What microphone to go with Sony Bloggie? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 10-23-2012, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered a Sony Bloggie with 8 GB memory and HD capability. I was wondering what microphone I should get to go with it. I imagine the built in microphone is not so hot.

Has anyone tried the Radio Shack Universal Cassette Recorder Microphone? It's about $14.

I got the Bloggie for $65. I am going to make a U Tube video for under $100. Wish me luck.

Any general info would be helpful. I am using free Microsoft Movie Maker software. If anyone has a link to a tutorial about how to add voice-over to video, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 10-24-2012, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just watched some U Tube videos of Sony Bloggie tests and laughed when one guy looked happy paying $170 for his on sale at Best Buy. I am paying $65 delivered.

I am surprised at how good the sound was on all the videos. I guess I do not need a microphone for video taping, but I do need a mic for voice-over work. I have never done it, but I assume I will be able to plug a mic into my computer and use the Windows software to record onto the video files. I haven’t gotten that far and am just learning the editing software. The camera has not even arrived yet. The only video I ever did was a Super-8 video in the 1970s.

The camera takes amazing close-ups, which will be good for me so I can record pictures and charts in books and even shots off the television news if needed. My video will be a no-budget documentary, …all heavy content and little fluff. I bought a tripod and accessory kit bundle, and I am hoping the tripod head tilts as shown in one of the videos I saw. It was bundled especially for the Bloggie so it would be crazy if it didn't. Otherwise I guess I will have to use rubber bands and masking tape to keep it on the tripod. I am going to try to have the video 95% tripod shot, with no zooming and very little little panning. I will let the subjects move, not the camera.

Comments and advice are welcome.

BTW Do you think Sony’s manufacturing and shipping costs were less than $65? AMAZING!
post #3 of 30 Old 10-24-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Tascam TM-ST1 Mid-Side Stereo Microphone

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/579090-REG/Tascam_TM_ST1_TM_ST1_Mid_Side_Stereo.html

Comes with a desk stand and foam/windscreen. Plugs into the input on your computer's sound card. (Blue colored circle on sound card/ input.)
post #4 of 30 Old 10-24-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Looks like a good mic. I wish you would give me more details. Why is it better that the Radio Shack mic?

Is doing voice-over easy or difficult?

So camera and tripod bundle (case, wires, etc) cost me $95 + $28 for voice-over microphone comes to $123 to make a U Tube movie. Still not bad. Someone made a Sundance award winning film on on a cheap Apple camera, either a cell phone or some other pocket Apple gizmo.

Should I upload to U Tube in 1080p or 720p as my Microsoft Movie Maker software seems to recommend? I will shoot in 1080p at 30, right?

Come on guys, I need help!

The safety of the world depend on me getting this video done right and I am a NOVICE. smile.gif
post #5 of 30 Old 10-24-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks View Post

............Should I upload to U Tube in 1080p or 720p as my Microsoft Movie Maker software seems to recommend? .......... I will shoot in 1080p at 30, right?...........
I have $80 software from Adobe for editing video. It is called Premier Elements and is now in version 11. It is easy to add multiple soundtracks and then control or mix them. I have no idea if WMM can handle multiple tracks with any control.

YouTube re-mashes whatever you upload into what they think plays best. You can upload your 1080p30 files as is, but big files like that can take a lot of time uploading. I prefer to use my software to "optimize" for YouTubes requirements prior to upload.

Bill
post #6 of 30 Old 10-24-2012, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I think the Windows Movie Maker program optimizes for U Tube as well. It has a choice to select what they think is best, and so far that is what I have used. It puts everything in 720P

I bought the microphone suggested. Here is my total movie making budget to date.

All purchased through Amazon.com

"TASCAM TMST1 Condenser Microphone - Cardioid" - $28.26

"Cmple HDMI Cable, 30 feet" - $8.19 smile.gif

Sony Bloggie 8BG 4 hour 1080P 30 $64.95

"All In Accessories Bundle Kit For Sony Bloggie Duo MHS-FS2 Video Camera Includes Deluxe Hard Case + 50" Tripod w/ Case + Flexible Tripod + Mni HDMI Ca" - $26.95

Total cost to me exactly $131.30 total delivered! smile.gifsmile.gif

$8.19 for a 30' HDMI cable is a real deal. This way I can watch my movie on my 52" LG LCD television. Local stores wanted over $100 for a cable that long. I do not understand why the prices vary so much, but the reviews of the cheap cable all looked good.

