The Official: Sony PJ710 / PJ760 / PJ780 / PJ790 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2016, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymays View Post
What if I don't want to delete the stills, but I do want to delete all the video? or vice versa.??
I would usually only format a card or disk if something was wrong, or I'd had it for a long time.
Is this the ONLY way? :/
goto 'play', select the 'highlight event', select a video or photo. select the 'trashcan' symbol. it will ask 'this image' and 'multiple image', select 'multiple image' and start selecting the video or photo you want to delete. but it has limit on how many photo or video you can delete. then select the 'ok' under delete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2016, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sheesh. That's harsh .
So - either you go the whole hog, format the disk and virtually have to throw the baby out with the bath water - or - spend an hour and a half (like I recently had to) choosing the delete multiple .. Which is a real pain if you've just been overseas for 6 weeks I can tell you!
What a crazy system!
My Panasonic tm900 has a beautiful delete system. Delete single , delete multiple, (either video or stills) delete all video, or all photo, while leaving the other, or delete the lot... All in one go. No format involved. No choosing events.
I wonder why Sony would produce such a basic and cumbersome system.
I've owned Nikon, Panasonic ,canon and Pentax cameras and never seen one requiring a format to delete all . How weird. Maybe they 'forgot'.
I can't see the entire hard memory being full and a user individually deleting events.
Well- I guess I wasn't blind. It really wasn't there.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
What a crazy system!
My Panasonic tm900 has a beautiful delete system. Delete single , delete multiple, (either video or stills) delete all video, or all photo, while leaving the other, or delete the lot... All in one go. No format involved. No choosing events. .
I have pany tm700, tm900, sony ax100, cx760, ax33, gw77....

I use the sony camcorder 95% of the time. and Panasonic very rarely.

I transfer important video to computer right after taking video. do not let video fill up camcorder memory. reason is I have experienced camcorder sd card going bad after years of using. and lost everything.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I've owned Nikon, Panasonic ,canon and Pentax cameras and never seen one requiring a format to delete all . How weird. Maybe they 'forgot'.
I can't see the entire hard memory being full and a user individually deleting events.
Well- I guess I wasn't blind. It really wasn't there.
If you don't format the card in the camera, a bad memory spot may result in a corrupt file when formatting the camera could have avoided that. It's a really low probability event, but formating in camera is free.

http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00O2un
Old 05-09-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker1212 View Post
I have pany tm700, tm900, sony ax100, cx760, ax33, gw77....

I use the sony camcorder 95% of the time. and Panasonic very rarely.

I transfer important video to computer right after taking video. do not let video fill up camcorder memory. ...
Hi Spyker,

Re Sony V Panny - Yes, I use my Sony much more too. My Sony PJ760 does colour MUCH better than the cold auto white balance of the PanasonicTM900. I'm very fussy about the colour, and love the warm setting that the Sony's auto white balance is set to. I don't like fiddling with manual white balance, as many of the candid moments can be lost while fluffing around with a white card. (just for fun, I found two stills, one in a Hong Kong market, and one in a Thailand market -both in the shade) - the first on the left with the Panasonic camera still function, and the second with the Sony camera still function. Both are unedited and both with auto white balance. The Panasonic on the left ALWAYS had that cold, almost olive green cast which I really dislike. The Sony always has true to life, warm...almost a bit pink colour. Much more palateable.

Re Transfer: I also, transfer the important video to the PC immediately. I do, however, mostly leave it there for a while (though I've never come even near filling it up, but a few times have gone over half of the internal memory when on holidays overseas). I leave it there until I make my home video movie. This can take months for me to do - but I worry that if my pc crashes or something, then my original files are lost. Yes I suppose I could put them on an external hard drive, but when they're on the camera's hard drive it's just about the same thing. So I leave the files there until my movie is made, then delete them all. THATS where the 'delete all' would be handy. But now I think the format is a good option, since you suggested it might be good for it.

I only use the card for stills, and the internal memory for video. Is formatting the internal memory every 6 months or so safe? (or do you mean only for the SD card?)
BTW I really appreciate all your comments, they've been really helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New File 1(28).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	637.2 KB
ID:	1431482   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01194 (1024x576).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	431.8 KB
ID:	1431498  
Old 05-09-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
but I worry that if my pc crashes or something, then my original files are lost. Yes I suppose I could put them on an external hard drive, but when they're on the camera's hard drive it's just about the same thing. .

I copy my videos n photos to 2 external drives (2terabytes storage space).

one portable 2tb drive

and the other

drive
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Desktop-H...eywords=wd+2tb

plus docking (astone brand)
http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Extern...ocking+station

note: be careful using the docking type. cause sometimes the drive will not read and you will think the drive is defective.

so safer to use external drive rather than the docking type
Old 05-09-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I only use the card for stills, and the internal memory for video. Is formatting the internal memory every 6 months or so safe? (or do you mean only for the SD card?)
same here. I don't bother adjusting white balance and other thing. I just shot using automatic. cause I am not professional camcorder user.

I use the sd card for videos and photo. to transfer. I connect the sony camcorder usb. it is much better than Panasonic. and sony camcorder has build in pmb to automatically name folder by date. and I manually transfer photo to different photo directory.

the Panasonic transfer method is by removing the sd card and do manual transfer. so I like sony transfer much better.

i still shot avchd so sony automatically rename the file by datetimeminute. but for sony 4k camcorder name files as c001, coo2.

by the way. I rarely shot photo. I video and use sony vegas to screen capture from video. the photo not as nice but at lease video much better and memorable.

Last edited by spyker1212; 05-09-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker1212 View Post
same here. I don't bother adjusting white balance and other thing. I just shot using automatic. cause I am not professional camcorder user.

I use the sd card for videos and photo. to transfer. I connect the sony camcorder usb. it is much better than Panasonic. and sony camcorder has build in pmb to automatically name folder by date. and I manually transfer photo to different photo directory.

the Panasonic transfer method is by removing the sd card and do manual transfer. so I like sony transfer much better.

i still shot avchd so sony automatically rename the file by datetimeminute. but for sony 4k camcorder name files as c001, coo2.

by the way. I rarely shot photo. I video and use sony vegas to screen capture from video. the photo not as nice but at lease video much better and memorable.
I don't have a 4K camcorder yet....I'm still enjoying the Sony PJ760 which I only bought last year, second hand in great condition.
Me too, I'm not professional, but my father was,...so I am a bit fussy how colour looks.

You don't use internal memory?

My PanasonicTM900 had usb transfer.. via HD Writer, it was quite easy, actually easier than sony play memories.

I like Cyberlink PowerDirector for my editing. It's very very good. I haven't tried Sony Vegas yet. Maybe I should.
thanks so much for your insight. Very helpful.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:39 PM

Quote:

My PanasonicTM900 had usb transfer.. via HD Writer, it was quite easy, actually easier than sony play memories.

I don't use the internal memory. right now I use 256gb sd card.

I have Panasonic tm900 and never use the hd writer. cause I m kind of old fashion. don't want software installed in windows computer. the do transfer by removing the sd card.

the sony camcorder cames pmb build in so you dont' need install into computer. just plug the sony camcorder's usb into computer and select the 'menu', 'setup', 'media select'. and select 'memory card' and do manual copy to computer folder via date.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:19 PM

[QUOTE=jaymays;43913090]

QUOTE]

advantage of using sd card is if you accidently format the memory or delete a photo from camcorder menu. you can remove the sd card n recover the files using computer recovery tools

Last edited by spyker1212; 05-11-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement