Video Editor / Converter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-14-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there, I have video from JVC camcorder (.MOD files), my canon camera (.mp4 files) and my mobile (.mp4 files).

i like to create / edit videos for viewing on TV, and for upload, and TGRaw or something for DVD.

however recently i have been having problems with AVS, where converting video to youtube for example just cuts of the sound after 30 seconds or so. The original file is fine, however even playing the original file in AVS cuts out, whereas in VLC it's fine. This only started recently.

I tried out movavi, this works, however, the sound and video are out of sync, by about 1 second. so i don't want to pay for that.

just what do people use for a reliable software to convert and edit video (including titles and transitions)

I am on windows FWIW, however do have a mac-mini if the only good solutions are on there.

many thanks in advance.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-14-2012, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I use Premiere Elements as well as quite a few other people here and abroad . It will work just about anything you want to do including it will upload for you . You can get it for $79.00 from Adobe but you may find it cheaper elsewhere but Adobe does not always honor some places that sell it for warranties . I bought the PSE and Premiere Element package . Just depends your needs . You can download the trial for 30-day use before you buy to see if you like it .

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere-elements.html
post #3 of 12 Old 09-14-2012, 02:23 PM

Liked: 20
The best free video and also audio converter I have found is from Freemake: http://www.freemake.com/

For video editing there are also free alternatives out there, but I find an actual full featured paid program is better for my needs.

I bought and tried Corel's Videostudio Pro X4 and was disappointed- did not find it to be very intuitive since I am a beginner to video editing.
I then d/l the trial version of Cyberlink's Power Director 10 and instantly connected with this program. Incredibly powerful, full featured and it is a 64 bit program that also uses the GPU to accelerate and speed up video processing. So I bought Power Director and started using that instead: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/overview_en_US.html?&r=1

Lots of free online plugins and tutorials and the price point is very similar across all "entry" level video editing prgms- around US$69-80+

I have also heard good things about Sony Vegas, but the best thing to do is as suggested:, download the free trial versions and see what suites your needs.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-15-2012, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I concur with what RobAC said about trying the free trials of any editing program. Each program has its own unique strengths and flaws, so by using the free trials, you can discover them for yourself and see which you can live with.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-15-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 100
After several decades as a photographer, I decided to learn video. That was two years ago. I screwed around with 6 different editing programs and wasted a lot of time - months of it. Then I decided to pick one and stay focused on it. I picked Premier Elements 10. And, now that I understand it a little, I like it a lot. It gives you tools to control everything. The tools are useless until you discover what they are, where they are and how to use them.

Downloading a trial and randomly wading through it is very inefficient. You may not even find some of the best tools, let alone figure out how to use them. Downloading all the trials and wading through them would leave me in a muddle. (Come to think of it, that's what I did!)

Premier Elements is mainstream enough that there are lots of training choices to flatten the learning curve. My two favorites are lynda.com and video2brain. Lynda.com is online and video2brain is on a DVD and you can buy it from Amazon.

Lynda.com Premier Elements Essential Training Try the free samples.

Video2Brain Premier Elements at Amazon

I liked the training so much that I decided to learn Photoshop Elements too. The current version is as amazing as Premier Elements. Part of the fun is using them together to weave photos in with videos. This week I started on learning Adobe Lightroom 4. Adobe has added video tools to Lightroom!

Bill
post #6 of 12 Old 09-15-2012, 12:11 PM

Liked: 11
VegasPro and Sony Movie Studio (vr. 12) are very powerful 64 Bit, GPU empowered editors that are well reguarded in the industry. Download the Movie Studio Trial also and use it. Lots of free instructional videos on Youtube. Indeed CS6 Photoshop does have powerful editing tools but not the FX plugins that make NLE's so powerful in a friendly way. If you have Photoshop (not elements) I'd try that first.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-16-2012, 01:35 PM

Liked: 20
To be fair- I think Dave, the OP of this thread is more of a hobbyist, especially from the programs he has listed.
I at one time or the other have tried those programs.

All the programs listed the users here have their plus and minuses as well learning curves.

I usually break things down as follows when getting into any new interest or else expanding what I already know
Intent - what do you want to do
Experience - hobbyists, serious hobbyist, semi-pro and pro
Budget- self explanatory.