Anyone have any movie making advice, please let me know. I probably should have posted this link in another forum, because I am really interested in movie making tips in general. My film is going to be about the high cost of food theses days and why it has become so expensive. I will not go into details as to the reasons on this forum.

Any help, tips, anyone has, please share.
post #7 of 30 Old 10-24-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. Looks like a good mic. I wish you would give me more details. Why is it better that the Radio Shack mic?
Is doing voice-over easy or difficult?
So camera and tripod bundle (case, wires, etc) cost me $95 + $28 for voice-over microphone comes to $123 to make a U Tube movie. Still not bad. Someone made a Sundance award winning film on on a cheap Apple camera, either a cell phone or some other pocket Apple gizmo.
Should I upload to U Tube in 1080p or 720p as my Microsoft Movie Maker software seems to recommend? I will shoot in 1080p at 30, right?
Come on guys, I need help!
The safety of the world depend on me getting this video done right and I am a NOVICE. smile.gif

I suggested that Tascam, as I assumed you wanted something cheap, but decent. It is a powered microphone, it takes one AA battery - which is included and lasts a very long time before having to replace it, (just make sure it is off/when not in use or removed). It comes with a heavy desktop stand and a mic clip.

You can angle it up towards you on the desk without holding it. (Note: to open the battery compartment you unscrew the handle in one direction - not the very bottom piece near the cable.) It has a 90 degree (tighter pickup range) and 120 degree angle (broader pickup range).

I actually have this Tascam mic and it is decent for the price and it's a good brand. The Radio Shack mic is not powered and will give you more of a tin can sound circa 1975 sound/avoid. Of course, there are better microphones for more money - but if want to keep it low-budget, the Tascam is a good deal.

Regarding YouTube, always record video in the highest quality setting on your camcorder and upload the highest resolution (1080p).
If using editing software; rendering to a high bitrate will also help. The way YouTube is setup, it plays 360 or 480 by default. So when you have a higher quality original, the lower quality in the YT will actually look better. Of course having 1080p HD as a player option is beneficial also.

EDIT: Apparently we were both typing our posts at the same time so I just left all the info.
post #8 of 30 Old 10-24-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

On the review of the camera from Blunty in London at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=z357bQ81_p8

it shows samples of the Bloggies at 1080p at 30 and 720p at 60. I kind of like the 720p at 60. Should I stick with 1080p at 30 instead of 720p at 60? What speed are U Tube videos?

BTW Does anyone know how much this camera cost when in first came out with 8GB memory and 1080p format? I am guessing over $200. Is that correct?

A local discount store in my town sells the 4 GB version for $129. They usually sell their TVs for less than Internet prices (Video Only) so I am surprised they charge so much for these little nickel and dime items.
post #9 of 30 Old 10-24-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

If you think 720/60p looks better than go with that - they're your videos.

This is the price history of that Sony camcorder:
http://www.nextag.com/SONY-MHS-TS20B-Bloggie-780065990/price-history-html?nxtg=4490a500513-936B794667A0DA99
post #10 of 30 Old 10-24-2012, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I finally found this old article which says the original MSRP was $299, so I am paying 22% of original retail price. NOT BAD!

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/digital_video/sony/bloggie_touch_mhs-ts20/369472

Maybe their next model will do 1080p at 60.

I love editing this stuff. I already have a one minute public service announcement up on U Tube I made from public domain material I already have. Looks great. After a few months of working with this software and camera I should be able to do some really good work. Right now I am in the first grade or even kindergarten. I should have had this equipment when I was 18. I have wanted all my life to be a film maker but could never afford it. Now it is so cheap, how can I resist?

Does anyone out there remember the cost of editing, processing, and playing Super 8 movies? UGH! 16mm was prohibitive unless it was your profession.
post #11 of 30 Old 10-26-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got my Sony Bloggie in the mail today. It is only 2” by 4” by ½”.

