prosumer camcorder advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 66 Old 11-03-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am thrilled to find this forum. I have been researching camcorder optionss for several weeks now and have potentially narrowed the list down.

Ideally this is what I want.
1. a fairly small size camcorder. My old one size wise was perfect -
sony tv950
2. ability to do slow zoom either elecgtronically or hopefully manually with a ring
3. ability to do rack focus
4. steady shot the new sony system seems great
5. ability to export to fcp
6. wide angle zoom
7. still photo option
8. fast motion
9. low light
10. 1080p
11. time interval shooting
12. record direct to HD

I am seriously considering Sony nx70u, sony nx30u canon xf 100 (probably too big), jvc hm 150u (have read some concerning reviews)

I know I can't get everything I want. But I will probably keep this camcorder for a long time (still shooting with my TRV-950.

And I am just a hobbyist, but do compete in video contests with screen (dvd) projection.

Thanks so much for any help.

Desperate and need to order th camcorder ASAP for a trip to London in 10 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 11-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisadone View Post

I am thrilled to find this forum. I have been researching camcorder optionss for several weeks now and have potentially narrowed the list down.
Ideally this is what I want.
1. a fairly small size camcorder. My old one size wise was perfect -
sony tv950
2. ability to do slow zoom either elecgtronically or hopefully manually with a ring
3. ability to do rack focus
4. steady shot the new sony system seems great
5. ability to export to fcp
6. wide angle zoom
7. still photo option
8. fast motion
9. low light
10. 1080p
11. time interval shooting
12. record direct to HD
I am seriously considering Sony nx70u, sony nx30u canon xf 100 (probably too big), jvc hm 150u (have read some concerning reviews)
I know I can't get everything I want. But I will probably keep this camcorder for a long time (still shooting with my TRV-950.
And I am just a hobbyist, but do compete in video contests with screen (dvd) projection.
Thanks so much for any help.
Desperate and need to order th camcorder ASAP for a trip to London in 10 days.

Hi lisadone - welcome to the forum! Sadly, The small sensor camcorders on your list would have a hard time with rack focus (because of their deep depth of field) - and their still photos leave much to be desired.

In my view, the perfect camcorder for you would be the new large sensor Sony NEX-EA50 - servo and manual zoom, pro quality audio with XLR inputs, 16MP still photos, superb in low light (especially with fast lenses), 1080p at 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60fps - but you need the camera in 10 days, and the EA50 won't be available for about another week. here is what the EA50 can do (preproduction model): https://vimeo.com/groups/nexvg20/videos/51524757

My second choice for a camera that comes close to meeting your requirements would be the $1798 Sony NEX-VG20. Again, a large sensor interchangeable lens camcorder that takes great 16MP stills, but no power zoom (manual only) and no XLR inputs. It is available now - you should be able to have it delivered before your trip. And it is a very simple camera to learn. Here is what it can do (as the A cam in a short documentary): https://vimeo.com/groups/nexvg20/videos/43708481

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

P.S. - in the course of researching this answer, I saw the first footage from the new Sony NEX-VG900 full frame camcorder, and I have to say I was blown away. See it here: http://www.videomaker.com/video/watch/product-spotlight/748-highlight-footage-from-the-sony-vg900

This camera also takes full frame 24MP stills and has the usual incredible Sony low light performance. You may also want to take a look at the video preview of the VG900 in the last 3 minutes of this Sony A99 review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjEwsnwbwbs

There are limited quantities of the NEX-VG900 available right now for $3300, a little more than you would pay for the $3129 NX70 or the $2999 XF100 - but it may be worth it if you want cinematic shallow depth of field, high quality still images and interchangeable lenses in a camera that is available today.
post #3 of 66 Old 11-03-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Canon XA10.
post #4 of 66 Old 11-04-2012, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so far for the suggestions. Does the canon a10 allow for rack focus?
Unfortunately a great solution the sony vg 30 isn't out in time for the trip. It seems better than the vg20 has motorized zoom which I think would be needed . Even if I had the cash for the vg900 it looks like it is starting to get too big.

I understand about dof etc. With that understanding along with sensor size would any of the models I originally mentioned provide some rack focus? One better than the other?

And size is also important to me. Also could the vg20 etc start to substitute for a dslr for stills? That way perhaps I could only carry that.

Thanks
post #5 of 66 Old 11-04-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Got the NX30 and couldn't be happier. I shoot interviews on the street and audio is very important to me. Great color,great low light and great lens.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #6 of 66 Old 11-04-2012, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

I have been leaning towards this camera love the balance active steady shot. Have you tried to do a rack focus with it?
post #7 of 66 Old 11-05-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisadone View Post

Does the canon a10 allow for rack focus? ... I understand about dof etc. With that understanding along with sensor size would any of the models I originally mentioned provide some rack focus?
It has a sensor larger than on the TRV-950, a manual focus mode and a focus ring. What do you think?
post #8 of 66 Old 11-05-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 124
What do you mean by "rack focus" precisely? Not many of the people contributing here do this.

Do you mean a focus pull, where in the same shot the focus shifts from one point to another by design? or what. If that is what you mean, you can do that using the touch screen as effectivley as a pro with a manual focus camera and a separate focus puller and a tape measure.

And btw, the NX30 has a manual focus and a focus ring too.
post #9 of 66 Old 11-05-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Dear Ungermsn,

Your comment to me vis e-mail is not very nice. Nor is your tone in the answer above. I am asking for advice from users of videocameras and their experiecne. I am not an idiot. I have used my trv 950 constaantly since purchase thank you very much. So I am no ludditte, far from it. It is usually valuable to incorrporate word of mouth experience in making decisions especially whn it is absoolutely impossible for me to actually handle and try out any of the videocameras I am interested in. (these models are not in any stores where I live)

So have you tried rack focus on the A10? Do you mind not having a viewfinder that can tilt upward? How good is the steady shot scenario? as good as the sony 30U? Do you like it's focal lenght? Do you even have a Canon A10U?

Please if you are going to reply to my questions try and be informative in a nice way.See posts by brunnerww and simoli for examples on how to do this.

In all sincereity...
post #10 of 66 Old 11-05-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Ungerman has been here since 2006 and has over 3,000 posts. Part of what makes his posts interesting to read is that he is often caustic and includes some dry wit. He also tends to answer only half way, forcing further research or study. I've learned a lot from him. Ignore him if you find his posts rude.
post #11 of 66 Old 11-05-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Lisadone

I also don't understand what you mean by "rack focus". Could you explain exactly what do you intend to do? My NX30 has auto and manual focus. The manual functions are selected pressing and turning a small wheel in front of the camera. I don't like this method and very often I touch this wheel and something change without my knowledge.This is actually the only flaw I found on this camera.

The 2 most important reasons to consider the Sony NX30, in my opinion:

-It's compact but has the XLR mic. Audio is good.
-The stabilizer is the best you can find. Really good when you can't use a tripod.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #12 of 66 Old 11-05-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

And btw, the NX30 has a manual focus and a focus ring too.

I wish you were right. It does not, just the bloody small wheel on the front. The NX70 has it and can be a better choice, besides being weatherproof.

post #13 of 66 Old 11-05-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

i love dry wit. I love expertise. I do not like insults or treating people badly. I will try and take some posts with a grain of salt and take the good information from it. I appreciate everyone's opinion regarding video cameras (and other video related things). I am trying to learn as much as I can.

So it sounds like the nx30 does not have a manual focus ring. What I mean by rack focus is the same thing as focus pull, where in the same shot an object perhaps close to the camra is in focus and then the focus changes to an object behind the first which wasn't in focue and by the rack focus now is

I just think it is a nice cinematic effect and in proper circumstances could enhance a video.

Still confused. It seems like the more I research the worse it gets. Does anyone have experience with the canon 70U? Is it pretty big?? I'll have to admit thata the balanced steady shot feature in these two sonys is compelling. Does anyone know it the sony vg20 has almost as good steady shot as the nx30 and nc70?. And would the fact that the vg20 does not have a rocker zoom has that significantly bothered anyone?

Thanks again..
post #14 of 66 Old 11-05-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Dear lisadone, if you made your own research prior to asking, did not confuse camera models (A10? A10U?) and asked precisely what you were looking for you would get a better answer.

After looking at the list of features you are considering and the cameras you were looking at I thought that the XA10 would be the best option for you. I still think this way. But you need to be more specific and more consistent in your requirements.

