The Official: Sony PJ710 / PJ760 / PJ780 / PJ790 Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 76 Old 12-16-2013, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Jack,

Welcome to the forums.

Simple way- tap the lcd screen.
Look at the lower right hand side you should see " iAuto " pop up.
Select that and it should turn green. (You can go into settings later and fine tune things to your liking manually. But I find the iAuto does almost everything perfectly for me, so I leave it on.)

Now test the macro setting by moving your camcorder close to an object. You should see a Green Flower symbol that indicates the camcorder has automatically switched over to Macro mode.
You record video and move the camcorder closer towards an object. You can now also switch over to Camera still pic mode (button to the left of the battery,) and use that to take still Macro shots.

Rob
Techie007 and Yacc like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 Old 12-18-2013, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Rob,

Thank you for the answer and the help. It was really simple with your method. I previously did a mistake by choosing the Macro mode first, and then trying to get very short focus distance. Now it works perfectly.

Jack

post #63 of 76 Old 12-25-2013, 03:57 PM

Liked: 11
Hi there, just opened a PJ790 that was left under my tree, and before I get too far down the road, wanted to ask a quick question: when closed, the LCD screen seems loose/flimsy. It flexes up and down quite a bi ccompared to my previous camera. It does seem solid when open. Anyone else experience this, or should I just package it back up and try for another camera? Thanks in advance.
post #64 of 76 Old 12-25-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownnet View Post

Hi there, just opened a PJ790 that was left under my tree, and before I get too far down the road, wanted to ask a quick question: when closed, the LCD screen seems loose/flimsy. It flexes up and down quite a bi ccompared to my previous camera. It does seem solid when open. Anyone else experience this, or should I just package it back up and try for another camera? Thanks in advance.

I noticed this on all the camcorders/cameras I have owned: LCD can be pushed up and down when closed, but solid when open.
I think it's a necessity of the design, I would say it's normal.
post #65 of 76 Old 12-26-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:

when closed, the LCD screen seems loose/flimsy

Hi,

I think it's normal in this model. I've got PJ780 and I had similar feelings at the beginning (previously I used some Panasonic camcorders).

post #66 of 76 Old 12-26-2013, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the feedback. On to making pictures!
Yacc likes this.
post #67 of 76 Old 01-09-2014, 12:36 AM

Quote:

... when closed, the LCD screen seems loose/flimsy. It flexes up and down quite a bi ccompared to my previous camera.
The projectior is part of the LCD screen, making the flip-out bulky. In addition, the flip-out screen can twist/turn and fold back. In addition, it's a weight issue. Sony wanted lighter. The end result is a bulky but light fold-out screen.

In my hand, I prefer the SR-11 to the PJ-790 and wish Sony engineers had studied their target market better,
post #68 of 76 Old 01-09-2014, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by August1991 View Post

In my hand, I prefer the SR-11 to the PJ-790 and wish Sony engineers had studied their target market better,

when sony introduced the 1" fdr-ax100 4k camcorder. first thing I look is if it has balanced optical steadyshot. too bad it didn't.

I will wait for sony to introduce the 1" 4k with balanced optical steadyshot. I love my new cx760 with bos system. sony sr-11 does
not have bos system just the super steady shot image stabilizer.
post #69 of 76 Old 01-11-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker1212 View Post

when sony introduced the 1" fdr-ax100 4k camcorder. first thing I look is if it has balanced optical steadyshot. too bad it didn't.

I will wait for sony to introduce the 1" 4k with balanced optical steadyshot. I love my new cx760 with bos system. sony sr-11 does
not have bos system just the super steady shot image stabilizer.
It would have to be a much larger camera to use balanced optical steadyshot with a 4K camcorder using a 1" sensor and 12x optical lens.

post #70 of 76 Old 03-12-2014, 04:17 PM

I had bought a PJ710 to take home videos for real estate. Can anyone recommend me the best extra wide lens I can get for it.

It doesn't seem to capture the full width the quality of video is pretty nice.