I uploaded my first video even before the camera arrived. I love Windows Movie Maker software.

You can see my camera-free video it at - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-juONGC_Qg&feature=youtu.be

I think it is pretty good for someone with only about 5 hours of experience in video.
post #12 of 30 Old 10-26-2012, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I got my Sony Bloggie in the mail today. It is only 2” by 4” by ½”.
I uploaded my first video even before the camera arrived. I love Windows Movie Maker software.
You can see my camera-free video it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo197Jd9qdI
I think it is pretty good for someone with only about 5 hours of experience in video.

the youtube link above is titled BIOFUELS crime against humanity and it's all in still photos. are you sure its the correct link?
post #13 of 30 Old 10-26-2012, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker1212 View Post

the youtube link above is titled BIOFUELS crime against humanity and it's all in still photos. are you sure its the correct link?

Although he has 2700 posts and been around AVS since 2004, he may have a personal agenda beyond the usual theme of how to use consumer video equipment to make quality video.

He wrote "You can see my camera-free video it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo197Jd9qdI", "I love Windows Movie Maker software." and "my first video even before the camera arrived". Earlier he wrote "The safety of the world depend on me getting this video done right...."

He may have discovered you can put stills together, make a slide show.and post it on the internet. Who knows? He may find a way to change minds.
post #14 of 30 Old 10-26-2012, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just got the camera today. I am learning Windows Movie Maker software. My microphone and tripod have not arrived yet, so it will be awhile before I can put together my own video from a camera.

Yes, that is my video made from still photos. I will be doing interviews and scenes of farmland in the next one. That is why I bought the camera. I am NOT going to make the same mistakes most other home videos have. Some people think a video camera is a volley ball the way they handle it.
post #15 of 30 Old 10-27-2012, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am disappointed that the screen icons on the Bloggie are so tiny. I thought a touch screen would be easy to use. It is built for midget elves with perfect vision. I would have preferred if they just kept the camera simple and let you do all your computer programming in your home computer which you plug into the Bloggie.

It will take me a few days of eye strain to get use to it and learn its tricks. I was surprised, however, at the very good low light capabilities of the camera and the steadiness of the picture when hand held.

I put up another video on You Tube, this one with actual moving video, but not taken by me. I just edited some public domain stuff. It's a 30 second TV spot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXME6LmA1lU

Is there a rugged, low cost video camera out there that does 1080p, has easy to use large controls, and NO touch screen?

Are the DSLRs any easier to use?

What is the cheapest video DSLR I could get? The Bloggie just has too many features. They should have kept it simpler and added a microphone input.
post #16 of 30 Old 10-27-2012, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I put up another video on You Tube, this one with actual moving video, but not taken by me. I just edited some public domain stuff. It's a 30 second TV spot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKr-HQJs_5Y&feature=youtu.be
Is there a rugged, low cost video camera out there that does 1080p, has easy to use large controls, and NO touch screen?
Are the DSLRs any easier to use? .

watching the above video is like watching foreign movie with subtitle. my eyes tries to read the text and at same time watch the moving pictures. maybe a better solution is to make the animal talk so concentration will be on the entire video.

i have a nikon d300s. if you want to make movie production dslr is a good choice. but if you want to make home videos for every family member to enjoy then camcorder is better choice.

i was looking to purchase sony bloogie before the sony gw77 came out. problem with bloogie it has limited zoom (only digital zoom). and it does not take 32gb memory.

look no futher. if you can afford. get a sony gw77 it's a powerful mid range camcorder, and it's pocketable like bloogie plus many more.
post #17 of 30 Old 10-27-2012, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yea, the first segment with the animals is rushed, but I wanted a 30 second limit and I do not have a camera yet to do my own video. Well, I have the Bloggie, but I hate the touch screen.

The Nikon you suggested is about $700 isn't it?

Is there a $400 or less camcorder or DSLR type camera that does the following.

1) 1080P at 30p for at least 20 minutes per segment potential.

2) Good sound with external microphone jack. Headphone jack preferred but not a deal breaker.

3) Rugged, simple construction with big knobs and dials, etc. I HATE tiny little parts and switches.

