Sony NXCam - use as a webcam / streaming to computer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-06-2012, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
erc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't do a lot with video cameras, but I've been asked to set up some live video internet streaming from this camera for an event.

The exact model is HXR-NX30U

Now, from what I understand, it's quite rare for a video camera to stream video/audio to a computer over USB. The USB ports are almost always for transferring files from the camera, which would explain my total failure to get it to work this way. Most other cameras I've worked with use Firewire for streaming/capture.

This camera has no firewire or thunderbolt port. It's got two different USB interfaces, neither of which seem to give me a streaming option on the computer. It's got A/V out and HDMI out as well.

So, am I missing something, or has something that was previously very easy to do now impossible without additional hardware? And if that's the case, what kind of hardware will allow me to go from HDMI Out on the video camera to Firewire or Thunderbolt or USB 3 on a computer to do streaming?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-16-2014, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
erc

I still have the same question. Anyone?
post #3 of 6 Old 05-16-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You can use the AV connections to go into an AV to USB adapter such as this:
http://www.amazon.com/EASYCAP-Audio-Video-Capture-Adapter/dp/B0019SSSMY/ref=sr_1_1/190-5725920-4799550?ie=UTF8&qid=1400262909&sr=8-1&keywords=AV+CAPTURE

But if you are streaming for any extended amount of time, camcorders are not designed for that.

You can get a cheap HD webcam and connect via USB for any period of time:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Webcam-Widescreen-Calling-Recording/dp/B004FHO5Y6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1400263088&sr=8-6&keywords=hd+webcam
post #4 of 6 Old 05-16-2014, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
erc

The thing is, we're using it to stream events, usually about 2 hours in length. Events take place in either a large conference room, or in a gymnasium. We need the zoom and quality of a real video camera, and especially the large sensor for the crappy lighting in a gym--I don't think a webcam is going to cut it.

Seems like quality would suffer going using the composite out on a digital video camera instead of HDMI. If some kind of converter box will be necessary... any suggestions on the type that will yield the sharpest video quality? Price really isn't much of an issue.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-16-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You could go out hdmi the camcorder and buy a blackmagic capture card into pc...
http://www.amazon.com/Blackmagic-Design-Intensity-Pro-Editing/dp/B001CN9GEA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400280618&sr=8-1&keywords=blackmagic+capture+card

They also make higher-end versions.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-16-2014, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
erc

Oh nice! Thanks, I'll have to check these out!
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page