Noob here with a noob question. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-06-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm looking to get a camcorder to make some videos for a gaming related project. It doesn't need to be fancy but should have good audio and video quality. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a relatively inexpensive, decent quality camcorder I should consider buying. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-10-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hi Northern Dragon - it depends on what you mean by "relatively inexpensive", your definition of "good audio and video quality" and where you plan to show your product. Projection on a screen in a theater? Big screen HDTV? YouTube or Vimeo?

For YouTube/Vimeo and a $300 budget, I would get the $249 Canon HF R300 for its headphone jack and amazing 51x zoom. Here is what it can do (watch in 1080p): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuw5ALySuQk

For YouTube/Vimeo and a $400 budget, I would get the $380 Panasonic HC-V700 for its built in video light, larger sensor and mic input jack (with the understanding that it has no headphone jack). Here is what it can do (watch in 1080p): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HytTs9KGQ8w

For YouTube/Vimeo or big screen TV and a $700 budget, I would get the $648 Sony CX580V, or its waterproof (and stealthy) variant, the $679 Sony GW77V. Great video performance at a reasonable price. Here is what the GW77V can do: here and here.

For YouTube/Vimeo or big screen TV and a $1000 budget, I would get the $798 Panasonic HC-X900 for deep depth of field, or a DSLR/DSLT/DSLM camera such as the $780 Panasonic GH2 for "cinematic" shallow depth of field. Here is what the X900 can do, and here is what the GH2 can do (what gaming may be like in the future!).

For YouTube/Vimeo, big screen TV or theatrical projection and a $3000+ budget, I would get the $2995 Blackmagic Cinema Camera (if they ever ship). Here and here are a couple of examples of what it can do.

I know I'm being a little ridiculous here. As a self-described "noob", I am guessing that you are at the lower end of the budget scale. But, when you're asking for advice, it would really help to know your budget and where you intend to show your videos smile.gif

I hope this is helpful - and good luck with your project!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page