Camcorder suggestion for Documentary - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-27-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. New to the forum here.

Im in the process of creating a Documentary and i'm going to need a good camcorder.

I was looking at the Canon XF100 HD Camcorder, but was curious if there was something else that was any better.

It seems to have excellent reviews everywhere i look, but was looking for other suggestions.

Thanks!

-Shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-27-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If you like the size of the XF100 and have the money, then it is the best in class: 50 Mbit/s 4:2:2 on Compact Flash cards, XLR inputs, manual controls, built-in ND filter, decent resolution and sensitivity. The HMC40 is cheaper, higher-res on sensor, but lower bitrate, its sensitivity is also reportedly lower.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi Sintheticstudio and welcome to the forum! The XF100 is a great camera, and people are doing good work with it - but its small sensor produces the "videoish" look seen here: http://vimeo.com/21946135

For a few dollars more, you may want to think about a large sensor, interchangeable lens camcorder like the Panasonic AG-AF100, and a relatively inexpensive power zoom which will give you a more "cinematic" look. Dual card slot uses much less expensive SD cards, and it has a professional HD-SDI out (which the XF100 lacks). Here's a short doc shot with the AF100: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNbyo2k-E6w

Hope that is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #4 of 5 Old 11-07-2012, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies!

About the Panasonic: is there a lens you would suggest i start with it? The link to the amazon page looks like it doesnt have a lens.

Thanks again everyone! Much appreciated!!

-Shane
post #5 of 5 Old 11-10-2012, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you, Shane.

The beauty of interchangeable lens cameras such as the AF100 is their flexibility when it comes to lenses. If you want an all around zoom lens with autofocus that is good in low light, you want the $1200 Panasonic 12-35 constant f2.8. A less expensive alternative zoom is the $620 Panasonic 14-140 f4.0-5.8. Neither of these are power zooms.

If you want wide to telephoto power zoom coverage, you'll need two lenses, the $350 PZ 14-42 f3.5-5.6 and the $310 PZ 45-175 f4.0-5.6.

If you want to save some money, and don't mind manual focus and aperture control, just about any Nikon, classic Canon FD, Pentax, Minolta, Konica, etc. lens will work with an adapter.

Again, hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page