Best tripod/mount to record conference session on a cruise ship? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2012, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going to be working a conference being held on a cruise ship, and will be recording audio/video of the conference sessions for CD/DVD production. I'll have several microphones recording audio, along with my Panasonic HDC-TM700K for the video and audience audio feeds.

On our last such cruise, I set up the Panasonic on a basic camcorder tripod. While it seemed stable during during the conference sessions, I noticed in the recordings that the video of the presenters on stage slowly moved up and down in sync with the pitching of the ship. It seemed as though the tripod head wasn't rigid enough, and the camera deflected back and forth ever so slightly as the center-of-gravity shifted while the ship pitched with the waves. Admittedly, the tripod was inexpensive. Thankfully, I was able to edit the footage to compensate for the motion using Adobe Premiere Pro, but the motion tracking/compensation algorithms took forever to run and really slowed down the production process.

What would you recommend for a stable camera set-up that would hold the cameras orientation relative to the stage on-ship regardless of the ship's motion? The camera just needs to be stationary, with no on-the-fly pan/zoom required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Could it be that you left the image stabilization on when tripod mounted? It might have detected ship motion and been trying to compensate.

Other than that, it makes no sense that the tripod would move that much unless you were in a sea where it was rough enough for everyone to be on seasick pills.
cwilso03 likes this.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

That's a really good point. I likely did have the image stabilization on. Hadn't thought about it being the culprit. And I agree, I was surprised by the motion too as the sea wasn't that rough.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I copied this from an excellent e-book on the Sony RX100 from Gary Friedman: "The owner’s manual says that SteadyShot should be turned off when the camera is mounted on a tripod. This is because control systems are inherently imperfect, and if there is no movement to counteract, then the actuators will likely react to some phantom noise coming from the pitch and yaw sensors, and otherwise move the sensor at times when it shouldn’t." Perhaps this applies to the Panasonic HDC-TM700K as well.

Bill
Old 10-18-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Makes perfect sense. And on a cruise ship, as you pointed out, the pitch/yaw sensors are picking up motion, and would try to essentially stabilize to the horizon, not to the ship itself.

-Chris
Old 10-21-2012, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Are you going to provide/sell the DVDs to the cruise attendees?
Old 10-22-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by conanb View Post

Are you going to provide/sell the DVDs to the cruise attendees?
Those registered for the conference (not all on the ship) will get a set, yes.