4) I do not care about still quality, so I do not need a fancy sensor. I do want HIGH CONTRAST.

5) I want it to be as BIG and rugged as possible.

6) It should be as simple to use as possible, and I want the editing to be done on my computer, not on a tiny little touchscreen that I cannot even see.

I use to have a Canon Pilex film camera that was rugged as hell and had a great feel to it. I do not want to feel like I am holding a delicate piece of plastic that will break if I sneeze.

I like the looks of the DSLRs better, but will live with a camcorder. For brands Cannon or Panasonic come to mind as good choices. This is for a 30 minute documentary with interviews. Did I mention I hate touch screens? smile.gif

Suggestions?

I have been looking at videos on You Tube and to get a better picture quality I only found the Panasonic AG-AC7 AVCHD Camcorder test footage to be better. Otherwise after you get it on You Tube none really looked better than the lowly Sony Bloggie. The Panasonic goes for just under a grand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNcEtu6FEqE
post #18 of 30 Old 10-28-2012, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker1212 View Post

watching the above video is like watching foreign movie with subtitle. my eyes tries to read the text and at same time watch the moving pictures. maybe a better solution is to make the animal talk so concentration will be on the entire video..

Well that was a wonderful experience. I took your criticism to heart, and you were right, so I reedited that video to make it cleaner and I had to delete the old version first. When I did that, either I or the You Tube program mistakenly deleted all 3 of my videos. I had to reload all of them and their URLs have changed, so the web history have changed, making it more difficult for people to find them. Oh well.

The 30 second spot you complained about is now here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXME6LmA1lU

My better, 2.5 minute video is here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-juONGC_Qg&feature=youtu.be

This is all a learning process. Again, you were correct about mixing text with animals. It is just too distracting, one from the other.
post #19 of 30 Old 10-28-2012, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yea, the first segment with the animals is rushed, but I wanted a 30 second limit and I do not have a camera yet to do my own video. Well, I have the Bloggie, but I hate the touch screen.
The Nikon you suggested is about $700 isn't it?
Is there a $400 or less camcorder or DSLR type camera that does the following.
1) 1080P at 30p for at least 20 minutes per segment potential.
2) Good sound with external microphone jack. Headphone jack preferred but not a deal breaker.
3) Rugged, simple construction with big knobs and dials, etc. I HATE tiny little parts and switches.
4) I do not care about still quality, so I do not need a fancy sensor. I do want HIGH CONTRAST.
5) I want it to be as BIG and rugged as possible.
6) It should be as simple to use as possible, and I want the editing to be done on my computer, not on a tiny little touchscreen that I cannot even see.
I use to have a Canon Pilex film camera that was rugged as hell and had a great feel to it. I do not want to feel like I am holding a delicate piece of plastic that will break if I sneeze.
I like the looks of the DSLRs better, but will live with a camcorder. For brands Cannon or Panasonic come to mind as good choices. This is for a 30 minute documentary with interviews. Did I mention I hate touch screens? smile.gif

Suggestions?
I have been looking at videos on You Tube and to get a better picture quality I only found the Panasonic AG-AC7 AVCHD Camcorder test footage to be better. Otherwise after you get it on You Tube none really looked better than the lowly Sony Bloggie. The Panasonic goes for just under a grand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNcEtu6FEqE

"Is there a $400 or less camcorder or DSLR type camera that does the following."

No.
post #20 of 30 Old 10-28-2012, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
i.b. - the interchangeable lens Nikon 1 V1 shoots 1080/30p, has a 20 minute clip length limit, and a 3.5mm external mic jack for $447 new, $384 used and $375 refurbished with the 10-30mm kit lens included. Here is the quality of the video it can produce (make sure to watch in 1080p resolution): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqebWbwvIW8

Not as big as your old Canon Pilex, but it has a magnesium (not plastic) body and real knobs and dials instead of a touchscreen.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #21 of 30 Old 10-29-2012, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunerww View Post

i.b. - the interchangeable lens Nikon 1 V1 shoots 1080/30p, has a 20 minute clip length limit, and a 3.5mm external mic jack for $447 new, $384 used and $375 refurbished with the 10-30mm kit lens included. Here is the quality of the video it can produce (make sure to watch in 1080p resolution): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqebWbwvIW8
Not as big as your old Canon Pilex, but it has a magnesium (not plastic) body and real knobs and dials instead of a touchscreen.
Hope this is helpful,
Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

