Recommended video editing laptop within a budget. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 09-16-2012, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
First, I hope I can get some sort of advice from this forum since I could not find a specific forum for video editing here.

I have a lot of hours of AVI and AVCHD MTS fotage of the family and I really need to do some basic editing so I can turn those single files into "Home Movies" and enjoy them. I'm leaning towards a laptop because when I do have time to work on those projects it will probably be on the go.

I know Mac is the industry leader, but spending $1,300 on a 13" Macbook Pro is overkill for my needs and budget.

I have seen some interesting ASUS, HP, etc models with the same or better hardware for 1/3 the price but I wonder if they'll be able to handle the editing without freezing on my.

I'd like something with enough CPU, graphics, 15" max, thin enough to let me travel with it and no more than $600.

More specifically I found this Refunbished ASUS model and I'm wondering if it will work.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3734877&Sku=F12-156303&cm_re=Homepage-_-Spot%2001a-_-CatId_17_F12-156303

Thoughts? rolleyes.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-16-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I have used several NLEs on my laptop including Panasonic's HD Writer, Sony's PMB, Sony's home version of Vegas and (my favorite) Adobe Premier Elements 10.

My laptop is about two years old. It is a Toshiba Satellite with an i5 processor, a 13 inch screen, 5200 RPM HDD, 8 gigs of memory and no graphics card. It seems similar to the one you picked out. When it was new, it was about $600.

Editing works OK for short videos -- even ones where I put in some complicated transitions or effects. But, I want faster. And, because I think I want to improve my skills with some of the Adobe CS6 tools, I may need more horsepower. I do want a laptop because I travel a lot in a motorhome.

My dream laptop would have:
17" screen
i7 Intel Processor
Nvidia Graphics Card
64 bit operating system
16 gigs of RAM
7200 RPM HDD
a SSD
USB 3.0 ports for external HDDs

ASUS calles them "gamers" and puts bright paint on them. HP calls them "laptop workstations". Apple calls them "MacBook Pros".

I think you may be mistaken about Mac being the industry leader. It only leads where editors are addicted to Final Cut Pro. Adobe seems to be gaining market share with their CS6 software and it works equally well on both Mac and Windows software. Adobe makes a point out of treating the two operating systems equally. In fact, most of the "pro" studio set ups I've read about start with a tower that has the stuff on my laptop list with room for more HDDs and two or three monitors.

Bill
post #3 of 24 Old 09-16-2012, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I briefly had a look at the specs of that ASUS laptop you are contemplating.
6 GBs of RAM good- never have enough.
Intel Core i5 - good
750GB HD - very good, again never have enough HD space for video work.

However It states "integrated graphics."

Is it the Intel HD 3000 or latest HD4000 gpu chip? I couldn't find the info.
Or is it the lower Intel 945 or upgraded variation?

Regardless- Just expect to leave the laptop running a bit longer in order for whatever editing prgm you use to finish its' job.
Since it is a budget laptop this is to be expected and not a failing- just the nature of the technology as I am sure you are aware.

(My other laptop is an ASUS G50V series "gaming" laptop that I have used for the past 4yrs producing desktop publishing magazines that I take a professional printer, as well as editing pictures and use for business. However the price point of those machines maxed out like mine at the time, is in the $2k+ range.) I have since turned it into a dedicated Media server hooked up to the telly. Oh yeah, playing games on the big screen with surround sound explosions rattling the windows is always smile inducing.)

Anyway I digress- back on topic:

Whatever you get, just use it. Modern laptops are quite capable and since it's a Win 7 machine you can tweak things a bit to get a bit more performance out of it later on.
SSD prices are falling and that will definitely give it a performance boost when your budget allows.
post #4 of 24 Old 09-16-2012, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks.

I did some editing using Corel Video Studio X4 of our home videos on a PC with a Quad Core 2.3Ghz with 4GB of DDR2 Ram and I had to make sure to save the project every few minutes just in case it froze.