1. The TRV-950 would not be considered "small size" nowadays.
2. What exactly is slow zoom? The high ratio between the ring and the optics?
3. What exactly did you mean by "ability to do rack focus", as I said all cameras with a focus ring can do it.
4. All modern camcorders have image stabilizers, although some of them are really crappy, like on the JVC HM100.
5. What do you mean by "ability to export to fcp"? There are multiple ways to interpret your requirements, you should be more precise. Basically, either the only choice for you is the HM150, or you can choose any modern camcorder.
6. What exactly is "wide angle zoom" for you?
8. What exactly is "fast motion"?
10. What exactly is 1080p? I am not scoffing, I am asking. Do you want 24p or 60p? Do you want 25p/50p considering that you are going to Europe? Again, the HM150 is a "world camera".
12. What do you mean by HD? High Definition or Hard Disk Drive? Modern cameras do not use HDDs by the way, they are predominantly flash-memory based.

DOF depends on sensor size, the larger sensor means shallower DOF. The XA10 has larger sensor than the TRV-950, hence it can achieve shallower DOF. It also has manual focus mode and a focus ring, hence racking focus (selective focus) is totally possible. You do not need to use the camera to figure this out. And if you want to see it in use you could search on YouTube for a hands-on review. Maybe you are looking into a specific feature called "shot transition" on Sony cameras. AFAIK, the XA10 does not have it. Other Canon cameras can return from current set of zoom/focus to pre-stored set, which is similar to Sony's "shot transition". Um, maybe not. Maybe you are asking whether the XA10 is usable enough for manual focusing with the flip-out LCD screen tilted up. It is not as easy as on larger cameras, the screen indeed get in the way, so turning the ring with the left hand is not easy. Switching from auto to manual focus and back was totally inconvenient for me, because the AF/MF button is on the LCD, not on the barrel. I prefer the HMC40 much better in this regard. But the ergonomic disaster of the XA10 does not mean that you can not rack focus on the XA10 - you absolutely can.
post #15 of 66 Old 11-05-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, didn't know this was called "rack focus", thanks. Any camcorder with manual focus can do it, the issue is how easy and how precise it does . Since the NX30 has a very annoying wheel to change focus and located in the worst possible place, I can no longer recommend it if rackfocusing is what you need. Another problem is the fact you can't control more than one manual function at the same time. You set the wheel to do focus, it will not manually control iris, for example. You can do everything manually to the extent you only change one function at the time (iris,speed,focus)

post #16 of 66 Old 11-05-2012, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks evveryone.

Dear Ungermann,

Thank you for such a detailed reply. Originally I had eliminated the Canon a10 because I was not thrilled with the non moveable eyepiece (except for pulling it out a bit). I was also considering the canon 100. So sorry if all of the jargon and names got confusing.

I meant HD to be an external hard drive. I would like 24 p and 60 p. Slow zoom for me would be a very graduated zoom (not quick) sorry don't know how else to describe it) I just found out that FCP X will take in ACHVD, so that shouldn't be an issue anymore. I love the wide angle on the sony 30. so something similar to that.

I know that my trv would not be considered small now, but it was a great size for me. Not sure if I want to go much biggere than that.

Believe it or not I did do alot of reserach before posting. I see that I could of been more precise in terms and defining "wants". note...still learning....So stupid question (although I do not believe there is such a thing) what is the deifference between the A10 and A10U?

Maybe fast motion (speeding up the action) can only be done post production.

Thank you for being so specific regarding the focus etc on the A10.

Now to throw another worm in the can. Anybody have opinio/experience with the nesw Panasonic AC90?
post #17 of 66 Old 11-05-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Rack focus: Don't ignore the touch screen.

You put your finger on the object you want to focus on and the autofocus then focuses on that object - it is *better* than doing it manually.

I have a video demonstrating "focus pull" (and focus tracking) using this technique:

Select 1080p.

The NX30 can do this (it has a focus wheel, not a focus ring - but it has touch focus).

Technology has advanced - manual focus is not the only or even the best way to do "rack focus" anymore.
post #18 of 66 Old 11-05-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

> I meant HD to be an external hard drive.

You can connect external recorders via HDMI to any modern camcorder. You are talking about hi-end uncompressed video here. Do you really need it? If yes, you may want to try other forums where professional equipment is duscussed.

> I would like 24 p and 60 p.

The XA10 cannot do 1080p60, but it can do 720p60. You can find supported recording rates in the specs.

> I love the wide angle on the sony 30. so something similar to that.

You can pull up the specs for exact numbers.

> I know that my trv would not be considered small now, but it was a great size for me. Not sure if I want to go much biggere than that.

