Canon HF-200 for high speed work - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-01-2012, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi All,

I have a need to record some high speed action...it's a manufacturing process that moves at a rate of 1000-2000 units per minute. I would like to be able to record this and then watch it in slow motion to see the accuracy of the process as it moves down the line. I know people in the past have purchased "high speed cameras" to do this and it works great. I'm not technically savy enough to know what this really means, or how it works. My question is...if I used my Canon HF-200...is there a way I could set that camera up to record this high speed action and then play it back in slow motion to see what's happening, or do I need to purchase a "high speed camera?"

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
To get a sharp picture with small motion blur you need a fast shutter speed. The shutter speed can be set if the camera has full MANUAL exposure control or AUTO with Shutter Priority in high speed video mode. The only affordable cameras that I know of were the Casio F1 (2008) , FH20, FH25 and FH100 (2010).

Some information

http://www.kinovea.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?id=435

If anyone has a camera that can set the shutter manually in high speed video mode, please supply the link.

Bottom line - buy a used Casio that can set the shutter speed.

Your process is making 30 items per second or more - that really needs high speed video and some analysis of what is happening in order to estimate the frame rate needed.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels_32 View Post

Hi All,

I have a need to record some high speed action...it's a manufacturing process that moves at a rate of 1000-2000 units per minute. I would like to be able to record this and then watch it in slow motion to see the accuracy of the process as it moves down the line. I know people in the past have purchased "high speed cameras" to do this and it works great. I'm not technically savy enough to know what this really means, or how it works. My question is...if I used my Canon HF-200...is there a way I could set that camera up to record this high speed action and then play it back in slow motion to see what's happening, or do I need to purchase a "high speed camera?"

Thanks!
Do you want to see each and every unit?

You can set up your camcorder to 60 interlaced fields per second (regular 60i mode), then deinterlace* it, resizing each field into a separate frame (called "bob" or "interpolate" depending on NLE you are using), thereby getting 60p video. You need shutter speed 1/60 or faster to get 60 individual images per second.

Or you can set up the camcorder for 30 full frames per second (PF30), you will need shutter speed 1/30 or faster to get 30 individual images per second. No deinterlacing is needed, and your frames will be clean from interlacing, and you will have full 1080 lines of resolution. Although at shutter speed of 1/30-second the image will probably be blurry, you need really fast shutter speed to have clean images. Fast shutter speed requires good illumination.

Now that you know camcorder's image rate and your unit rate you can decide for yourself whether you need a high-speed camera.

---
* Deinterlacing is not needed if you will watch on an interlaced TV and you don't need clean framegrabs.