I see I should focus on making sure the laptop has a dedicated graphics card, plenty of RAM, and a good processor (i5 or better). That being said I'm a little confused since I see PC models with those specs within a price range of $600-$900 but then I see a basic 13" Macbook Pro starts at double that price range and some of the specs are lower, what gives? What makes Macs run better (if they do) when it seems they have the same or less harware? Is the OS that much better for editing?

I have to admit, the portability of a Macbook is really attractive. Most other PC laptops seem so much thicker eek.gif
post #5 of 24 Old 09-16-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I spent a few minutes in a Mac store today. It was scary. The salesman, or resident Mac wizard, said buying a Mac "would change my life".

I tried to configure a 15 inch retina display MBP to about the same as as an Asus from B&H..

See: http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC976LL/A
and http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/855850-REG/ASUS_G75VW_DS72_Republic_of_Gamers_G75VW_DS72.html

The the Asus G75VW-DS72 has a little slower CPU and the SSD is 256GB. The MBP has a slower HDD, but a 512GB SSD. Both configured with 16GB of RAM. The MBP retina display is sharper where software supports it. The GW77 is a 17 inch display.

MBP is $3078 (+ about $300 in sales tax where I live).

The G75VW-DS72 is $1879 (and shipped from New York with out sales tax to where I live).

For me, the difference of about $1500 could buy some camera toys!

Once Premier, Photoshop or other editors are running, I suspect the work experience would be about the same.

I've recently spent some time learning Premier Elements 10. There are some functions and features in PrE10 that don't work on a Mac that do work on a PC. I don't know if that is true with the pro versions of Adobe software.

Bill
post #6 of 24 Old 09-16-2012, 08:46 PM

I will choose G75VW-DS72 because of the configuration of this Laptop is really enough for video editing, no matter the CPU, RAM or graphic card.
post #7 of 24 Old 09-17-2012, 12:36 PM

Bill,

The G75 is a good all rounder. The larger form factor 17" screen is a good desktop replacement.
Not as portable as the 15" but if you are not going to be moving it often then the screen size is good.

However, I would be very picky about the type of screen I get- look for something like "Full HD LED backlight 90 - 95% NTSC Color Gamut" (Do a search for the topic for more info.)
This should give you much better colour reproduction when doing your video / picture work. (Notice how the colours fade and change when you move from side to side or up and down while looking at the laptop screen? Not good when doing very detailed work that requires accuracy. You need a good screen that will lessen this as well as give better contrast.)

For reference Check this site- http://www.gentechpc.com/index.asp
Check out the other brands like MSI and Sager / Clevo. These are some of the the latest greatest when it comes to "gaming" all rounder laptops ranging in size from 11" up to 18" However just disregard this for a moment and have a look at the NTSC Color Gamut options for the screens. Worth the extra $ to get in my opinion. These laptops have the option of adding more RAM and two to three internal hard drives for extra capacity. The ASUS also allows 2 hard drives if I am not mistaken. My smaller 15.6" one has two hds in it plus a r/w dvd drive.)

Also I prefer a matte screen since I move in all different types of light, direct sunlight etc. But if you are mainly indoors in a controlled lighting environment then the glossy will do- provided no light is pointed directly or off to the side of the screen. The reflections can be very distracting and detrimental to colour accuracy.

Personally I prefer the the 15" and 12.5 - 13" smaller form factor for their portability. I can then hook them up to a really good external monitor via the displayport or HDMI out. I also use a good fullsize external mechanical key board and mouse. Again this adds to the cost so plan accordingly.

Rob
post #8 of 24 Old 09-17-2012, 01:20 PM

Miami Guy,

Ignore most of what I just told Bill smile.gif

Here is the reason why- you need to focus on how much your budget will get you. So compromises will have to be made.
Which is not a failing or as detrimental as you would think.

Regarding the Mac vs PC debate-

The Mac is a very capable machine with a good proven track record in multi-media work. However this comes at a premium.
The costs have gotten much better as of late and narrowed compared to the PC equivalent- but in general still more expensive.

Either Mac or PC can do the work you throw at them. It depends on which platform you decide to go with.

