Need help with external light accessories please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-04-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I am going to get a nice little HD camcorder for shooting interviews at conventions. Have my eye on the Sony HDR-CX190. But thats not the issue. I want my interviews to be as well-lit as possible with an external light.. I am going to get a bracket like this and my main concern is I will need some other piece of equipment so I can still tripod the camera.... I think. Pretty sure I will need something else in the equation to still be able to tripod mount the camera. If anyone knows what piece I need to make it work that would be great!

Also, any recommendations for a light? Was looking for something like this I guess, in the $50-100 price range.

Audio I will be using a Zoom H4N and I will be on a lav mic and have the interviewee on a hand mic, sync the audio up in post with Plural Eyes. Was going to go with a Rode hand mic, probably up to $200.

Any insight you guys have please fire away.

Thanks,

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-06-2012, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryedegg View Post

So I am going to get a nice little HD camcorder for shooting interviews at conventions. Have my eye on the Sony HDR-CX190. But thats not the issue. I want my interviews to be as well-lit as possible with an external light.. I am going to get a bracket like this and my main concern is I will need some other piece of equipment so I can still tripod the camera.... I think. Pretty sure I will need something else in the equation to still be able to tripod mount the camera. If anyone knows what piece I need to make it work that would be great!
Also, any recommendations for a light? Was looking for something like this I guess, in the $50-100 price range.
Audio I will be using a Zoom H4N and I will be on a lav mic and have the interviewee on a hand mic, sync the audio up in post with Plural Eyes. Was going to go with a Rode hand mic, probably up to $200.
Any insight you guys have please fire away.
Thanks,
Marc

Hi Marc - I have a $10 C-Bracket similar to the Bower, and the screws on the bottom have a tripod socket - so you shouldn't need anything else to mount the bracket on a tripod.

Also, have you looked at the $249 Canon HF R300 instead of the $230 CX190? For less than $20 more, you get 1080/30p as well as 1080/60i as well as mic and headphone jacks. The Sony shoots 1080/60i only and has no mic or headphone jacks.

You'll still need the bracket, because Canon and Sony don't put standard cold shoes on their lower end consumer cameras (Panasonic does, but they don't have any decent camcorders below $300).

On your light question - you can do better than that $60 Vivitar 120 LED light from Adorama. Try this $40 Neewer light from Amazon. More light for less money.

With the HF R300's microphone jack,, you may be able to get away with recording sound without the H4N - but even if you use an external recorder, you can back up your sound with a $27 impedance matching cable from the H4N's headphone out to the HF R300's mic in.

And if you don't already have the $239 H4N, I recommend the $170 Tascam DR-40 4 track recorder with XLR inputs. Better value for money than the H4N, in my view.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #3 of 6 Old 11-06-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the all help Bill! I am probably going to go with everything you recommended! You are awesome!

-Marc
post #4 of 6 Old 11-11-2012, 09:30 PM

Hi, for the on camera light i would recommend the Z96 (Also known as HDV-Z96) model. I have been using two of these for the last couple of years and they are excellent and quite popular.

Check out the review we did of them recently (It's in Spanish but you can click "CC" for English subtitles)

Hope this helps, cheers
post #5 of 6 Old 11-12-2012, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I also have used the HDVZ96 light - it is much better than the Vivitar, and comparable to pro LED sets that are much more expensive.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-05-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

You guys have been so helpful! I am about to make my last round of purchases but there is one thing I cannot find! In the video above the nice girl has a hot shoe pole extender thing for her light to give it some additional height... what is that appartatus called?! I want for my new LED light!
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page