Thank you,
Jas
post #71 of 76 Old 03-12-2014, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I believe the camera comes with a step-down adapter allowing add-ons with a 37mm thread to mount on the camera. Sony has a couple of wide-angle adapters still on sale in the market that might be compatible with your camera. There's a catch, however. You have to turn off all image stabilization modes for the camera to work since the whole lens and sensor module of this series of camera models sits on some kind of gyro-stabilization coils and moves independently from the fixed filter thread in front of the camera body (see posted image above). And even if you can live with no stabilization I'm still not sure if the optical design of the camera's lens is fully compatible with those two adapters which first came out over two years ago to fit most Sony Handycam models with a conventional, in-the-lens stabilization system.

My suggestion is since the camera's stabilization system is what sets this Sony Handycam series apart from the rest of other similar camcorders in the market, you'd better stick with the native lens you already have. 26mm should be wide enough.
Jasjagpal likes this.
post #72 of 76 Old 03-13-2014, 08:34 AM

Thanks for your reply P&Struefan.  I probably should drop by a Henry's store and see if they have any adapter in stock.  Is there a better camera you recommend I should review that doesn't cost in the thousands. :)

post #73 of 76 Old 03-16-2014, 01:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm not familiar with other camera brands in this price range as I use mostly Sony gear for my work and vacation. But if you like the new Sony stabilization system like I do it's hard to go back. Even my work cameras costing $5,000-$6,000 don't have anything close to it.
post #74 of 76 Old 05-07-2014, 04:45 AM

Hi Rob,

I am new to the forum, having just purchased the sony pj 780 camcorder.

I relate to all the issues you have raised And am happy so far with those.
However I need help! Fast!
I would welcome your view on the sound recording quality . I have tried recording at half volume and others on the scale given, and in all cases there is a background noise like a waterfall which is ruining any quiet recording that I take. I assume it is the internal transformer (?) whirring. I have the dead cat on the mic, and immobilising the floating lens makes no difference. I understand that a remote mic may help but am surprised at the hiss on this new camcorder. Would you advise me if your machine does the same? I have been told I can get a refund this week but am loath to do this as I need a remote control and would have to go right back to the beginning and spend hours researching the market all over again.

Thanks............ Jill
post #75 of 76 Old 05-08-2014, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasjagpal View Post

I had bought a PJ710 to take home videos for real estate. Can anyone recommend me the best extra wide lens I can get for it.
It doesn't seem to capture the full width the quality of video is pretty nice.
Thank you,
Jas

Hi Jas,
since I use handycams for skydiving and need very wide angles, I experiment with lots of converters and found this: all multi-elements ones vignettes badly because of the already wide angle of the camera lens, and also the b.o.s.s. goes crazy. Single elements converter works but they need to be thin or very big to not vignette. At the end I custom made a 0.6 lens and Im happy with it. Is made of delrin, weight 75 grms and has a 77mm thread for filter. Now Im working in a sun hood because is prone to reflections with that much angle, is equivalent to a 16mm lens in a full frame camera.
Cheers,
Gustavo

RobAC likes this.
post #76 of 76 Old 05-12-2014, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill wells View Post

Hi Rob,

I am new to the forum, having just purchased the sony pj 780 camcorder.

I relate to all the issues you have raised And am happy so far with those.
However I need help! Fast!
I would welcome your view on the sound recording quality . I have tried recording at half volume and others on the scale given, and in all cases there is a background noise like a waterfall which is ruining any quiet recording that I take. I assume it is the internal transformer (?) whirring. I have the dead cat on the mic, and immobilising the floating lens makes no difference. I understand that a remote mic may help but am surprised at the hiss on this new camcorder. Would you advise me if your machine does the same? I have been told I can get a refund this week but am loath to do this as I need a remote control and would have to go right back to the beginning and spend hours researching the market all over again.

Thanks............ Jill

Hi Jill, apologies for the late reply.

You should not be getting that whirring / hissing noise when recording. Even when recording and zooming at the same time you should not be getting any motor noise from the camera.
If you are in a noisy environment of course you will get normal background noise, but not the type you are describing.
So sorry to say- but I agree, you should return and replace your camera with a newer unit. Yours definitely sounds like a defective unit.

Rob
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page