Since you are already familiar with the PC then I would stick with that for now and move on from there. Remember there is going to be added costs when you switch to another platform as well as a bit of a learning curve. You will have to buy all new software. So stick with what you know for now until budget allows you otherwise. Don't get caught up in the hype as to which platform is better- it's all marketing and personal bias coming into play. Especially if you talk to a salesman whose job it is to sell you a product.

A dedicated graphics card does indeed help. Have you tried also searching sites like Newegg, Amazon, NCIX ? Even Bestbuy for their budget lines.
The model you listed has UMA graphics which is not bad- it is an upgraded Intel chip. As I said, modern laptops are much better than past offerings and I would not worry too much about it. Just get what you can and start using it. (Also they are not that thick or heavy- most are less than 1 1/2" in height so very portable.)

Also be aware if you purchase a new budget laptop in the next few months you can sign up to Microsoft and get Windows 8 for a discount $14.99 when that comes out. It will speed up the PC- and if you don't like the new Metro start page interface you can download a couple free utils that can bypass it and give you back the desktop that you are used to. (Stardock Start8 and Classicshell from Sourcedforge.) So verify you can register for the MS discount for the new Win8 OS if you get a refurbished laptop. I don't see an issue- but just make sure.

Let me know if I can confuse you anymore- I mean help you with the confusion anymore.

Rob
post #9 of 24 Old 09-17-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks guys.

The Asus G75-VW seems awesome, but much more than I want to spend, more than I need and bigger/hevier than I want even if it was within my budget. But I appreciate the help since now I know a little more about what to look for. I'm still a little worried that I'll be buying too little hardware and the very basic editing I do wont run smoothly, but I'll continue to read.

Keep it coming, I'm learning a good bit.

wink.gif
post #10 of 24 Old 09-19-2012, 07:24 PM

Liked: 10
Miami guy,

Just a few thoughts...

I have found HD editing to be very taxing on any computer.
You might want to consider the following:
1. HD video files can take an extreme amount of hard drive space. This means you will probably need quite a large hard drive to store your precious family footage on. Also, as unfortunate experience has taught me, you will want to have some method of backup. For myself, my home videos have required 1TB hard drives in RAID 1 config (for mirroring) and an external harddrive for backup. It is hard to get a laptop with such a large capacity and you will not get RAID (which is arguably not necessary, however, I am so leery of dealing with hard drive failures (they WILL eventually happen) and losing thousands of pictures and hours of video.)

2. Editing HD video files demands a fast processor and a decent video card. It is harder to get either with a laptop.
For these reasons, I would suggest you consider getting or building a desktop PC.

FYI. I had a desktop PC with an AMD Quad Core 3.4 chip and found it too slow and crashing with Vegas Pro. I upgraded my processor to an i7 2700k and halved my editing rendering times (which to me were annoyingly slow). I shudder to think what editing on a laptop would be like.

If you really think a laptop is the way to go, I would purchase an i5 or preferablly an i7 chip with the highest speed you can afford.
Don't ignore redundancy and backups, it will be a tragic day when your hard drive fails - it can be the equivalent of a house fire and is much more likely.
post #11 of 24 Old 09-19-2012, 07:26 PM

Miami guy,

Just a few thoughts...

1. HD video files can take an extreme amount of hard drive space. This means you will probably need quite a large hard drive to store your precious family footage on. Also, as unfortunate experience has taught me, you will want to have some method of backup. For myself, my home videos have required 1TB hard drives in RAID 1 config (for mirroring) and an external harddrive for backup. It is hard to get a laptop with such a large capacity and you will not get RAID (which is arguably not necessary, however, I am so leery of dealing with hard drive failures (they WILL eventually happen) and losing thousands of pictures and hours of video.)

2. Editing HD video files demands a fast processor and a decent video card. It is harder to get either with a laptop.
For these reasons, I would suggest you consider getting or building a desktop PC.

FYI. I had a desktop PC with an AMD Quad Core 3.4 chip and found it too slow and crashing with Vegas Pro. I upgraded my processor to an i7 2700k and halved my editing rendering times (which to me were annoyingly slow). I shudder to think what editing on a laptop would be like.

