Originally Posted by wonderweiss
Hi everyone. My first post here! I'm in the market and looking at the PJ760 mainly because it has a viewfinder (dont care if its not that great, as long as there's one), and the larger 96gb internal flash memory.
I almost got the PJ760 - precisely for the larger memory and eyepiece. But in real world use I have found the built in 32 GB plus an extra 32GB memory card on the PJ710 can hold a lot of HD video. I once ran out of space on my 32GB memory card because I forgot to delete the previous days videos. I just switched over to the empty built in memory and kept on filming.
I do miss having an eyepiece though at times, but since I will be using a C-Loop holder for smoother and more interesting shot angles then I won't be able to use the eyepiece since it blocks the rear of the camcorder. Right now I am so used to the fold out screen and twisting it all over to get the proper perspective it has become second nature.
Now that the new model PJ790 is released though- if I was in the market for a new camcorder, I would wait a bit to get the PJ760 on sale for a cheaper price.
Originally Posted by wonderweiss
I have a couple questions about it and hope anyone who knows can answer.
1. I'm currently working overseas in asia (korea). If I buy the PJ760 here, can I take it back home to Canada without any problems in terms of power/charging issues? I just use a adapter plug converter right? I think its the same 110/220V?
2. Is there a way to turn off the built-in GPS? I don't intend to track and log the whereabouts of my videos and I don't want anything or anyone tracking me also. I just get paranoid that someone or something could hijack my videos via GPS/wifi or whatever and scoop them all up in the clouds.
Thanks everyone....I was going to get the Canon HF G20 coming out in February 2013, but they don't have 60p still and I heard the image stabilization on Sony is a lot better too.
Oh, I just remember another question. Does the PJ760/CX760 have a different optional lens hood available anywhere (ie. ebay) that doesn't have a hole for the flash? I don't intend to use flash much either and the lens hood that comes with the PJ760 is awfully BIG due to the room it needed to make for the flash hole. Most lens hoods are just for the lens of the camcorder. I don't like the oversized shape of the lens hood and looks too wacky (reminds me of the Pontiac Aztec car). I just want a normal lens hood.
1. The battery charger is universal that came with the NA PJ710 I bought in Canada. It is rated as 100-240V & 50/60hz which is perfect it will do Asia no probs.
I had no issues using it in the Pacific and Europe. Again as long as you get the appropriate adaptors.
Spyker also raises a very good point- you want to make sure you have the appropriate NTSC or PAL / SECAM etc. depending on where you live.
2. Yes there is a setting to turn off the GPS. Located in the Menu / Setup, just scroll down GPS on / off is there.
3. I also at first thought that lens hood was ugly and cumbersome as can be. But now I love the darn thing. I always leave it on the camera no matter what time of day it is or even at night. Why? Because I can't count the amount of times it has saved the front and lens of the camera from getting seriously bashed to heck and gone!
I got a cheapo sturdy shoulder strap. I just throw the camcorder over my neck and one arm through the shoulder strap and away I go. I am no longer as paranoid the camera will get banged up because that big honkin lens hood always swings around and gets smacked first.
I have had it slam so hard against metal objects like gates / poles with such a loud cracking sound while flying off, that I swore the camcorder was busted.
But every time it was saved. (Yes I am hard on my equipment