I think the XA10 would work for you. Personally I think that it is cumbersome for frequent usage of manual focus, that is why I have the HMC40. On another hand, I haven't used it much in more than a year, so now I am selling it... Ah, well. BTW, I just found out that the XA10 has focus override, that is in AF mode you can turn the ring and it will switch to MF without pressing AF/MF button.

> what is the deifference between the A10 and A10U?

Are you talking about the Canon? There is no A10 neither A10U. It is XA10. Canon does not use "U" for U.S. models, this is what Sony does.

> Maybe fast motion (speeding up the action) can only be done post production.

Speeding up action is easy. Slowing it down is what people are usually after. Slo-mo from 60p to 24p looks pleasantly dreamy. If you need slower then you can try different frame interpolating tools or look for high frame rate cameras, this will cost you more. I don't know of any consumer or prosumer camcorder that shoots faster than 60p with good quality. There are some that shoot 120fps, but image quality is lower than at 60fps.

> Anybody have opinio/experience with the nesw Panasonic AC90?

It is a new camcorder that is just about being put on sale. Few owners yet. Judging by pics and specs it should be awesome, except for sensor size. Should be right on par with your TRV in terms of DOF. Now if it were me, I would add $200 and get the XF100 instead. I would trade 1080p60 for 50 Mbit/s 4:2:2 XDCAM EX.
Quote:

Rack focus: Don't ignore the touch screen. You put your finger on the object you want to focus on and the autofocus then focuses on that object - it is *better* than doing it manually.
Yes, it is better if you have your camera on a tripod, your subject does not move and you have plenty of time. I used to own the Sony HDR-HC1, I bought it specifically for "spot focus" and "shot transition" features. Turned out to be too messy to use in run-and-gun situation. I loved the HC1 for the look, feel, menu organization and these nifty features, but sold it because it was interlaced-only and tape-based. Only when the HMC40 came out I found a reasonable substitute for the HC1, but there is no comparison in style: the HMC40 is dog ugly! The AC90 is much prettier, and the XA10, XF100 are handsome too. The NX30 is... well.. not my cup of tea. Does it at least allow FULL manual exposure, not just priority this or priority that?
post #19 of 66 Old 11-05-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Rack focus by touch screen again

This statement is completely wrong : "Yes, it [touch rack focus] is better if you have your camera on a tripod, your subject does not move and you have plenty of time."

Rack focus by touch screen does *not* need a tripod, precisely because of focus tracking. Look at the video: It was taken *handheld*, and the subjects are *moving*. Did you look at the video? Touch focus pull is not messy, it is quick and easy - just one touch where you want the focus to go (or by messy do you mean fingerprints?)

Try focus pulling *manually* without a tripod and with moving subjects - impossible. Maybe I misinterpreted what you said - were you referring to manual rack focus or touch screen? If manual, then your statament is exactly correct (and I will change my post).
Ungermann likes this.
post #20 of 66 Old 11-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Mark - not commenting on what Ungermann said, but you're right. Rack focus by touchscreen is the future. I won't buy a camera that doesn't have it.

Bill
post #21 of 66 Old 11-05-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rack focus by touch screen does *not* need a tripod, precisely because of focus tracking. Look at the video: It was taken *handheld*, and the subjects are *moving*. Did you look at the video? Touch focus pull is not messy, it is quick and easy - just one touch where you want the focus to go (or by messy do you mean fingerprints?)
No, I did not look at it before, looking now. Indeed, spot focus together with focus tracking works much better now than on the HC1 of yore. No re-focusing either, the HC1 would sometimes make a mistake and the re-focus.
post #22 of 66 Old 11-06-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Great stuff. I had no idea about the touchscreen rack focus capability. So would the feaature be tselective ouchfocus on the screen? Do you know of other cameras that have this?

Sorry Ungermann I meant to say Canon XA10 versus Canon XA10U,

Regarding the record from the videocamera directly to an external HD, I thought that some camcorders highlighted this feature. Perhaps I do not understand what this feature really does, some plaes state that this can be done with certain models without a pc (or I assume alswo a mac). Dreaming?

Ungermann can you explain the difference between and 50 Mbit/4:2:2 XDCamEX and 1080p 60?

OK more comparisons and opinions if any of you have...

Sony HXR-NX 70U, Canon XA10, Panasonic AC90, Canon XF 100HD.

That seems like agood narrowed down listbased on your comments and internet reviews. I have read that the Sony 30U for some people does not handle well in their hands, that it is front heavy.

It is so frustrating to not be able to handle these cameras somewhere, because I think how they feel in my hands would be the deciding factor.