If you really think a laptop is the way to go, I would purchase an i5 or preferablly an i7 chip with the highest speed you can afford.
Don't ignore redundancy and backups, it will be a tragic day when your hard drive fails - it can be the equivalent of a house fire and is much more likely.
post #12 of 24 Old 09-19-2012, 07:27 PM

FYI. I had a desktop PC with an AMD Quad Core 3.4 chip and found it too slow and crashing with Vegas Pro. I upgrade my processor to an i7 2700k and halved my editing rendering times. I shudder to think what editing on a laptop would be like.

Don't ignore redundancy and backups, it will be a tragic day when your hard drive fails - it can be the equivalent of a house fire and much more likely.
post #13 of 24 Old 09-19-2012, 07:33 PM

Also,

You have to determine what video editing package you will be using. If going the PC route you can get by with a basic Sony Vegas package, which in my opinion, is very cost effect for what if offers.

Personally, I would build a decent desktop PC which will last for years, and have the ability to upgrade in the future. Laptops don't offer that flexibility.
post #14 of 24 Old 09-20-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaberttheseal View Post

Personally, I would build a decent desktop PC which will last for years, and have the ability to upgrade in the future. Laptops don't offer that flexibility.
I think it would both be useful and fun to build a PC. But, having had and used PCs since the C> prompt, I have no idea where to start. Can you suggest some resources to learn how to build one, how to choose the parts and where to get them?

Thanks.

Bill
post #15 of 24 Old 09-20-2012, 03:46 PM

Check this excellent resource.

http://lifehacker.com/5828747/how-to-build-a-computer-from-scratch-the-complete-guide

Investing in good components e.g. case, power supply, etc, will be cheaper in the long run as you will be able to upgrade things like the motherboard, processor, and ram.

Personally, I would get something along the following:
Decent big case for plenty of room and noise isolation. Such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129179
A large power supply 700w+
i7 chip, like i7 2700k
8gb to 16gb of Ram
Solid state drive for installing programs and operating system. (This is probably the most noticeable upgrade I have ever done in my life)
(2) 1TB -2TB 7,200 hard drives for data e.g. your videos and pictures. Configure in Raid 1 for mirroring. This means that when you copy something to the drive, it is automatically mirrored at the hardware level so if 1 drive fails, you have the other with the data. However, you probably still need to backup periodically to an external drive as you could have some other event take them both out.
Video Card like this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125418
Internal card reader - to read memory cards
Operating System - Windows 7 64bit (you need 64 bit for over 4GB of ram) personally I wouldn't worry about a new operating system for quite awhile. It typically takes years for bugs and stability issues to be resolved and video editing software can be finicky.

The above setup with O/S monitor and misc stuff like DVD burner should be about $1,500. You could save some, and get lessor components but I wouldn't get cheap on a computer for editing.

If you're curious on how the processor generally effects video rendering times look at
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-2010/Cinebench-11.5-Multi-threaded,2407.html

For example, if you bought a an i7 2700k which would score about a 7 vs a i5 2500 at 5.42 the i7 will be approx 30% faster for rendering then the i5. Obviously the further down the chart, the slower the chips and typically the less expensive. There is always a sweet spot for performance vs price, but I'm at the point in life where price isn't too much of a concern.
post #16 of 24 Old 09-20-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 108
You do know the i7 2700k is an old (second generation) chip? The current line of i7's are in the 3,000k's (third generation, like 3770k)).
post #17 of 24 Old 09-20-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaberttheseal View Post

Check this excellent resource.
Thank you VERY much for you effort. I cut and pasted the whole thing to a Word file so that I can study it a little later. My "problem" is that I'm leaving on a ship that combines San Francisco, the Panama Canal, some jungles in Costa Rica and other places. My plan is to try and wear out a brand new camcorder/camera!

I can work on the computer construction when I get back in three weeks.

Bill
post #18 of 24 Old 09-20-2012, 05:54 PM

Yes, it is an older chip, however 1st, most of the new i7s require socket 2011. The lowest 2011 socket board is $200. A good 1155 board is $90 so you are paying over $100 for the CPU and board combo.