WOW The Nikon footage was much better. Is this the model you are talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-Camera-System-10-30mm/dp/B005OGR3DM%3FSubscriptionId%3D14Y3MT0G2J4Y72K3ZXR2%26tag%3Ddpreviewbuybox-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB005OGR3DM

It says it is the - Nikon 1 V1 10.1 MP HD Digital Camera System with 10-30mm VR 1 NIKKOR Lens (Black)

Is that lens what you would recommend for me? I would probably never but another lens.

How would that compare to the Canon EOS Rebel T3 12.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm IS II Lens and EOS HD Movie Mode (Black)?

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-T3-Digital-18-55mm/dp/B004J3Y9U6/ref=zg_mw_tab_pd_mw_3
post #22 of 30 Old 10-29-2012, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

WOW The Nikon footage was much better. Is this the model you are talking about?
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-Camera-System-10-30mm/dp/B005OGR3DM?tag=battleforthew-20
It says it is the - Nikon 1 V1 10.1 MP HD Digital Camera System with 10-30mm VR 1 NIKKOR Lens (Black)
Is that lens what you would recommend for me? I would probably never but another lens.
How would that compare to the Canon EOS Rebel T3 12.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm IS II Lens and EOS HD Movie Mode (Black)?

i.b. - yes, it is the Nikon 1 V1 10.1MP HD Digital Camera with the 10-30mm Nikkor. The 10-30mm is the lens that comes with the camera, and should be fine for your needs.

The Canon T3 has a larger sensor, has larger knobs and controls, and is bulkier (click on this size comparison) but it doesn't have a microphone jack, shoots 720/30p rather than 1080/30p, and has a 17 minute video clip length limit. That said, here is what it can do in low light: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkO3tgTAPu0

Again, hope that's helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #23 of 30 Old 10-30-2012, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

Tascam TM-ST1 Mid-Side Stereo Microphone
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/579090-REG/Tascam_TM_ST1_TM_ST1_Mid_Side_Stereo.html
Comes with a desk stand and foam/windscreen. Plugs into the input on your computer's sound card. (Blue colored circle on sound card/ input.)

My Tascam microphone arrived yesterday and I hooked it up. The sound quality is excellent but it has so little volume you have to put your mouth right up to it and talk very loudly. Is that the way it is supposed to work? Is my mic defective? Or, is it just meant to be a voice-over mic and not pick up room noise, and thus has low gain. You could never use the mic I got for recording anything at a distance.

What's the deal? I would prefer much more gain. I have the gain level on the computer set at full and it makes not difference.
post #24 of 30 Old 10-30-2012, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunerww View Post

i.b. - yes, it is the Nikon 1 V1 10.1MP HD Digital Camera with the 10-30mm Nikkor. The 10-30mm is the lens that comes with the camera, and should be fine for your needs.
The Canon T3 has a larger sensor, has larger knobs and controls, and is bulkier (click on this size comparison) but it doesn't have a microphone jack, shoots 720/30p rather than 1080/30p, and has a 17 minute video clip length limit. That said, here is what it can do in low light: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkO3tgTAPu0
Again, hope that's helpful,
Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

What is the cheapest model Canon makes that does 1080p at 30 and a mic jack? Do they have one that also has a heaphone jack? Canon has a home video camcorder that has all that, but I prefer the more solid DSLR style and looks, and the picture quality is nice.
post #25 of 30 Old 10-30-2012, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Try panasonic FZ150 or FZ200. They should be sufficient.
Both record up to 1080 60p and at least 29 min clip.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MB6ZX0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
post #26 of 30 Old 10-30-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobk77 View Post

Try panasonic FZ150 or FZ200. They should be sufficient.
Both record up to 1080 60p and at least 29 min clip.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MB6ZX0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Looks like a very nice camera. I will check it out.