I do have small hands, size 6-7 gloves if that helps.
post #23 of 66 Old 11-06-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

.....Rack focus by touch screen does *not* need a tripod, precisely because of focus tracking. Look at the video: It was taken *handheld*, and the subjects are *moving*. Did you look at the video? Touch focus pull is not messy, it is quick and easy - just one touch where you want the focus to go (or by messy do you mean fingerprints?).......
I would have never thought of that by myself. Thank you for teaching me another lesson Mark!

Bill
post #24 of 66 Old 11-06-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunerww View Post

Mark - not commenting on what Ungermann said, but you're right. Rack focus by touchscreen is the future.
I thought the same. I bought the HC1 because of spot focus and shot transition, although it did not have focus tracking. I owned the Panasonic SD100 which has focus tracking, it did not work for what I envisioned it to work, that is, for tracking my son running around or towards me. It was also losing focus on the face when I was walking towards the camera like they do in TV standups, and when it lost lock on the face it would immediately refocus to the background. The HMC40 has focus tracking, but I haven't used it much, preferred the focus ring as a much faster and easier way to do this.

Focus tracking is awesome while it works, but when it loses subject it starts hunting, and this looks horrible. So, I became disillusioned in this feature. It is good to see that ultimately it starts to look like it promised six years ago. But I am not sure I will be trying it again anytime soon, I am pretty happy with the small Panasonic SD9 paired with the Nikon D3200, which can be realistically used with manual focusing only. Sure, many shots are out of focus, but those that are in focus look lovely: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO6C872T68Y And I am guaranteed that the focus will not drift someplace else if the object goes out of the frame.
post #25 of 66 Old 11-06-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

The Sony HXR-NX 70U is a weather-proofed camera that is more than one generation behind the NX30U - its stabilization is inferior, as is its video quality. The weather-proofing makes it heavier as well.

The new Sony camcorders really stepped up in video quality (across the whole line) and improved stabilization significantly as well in the top of the line.
post #26 of 66 Old 11-06-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

"I am pretty happy with the small Panasonic SD9 "

Just so everyone knows - this camcorder has a 1/6" sensor (didn't this "happy" owner complain above about the small sensor size (1/4.7" sensor) of the AC9?)

It can only do interlaced video, at a maximum bitrate of 17Mbps, and has a small, low-resolution LCD.

If you are happy with that, I don't get why you care about any of the points being discussed about video quality? I also don't get why you are "Hypercritic."

I used to have an SD9; I too was very happy with the video when I had it - it was my first AVCHD camcorder. I recently went back and looked at those videos, and I was appalled.

And that video is incredibly soft (though well shot).

I am disillusioned frown.gif.

smile.gif
post #27 of 66 Old 11-06-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"I am pretty happy with the small Panasonic SD9" Just so everyone knows - this camcorder has a 1/6" sensor (didn't this "happy" owner complain above about the small sensor size (1/4.7" sensor) of the AC9?)
Quoted fully for you: "I am pretty happy with the small Panasonic SD9 paired with the Nikon D3200". You also conveniently missed a D3200 video I posted above.
Quote:

It can only do interlaced video, at a maximum bitrate of 17Mbps, and has a small, low-resolution LCD.
Not all of the above is true. The SD9 can shoot native 1080p24.
Quote:

If you are happy with that, I don't get why you care about any of the points being discussed about video quality?
I may drive a Ford, but I can see value in BMWs and Audis. I used to lust for a "BMW" myself, I even own a 1-series of such a "BMW" so to speak (which I am selling now), but I figured that sheer resolution and cool features will not make my videos better. But I am always eager to discuss these features. And that is why I am hypercritic. I question everything including my own opinion ;-)
Quote:

I used to have an SD9; I too was very happy with the video when I had it - it was my first AVCHD camcorder. I recently went back and looked at those videos, and I was appalled. And that video is incredibly soft (though well shot).
It is soft, but is still better than 3:4 DV camera that I used to have (gee, I still have it stashed somewhere). Works great for DVDs that I send to my parents and relatives. The camcorder itself is very small, fits in the pocket, I can take it anywhere. On another hand, it has more features and easier to use than a smartphone camera. For audio I use Zoom H1. It utilizes CCDs not CMOS, so shooting from a car mount does not produce jello. It shoots native 24p, so no deinterlacing for interwebs. 17 Mbit/s is good enough for 24p, and it flies in the editor, and the files are relatively small. Image stabilization is not as good as on modern camcorders though. This is a compromise. This has been shot with the SD9 too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPJG3ajVjbo 0:00-0:03 was shot with a cheap CMOS camera, pans in 0:03-0:15 are added in post, which is why this particular segment is uber soft.