If you look at the new i7s that are socket 1155, they are lower stock frequency, or if the same, more money, and the added benefit of the k series is you can easily overclock them.
post #19 of 24 Old 09-24-2012, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Seaberttheseal,

I realize a desktop gives the most bang for the buck but, like bsprague, the time I would have to edit my home videos would be on the go and not when I'm home, so a laptop is my only option.

I have Corel X4, and would not mind buying X5, on a Quad Core PC and I have seen how it can task the hardware when getting too fancy, but I intend to splice/transition/title home videos so I'm not looking to get too crazy with 5-6 layers of video/sound/effects.

I feel I've learned a lot since I started my search and now I'm focused on a PC laptop no larger than 15", 13" would be better, 1" in thickness, 5 lb in weight for ease of portability (notice I'm describing a MacBook Pro's frame), 3rd generation i5 or i7', 6+ GB of DDR3 RAM, 500+ of HD and a DEDICATED GPU for less than $1,000.

At this point I wonder if I can get away with buying a model with an i5 processor and a dedicated GPU for the level of editing I'll be doing?! rolleyes.gif
post #20 of 24 Old 09-24-2012, 10:17 AM

I don't do tons of video editing, but I do lots of graphics, which has similar requirements.
I bought my laptop last year: Lenovo G770, i5, 17.3" screen. I am absolutely in love with it, got it on Black Friday for $600. It might be worth your while to wait for Black Friday, it's not that far off.
post #21 of 24 Old 09-24-2012, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If I have not bought a laptop by Nov I may just wait until the end of the month and hope to save a significant amount after TG. Considering I travel often for work and find myself with little to do while knowing I have home videos from 2008 to present I need to work on, I doubt I'll wait much longer.

That being said, does anyone know if I can get away with doing my fairly basic editing of my AVCHD MT2 files (720p) with a i5 processor and a 1GB GPU? If I focus on an i5 vs i7 I have many more options in my budget and smaller/lighter choices.
post #22 of 24 Old 09-26-2012, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Any opinions on this model?:

http://mysonyvaio.com/s-series/vaio-test-135.html

Again, i would think its got the horse power for my needs while keeping it lite and portable. I do see that the 13" dont have a mic jack vs the 15" which do, but I dont see myself using it either. rolleyes.gif
post #23 of 24 Old 09-28-2012, 12:25 PM

MG,

(I am in the middle of the of the Pacific Ocean right now - net connection is a bit spotty not to mention expensive! heh.)

Anyway that Sony Vaio looks really good for the price. Especially the Nvidia GPU.

Before my trip I got a 13" Lenovo convertible laptop/tablet X230T with an i7 Intel 3rd generation CPU and a newer Intel HD 4000 GPU.
This works great for portability etc. and suites my needs just fine.

Rob
post #24 of 24 Old 10-05-2012, 10:41 PM

I would just like to mention I am using an Older laptop and I edited some 4-5 hours of video ( about 96 segments ) without much issue.

When this was a new laptop its was a rather high end gaming machine, but I mostly used it for video editing and photo retouching etc

Its a Core Duo p7350 @ 2.0Ghz w/ 4gb of memory running win7 and it has nVidia 9700m GTS video card. Now I wont pretend that it was fast, and when I was adding effects ( most transitions fades and some over lays ) it would make the video stumble a bit until it got everything processed and happy. Render times with slow but I would surf, email and do other basic tasks white it was working through the files.

Now in all honestly I am looking for a new laptop to replace this one at almost 5 years old its showing its age and I am tired if patching thing that die on it.

I am looking at some of the i7 Quad core processors 2.6Ghz Memory depends on what the vendor is charging, if its reasonable I would stuff it with at lest 16gb and if its within budget 32gb, I like screen size what I have now is 17.3 1440x900 and I wouldn't do less than 1920x1080 ( thought I would love a retina quality 17" display if it didn't cost me a kidney and a lung )

I would also suggest a proper built in video card and a machine with dual HD's thought not in a raid.

You don't have to spend gobs of $$ to get some basic editing done. I have been using Windows Movie Maker 2.6 and AVS Video Editor so far with good effect.

-R
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page