For the Pro who makes a living from this technology software and hardware combined- you have a lot of money, time and effort invested .
You have your chosen ecosystem and know the pros and cons inside and out. Switching to some other program or new technology is only warranted if you get a good return on investment. In otherwords, pays for itself in the short or long term.

For the Hobbyist- they are more flexible and willing to adapt and change according to their evolving experience over time. The switch to serious hobbyist can happen anytime and when you start earning money from your hobby, then you move on to the next level.

Nothing wrong with either approach.
Just depends on the time, money and effort one is wiling to put into it.

Rob
PS- I consider myself a serious hobbyist who is always learning.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-17-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies.

I am a serious hobbiest, and a computer enthusiast (in that I am a developer).

I am also willing to pay for something that makes life easier long run.

I take about 10 home videos a month, and like to edit them together so i have a few well produced ones, rather than a lot of rubbish ones. Also with smart phone HD video i find a lot of times i want to quickly capture something and put on facebook / youtube.

I have been using AVS, which is paid for, for a long time, and found it really good. video editing is nice, converting is easy, batch conversion etc... it's just that it seems to cut off my mobile device HD video audio after a 30 seconds...

So, i tried premier as a well regarded creative software firm, (have been using photoshop 7 for years now).

All ok on my laptop, although it could not handle AVI files from an old canon camera (Canon MVI01), and produced very dodgy output of my JVC files. a lot of investigation later, and i realise the difference between frame aspect, and pixel aspect, manually told PE10 that my files are 16:9 720x576 (took a while to figure out how the hell that maths worked....) and now it looks good.

however very slow on laptop and no conversion that i could see, (really would like batch).

i then installed on my main PC in my home office, which has more grunt, however it will not launch at all! there is a thread here on adobe site trying to get it sorted

I did notice also on the laptop version now I have gone back to that whilst i wait for a solution that:

1. transition "fade" is not there, and "dip to black" which i would guess is the same, starts with a still of the next video. looks like transition is OUT and not IN to the next scene, however perhaps just my learning curve...

2. the mp4 file i copied from my phone STILL has audio sync problem when played just using preview! same as MOVAVI. this plays fine in windows media player, and in VLC, however even when just double clicking and previewing in APrE10 it is out of sync. so that does not solve my problem.

Either there is something wrong with my file (but it works in vlc/wmp), or both movav and APrE10 (seems unlikely), or some other problem, like codecs?

just really frustrating, i have a couple of clips from holiday on phone I wanted to share on youtube and i just cannot do it without uploading non-edited from the phone...

in any case until PE10 works in windows, i will move on to evaluate the next one. Sony Vegas i think, as i have cyberlink stuff bundled with my optical drives and it is always slow and bloated (the software that came with my blueray player would not play bluerays until i upgraded to the full "pro package" which would have put my £40 br player price up to about £200 !! what a rip off. (anyway, off topic), thanks for the help so far, appreciate it, and if you have any thoughts on my problems with mobile phone content, please let me know. (it's a samsung Gax 2)

Thanks

Dave
post #9 of 12 Old 09-17-2012, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
PSE 10 DOES work with Windows . I have OS7 and it works fine . Are you having trouble finding it for Windows ??

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere-elements/tech-specs.html
post #10 of 12 Old 09-17-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I meant "until it works in windows _for me_". I am sure it does work, it's just that I cannot launch it. The organizer launches fine, however not the video editor.

Thanks,

Dave
post #11 of 12 Old 09-19-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, looks like freemake is great for converting the files, does a really good job and nice looking software.

That means i can convert the files that had audio problems, and then continue to use AVS for editing, which seems to have everything premiere has, but works...

thanks so much for the help, and I am also for more au fait with what other tools are out there.

F: sony vegas did not work either, I think both that and Premiere did not like that i have two graphics cards running 5 monitors.

AVS has no problems with this.

Cheers!

Dave
post #12 of 12 Old 03-29-2013, 08:15 PM

i use AppGeeker MOD MP4 Converter, it can convert/edit basically any type of video file.

Converts everything into everything. Customizable file size or quality, features to add chapters and subs, user friendly GUI, easy to handle while offering lots of options to the advanced user.
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page