I used to have the SD600 which shoots 1080p60 at much higher effective resolution (1000 vs 600), but it does not have native 24p, and I got tired removing pulldown. The HMC40 is about as sharp as the SD600 and has 60p and has 24p too, but I haven't used it for a year and a half, it is not as small, I need a whole big bag for it. I also have the Canon HF100 sitting in a box that I need to sell. I am more a geek than a shooter.

I am not shooting for Planet Earth. After about 6 years of tinkering with video I settled on a combination that works for me. This does not prohibit me from having and voicing whichever opinion I have today ;-)
post #28 of 66 Old 11-06-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Well, that's good to know about the sony nx70. I assumed it would be a better camera than the nx30 especially due to more manual control. So is the consensus that the nx70 has worse video quality and stabilization than the nx30?
post #29 of 66 Old 11-06-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

"You also conveniently missed a D3200 video I posted above."

No, i commented on the video you posted and said it was shot nicely but very soft. I guess you conveniently missed that. But maybe you are happy with soft?

So, you are an armchair hypercritic with no experience with any of the latest equipment, just reading specs and making conclusions, shown to be invalid, based on experience with very outdated equipment?

You have every right to say anything you want, but it is useful to know on what your conclusions and expertise are based.

I guess I am the hypercritic now. smile.gif

And why would anyone want to shoot video at 24p compared with 60p? I know, you are using Windows XP on a Pentium computer with a 10GB hard drive. So it is too slow and the files are too big. But, why upgrade, I am happy! I don't need all those cool features like a fast processor. And 1080p screen; nah - I am happy with VGA resolution, my soft videos look as good on it as those sharp ones taken with those cameras with doodads I don't need.

"I figured that sheer resolution and cool features will not make my videos better."

Well, you figured wrong. Your video is substandard and hard to watch because it is so soft. In fact, better resolution will make your videos better, and you can always make them as soft as you want in post if you really like soft videos. And "cool" features - well, turns out touch screen focus, a cool feature, is really useful for making good videosl. But then its a new feature, and you have no experience with it.
post #30 of 66 Old 11-06-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"You also conveniently missed a D3200 video I posted above." No, i commented on the video you posted and said it was shot nicely but very soft. I guess you conveniently missed that. But maybe you are happy with soft?
I see it now. I thought you were praising your own video: "I used to have an SD9; I too was very happy with the video when I had it - it was my first AVCHD camcorder. I recently went back and looked at those videos, and I was appalled. And that video is incredibly soft (though well shot)." ;-)

So I have a soft D3200 and a soft SD9, and they kind of work together.
Quote:

So, you are an armchair hypercritic with no experience with any of the latest equipment, just reading specs and making conclusions, shown to be invalid, based on very outdated equipment?
The TM700 and SD600 are still quite relevant. There has been no new codecs introduced in consumer camcorders since introduction of 1080p60 @ 28 Mbit/s. I shot this one with the SD600. Yep, it is sharp. I sold it because I decided that I did not need that many cameras. I am not going to consider buying a new camcorder until Panasonic (or Sony) offer AVC Long-G recorded onto SDHC/SDXC cards. The XF100 is too pricey to buy just for toying around. And I am not interested in 3D at all.
Quote:

And why would anyone want to shoot video at 24p compared with 60p?
Pros and cons are well-known. Less "live" look (you see I am avoiding the word "film" look), fewer frames per second so less bitrate is needed, with lower frame rate and bitrate it is easier to edit, with lower file size it is easier to store, with lower frame rate it is easier to stream. When transferred to DVD it retains full resolution when played on any decent player, while 60p has to be converted into antiquated and ugly 30i. Not everyone has switched to 1080p flat screens and to 1080p60-capable Blu-ray players.
Quote:

I know, you are using Windows XP on a Pentium computer with a 10GB hard drive. ... turns out touch screen focus, a cool feature, is really usefu for making good videosl. But then its a new feature, and you have no experience with it.
I thought we were having an intelligent discussion here, but you are throwing words into the air without reading what I wrote. Someone either has a reading comprehension problem or "knows" something that is not true. Inventing lies and calling them truth will not help you to win what you think is an argument.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page