sony Handycam series apart from the rest of other similar camcorders in the market, you'd better stick with the native lens you already have. 26mm should be wide enough.
Jasjagpal's Avatar Jasjagpal
09:34 AM Liked: 10
post #72 of 78
03-13-2014 | Posts: 2

Thanks for your reply P&Struefan.  I probably should drop by a Henry's store and see if they have any adapter in stock.  Is there a better camera you recommend I should review that doesn't cost in the thousands. :)

P&Struefan's Avatar P&Struefan
02:58 AM Liked: 28
post #73 of 78
03-16-2014 | Posts: 168
I'm not familiar with other camera brands in this price range as I use mostly Sony gear for my work and vacation. But if you like the new Sony stabilization system like I do it's hard to go back. Even my work cameras costing $5,000-$6,000 don't have anything close to it.
Jill wells's Avatar Jill wells
05:45 AM Liked: 10
post #74 of 78
05-07-2014 | Posts: 1
Hi Rob,

I am new to the forum, having just purchased the sony pj 780 camcorder.

I relate to all the issues you have raised And am happy so far with those.
However I need help! Fast!
I would welcome your view on the sound recording quality . I have tried recording at half volume and others on the scale given, and in all cases there is a background noise like a waterfall which is ruining any quiet recording that I take. I assume it is the internal transformer (?) whirring. I have the dead cat on the mic, and immobilising the floating lens makes no difference. I understand that a remote mic may help but am surprised at the hiss on this new camcorder. Would you advise me if your machine does the same? I have been told I can get a refund this week but am loath to do this as I need a remote control and would have to go right back to the beginning and spend hours researching the market all over again.

Thanks............ Jill
keiban's Avatar keiban
06:24 AM Liked: 11
post #75 of 78
05-08-2014 | Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasjagpal View Post

I had bought a PJ710 to take home videos for real estate. Can anyone recommend me the best extra wide lens I can get for it.
It doesn't seem to capture the full width the quality of video is pretty nice.
Thank you,
Jas

Hi Jas,
since I use handycams for skydiving and need very wide angles, I experiment with lots of converters and found this: all multi-elements ones vignettes badly because of the already wide angle of the camera lens, and also the b.o.s.s. goes crazy. Single elements converter works but they need to be thin or very big to not vignette. At the end I custom made a 0.6 lens and Im happy with it. Is made of delrin, weight 75 grms and has a 77mm thread for filter. Now Im working in a sun hood because is prone to reflections with that much angle, is equivalent to a 16mm lens in a full frame camera.
Cheers,
Gustavo

RobAC's Avatar RobAC
08:01 AM Liked: 20
post #76 of 78
05-12-2014 | Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill wells View Post

Hi Rob,

I am new to the forum, having just purchased the sony pj 780 camcorder.

I relate to all the issues you have raised And am happy so far with those.
However I need help! Fast!
I would welcome your view on the sound recording quality . I have tried recording at half volume and others on the scale given, and in all cases there is a background noise like a waterfall which is ruining any quiet recording that I take. I assume it is the internal transformer (?) whirring. I have the dead cat on the mic, and immobilising the floating lens makes no difference. I understand that a remote mic may help but am surprised at the hiss on this new camcorder. Would you advise me if your machine does the same? I have been told I can get a refund this week but am loath to do this as I need a remote control and would have to go right back to the beginning and spend hours researching the market all over again.

Thanks............ Jill

Hi Jill, apologies for the late reply.

You should not be getting that whirring / hissing noise when recording. Even when recording and zooming at the same time you should not be getting any motor noise from the camera.
If you are in a noisy environment of course you will get normal background noise, but not the type you are describing.
So sorry to say- but I agree, you should return and replace your camera with a newer unit. Yours definitely sounds like a defective unit.

Rob
Techie007's Avatar Techie007
12:09 PM Liked: 10
post #77 of 78
09-06-2014 | Posts: 4
    It sounds like the electret condenser microphones have moisture in them. I know it has been a long time, but I'll put two potential solutions for this out there anyway for anyone reading this later:
    Put a hair drier on the low setting, and have it blow into the microphone from several inches away for a minute and see if the issue clears up. Make sure that the camcorder doesn't get too hot to touch so that nothing melts or deforms.
    Another way is to seal the camcorder in a ziploc freezer bag along with a lot of desiccants for several days (don't put it in the freezer, though).
PulseX
12:53 PM Liked: 0
post #78 of 78
Today | Posts: 1
My first post here folks.

Hello from the UK !

I use a PAL SONY PJ780VE (for over a year now) and recently the NIGHTSHOT, VIDEO LIGHT, PLAYBACK AND PROJECTOR buttons on the body have disabled themselves. So they do not function when pressed.

My camcorder has no water damage, has never been knocked or dropped. And although it has a built in memory I always use Sandisk memory cards.

Any ideas?

I have tried resetting several times, with a hard reset and via the menu (initialize). And I have repeated this process both via mains power and battery.

Everything else seems fine. But it is a major annoyance as it will significantly effect re-sale value in the future should I ever want to sell to upgrade.

Reply Camcorders

Subscribe to this Thread