I am starting to like the Bloggie and have gotten use to the touch screen. I no longer hate them The problem is it clicks intermittently on the audio track, obviously a digital noise. I am sending it back for a replacement. I tried to call the store I bought it from buy their telephone line is dead, may be the hurricane. They are in NYC.

I also may send back the Tascam mic. It has so little gain I think it is defective. You would have to shout into it to get a decent recording. That cannot be right.
post #27 of 30 Old 10-31-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I found other people have the same clicking sound on their Bloggie cameras.

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YsN0IsaJEw

It may just be that I was putting a finger over the mic holes. I will try a test before returning it.

I just ran a 29 minute Bloggie click test, leaving it on a counter-top running at 1080p and there were no clicks in the playback, except when I was handling it to set it up. As some folks on the Bloggie click thread linked above said, it is usually caused by putting your fingers over the 3 tiny microphone holes on the top of the camera. My tripod arrived today, so I will rarely use it hand held anymore.

I have been converted to touch screens and to the Bloggie, as long as it does not break down. After you get use to the touch screen and realize you are not going to break it, it is convenient. I was put off by the thick instruction manual for the Bloggie, but it is quite easy to use. The picture quality is great for $65 and the stills shot in 9 by 16 at 8MP are nice.

It makes a good second camera you can take anywhere without being noticed. People think it is a cell phone. The picture quality when displayed on my 52" LCD TV is, of course, better than on my computer monitor.
post #28 of 30 Old 11-17-2012, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For anyone interested, my first Bloggie video is on YouTube, titled Doug & Captain. If you like country music and little dogs, check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwLO_o7U3H8

I still cannot get my sound system together. I got a new microphone, a "Pyle-Pro PDMIC58 Professional Moving Coil Dynamic Handheld Microphone" for $12. It looks just like a Sure and may be built in the same factory in China.

I think the problem may be my computer. I can record but the sound is lousy like a cassette recorder with lots of noise and rattles and buzzes. Maybe I am doing something wrong. I need to do voice-over work on my main movie project but am stalled because I cannot get good sound. The mic I use has a 1/4" plug, so I got a adapter. Could that be adding noise? I am using Audacity software for sound capture.

Is it my sound card?

Advice requested. I have not got a clue..

The little mic in my Sony Bloggie works great. Why cannot I get good sound using a good microphone and a computer hard drive as a recorder? I have the recorder set a CD quality sound, the default Windows 7 setting.
post #29 of 30 Old 11-17-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For anyone interested, my first Bloggie video is on YouTube, titled Doug & Captain. If you like country music and little dogs, check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwLO_o7U3H8
I still cannot get my sound system together. I got a new microphone, a "Pyle-Pro PDMIC58 Professional Moving Coil Dynamic Handheld Microphone" for $12. It looks just like a Sure and may be built in the same factory in China.
I think the problem may be my computer. I can record but the sound is lousy like a cassette recorder with lots of noise and rattles and buzzes. Maybe I am doing something wrong. I need to do voice-over work on my main movie project but am stalled because I cannot get good sound. The mic I use has a 1/4" plug, so I got a adapter. Could that be adding noise? I am using Audacity software for sound capture.
Is it my sound card?
Advice requested. I have not got a clue..
The little mic in my Sony Bloggie works great. Why cannot I get good sound using a good microphone and a computer hard drive as a recorder? I have the recorder set a CD quality sound, the default Windows 7 setting.
Nice video!

Somewhere around post 13 I said you might be more serious as a political activist than a vidoegrapher. I apologize.

Your video is proof that this video art form is a lot less about equipment than skill!

Thanks for posting your work.

What did you use for editing software?

I don't know what to suggest about sound. It seems many people say it won't work well until you step up to gear with XLR components that block electrical noise. Some buy sound recorders and put the audio and video together in their computer later.

Bill
post #30 of 30 Old 11-17-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bill,

Thanks.

Fancy recording gear is not in my budget. There must be something wrong with my computer or I am doing something wrong. The process seems simple and other people get good results with lower quality equipment.

PS I decided to buy a USB microphone and bypass my sound card! Hope it works! I see posts where people say you cannot use a regular microphone with computers now days.
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page