1080p60 Editing Success! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I started here knowing nothing. During my many months of reading, posting and learning on this forum the subject of editing 1080p60 files has often been a dilemma. The solution for Sony and Panasonic owners was often to rely on the software that came with their cameras. The goal was to have the final video quality as good as the original clips.

Third party NLE software might handle AVCHD 1.0. But, that did not include 1080p60. About a year ago, AVCHD 2.0 included it. Cameras still seemed to remain ahead of software.

For various reasons, including a new camera, I upgraded my editing system. I bought a big, heavy laptop with a large screen, i7 processor, a gob of memory, a graphics card and fast drives. To go with it I upgraded my favorite NLE, Adobe Premier Elements, to the month old version 11.

The new version "officially" supports AVCHD 2.0, including the 1080p60. It also has a new interface that is "clean". Buttons and controls are not as scattered as they used to be. I'm sure other software is catching up with 2.0 as well, but I have no experience with it. One interesting feature of the new version is that the project preset is automatic. It is set when you drop the first clip to the timeline.

Video editing is a nicer experience now!

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This forum seems to have nearly died recently. It is hard to get a discussion about anything going.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I guess you are lucky you got up to speed before the forum has died. ;-)
post #4 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

This forum seems to have nearly died recently. It is hard to get a discussion about anything going.

i visit this forum daily. and enjoy reading your post. but i don't post much because enjoying my poketable take anywhere with you sony gw77 while my bulky sony xr550 stay home.

waiting for next upgrade of gw77 with bigger sensor and longer battery life. and full frame sensor sony xr550.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-03-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

I guess you are lucky you got up to speed before the forum has died. ;-)

Thanks! How do you get to be both "hyper" and a "critic"?

Bill
post #6 of 7 Old 11-03-2012, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker1212 View Post

i visit this forum daily. and enjoy reading your post. but i don't post much because enjoying my poketable take anywhere with you sony gw77 while my bulky sony xr550 stay home.
waiting for next upgrade of gw77 with bigger sensor and longer battery life. and full frame sensor sony xr550.
I came close to buying a gw77 after following that thread.

I started video with a full sized Panasonic SDT750. The same Mark that started the gw77 thread started one awhile back on the Sony HX9V. Not waterproof or rugged, but certainly pocketable and could "go everywhere". I bought one and it has been used a lot. I frequently choose to use it over the larger Panasonic.

So, if I had bought a gw77 it would be the second camera the Mark R talked be into! I couldn't let that happen.

About the same time the gw77 came out, Sony delivered the RX100. It is the same size as the HX9V but it has a larger one inch sensor and Zeiss lens. It gets stellar reviews most places because it takes very high quality photos and can do it in the RAW format. It does do 1080p60.

Since my granddaughters have intense interest in both photo and video, I decided to relearn photography. I started with a Kodak Brownie and finished with two film Nikons in the '70s. When film went out of style I ignored digital photography, except for a couple simple point and shoots for mandatory family pictures. I avoided computer editing.

The photo version of 1080p60 capability and quality is "Camera RAW" and post processing in Adobe Lightroom. It seems to be the current equivalent of shooting 35mm and having my own full darkroom. So I spent my money on the RX100, a new computer and Lightroom! It is an interesting camera that is so full of features that it takes some work learning it. I've considered starting "The Official RX100 Video" thread but haven't made the time commitment. Yet!.

Of course the new computer runs video editing software too. And, it runs so well, it seemed appropriate to start this thread.

So the point of the first post and this thread is that, with current hardware and software, 1080p60 editing is not as difficult or limiting as it has been. Maybe this forum is more about camcorders than software. But you can't get much video with out editing. And, if editing is frustrating, getting much out of a camcorder is limited.

Bill
post #7 of 7 Old 11-05-2012, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In January 2011 I bought PowerDirector 9 to edit 1080p30 files from a Kodak Playsport. Even it was lagging in my 2 core XP - 32 bit 3 yr old computer so this year I wised up and moved editing to my newer gaming computer with a 4 core with Windows 7 - 64 bit and it was like night became day. Recently I got a Panasonic HS900 and found that 1080p60 works fine too. I haven't run into any problems with it. A near top of the line gaming type computer makes editing easy.
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page