Options for reading Panasonic HDC-SD9 files - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-05-2012, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had the Panasonic HDC-SD9 camera for a number of years. I used HDWRITER that came with the camera for a while, but then I upgraded to 64bit Windows and the application did not support 64-bit. I could not determine if the latest version off HDWRITER (2.6) supports 64-bit Windows (all it says is that it supports Windows 7 and 8).

I can no longer find the install disc, and it looks as though Panasonic doesn't make the install discs available for download (only updates for which you need the original install disc).

Whilst I didn't have a way to export the files, I have been copying the whole SD card to hard disc.

Finally, I am getting round to organise the files. I can see the MTS files in PRIVATE\BDMV\STREAM folder and can play them back. However, I don't see any information about e.g the date and time they were captured - I assume it is the other binary files e.g. CLIPINF?

Does anyone know how to:
1) Install HDWRITER on my WIndows 64bit without the install disc;
2) Extract the metadata without HDWRITER?

Thanks

Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Lee,

I don't know how to install HDWriter without the disk unless you find someone with the same camera that will loan you the disk. The question has come up before and nobody has reported success at getting a new disk from Panasonic. It seems Panasonic has specific versions for each camera.

I think HDWriter is less important now because the editing software from people like Sony and Adobe have become so much better at handling .mts files.

My suggestion is to consider abandoning HDWriter. Use Windows Explorer to set up folders by subject, date or whatever you want. The only files that are important are the big ones that end in .mts or .m2ts. All the others are irrelevant to everything except HDWriter and you can get rid of them -- unless you are somehow committed to HDWriter. Once you move the .mts files to your computer, the file structure on the SD card is irrelevant.

Most of the metadata can be seen in Windows Explorer. Right click on the file and choose "Properties". For more information, I use a shareware called "MediaInfo" that seems to find a few more details.

Since HDWriter may not be part of your future, my personal favorite editor is the $90 Premier Elements 11 from Adobe. It does a lot more than HDWriter and even comes with an "Organizer" to help simplify keeping track of all those .mts files.

Good luck!

Bill
post #3 of 5 Old 11-05-2012, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Yep, clpi files have some metadata. I don't use them, I just store MTS files and edit these. If a video spans several clips you will know it by consecutive numbers and by the first video being about 4GB in size. AFAIK, the most recent version of Vegas can correctly stitch together such clips, older versions would lose about half a second of audio. You can use tools such as tsMuxer for stitching.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-06-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

Yep, clpi files have some metadata.......
I think that particular metadata is only useful to HDWriter. I don't think any other software would or could use it.

Bill
post #5 of 5 Old 11-06-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@bsprague, @ungermann - many thanks for your help.

I did some more research, and exiftool can extract 'datetimeoriginal' from the mts files as well - weirdly, however, it gives it as in the timezone utc-15:30 (I thought timezones ran -12 -> + 12?).

It seems that the clip info is really just for the camera and perhaps hdwriter.

However, all I really need is the date and time of capture. Thanks for the other tips e.g. for stitching the larger clips together, etc.

Lee
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page