Filming while backpacking - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-07-2012, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I gonna go backpacking through South East Asia next year. I'm planing on doing a vlog/documentary about the trip and I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on cameras, audio and storage.

The Video camera must have:
- 1080p
- flip screen
- Mic mount (?)
- cost 600-800$ max
- good durability

(I am gonna take a GoPro Hero 3 for underwater footage)

I want a good microphone in chase of wind and loud crowds. Was thinking of a mic you mount on top of the camera.

What is the best way to store footage on the road. I had though of taking a laptop and a external hard drive and putting it on the hard drive.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-07-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 105
1. A "good" mic will do nothing to prevent wind noise or to prevent overloading from loud crowd noise. If that is your only criteria for audio, the in-camera mic will be fine. The only advantage of an external mic for your purpose (wind noise reduction) is that it might be easier to add "fur" to the external mic to prevent wind noise - that is the only way to prevent it.
2. What you do need for good audio is the ability to defeat auto gain control in audio.
3. If you want durability (shockproof, dustproof, waterproof), an excellent flip-out lcd, and great 1080p then look at the Sony HDR GW77 (under $700). It meets all your requirements except an external mic. Its internal mic is fine and you can turn off agc.

And you can use it underwater, down to 16 feet. It will be far superior to any GoPro model in video and audio quality under or above water. It is also compact, almost as small as a GoPro in its waterproof housing (not needed for the GW77).

See the thread on the GW77 to see if it meets your needs.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-07-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 90
(On edit, I see Mark beat me at pressing the submit button.)

Welcome to the forum. Last time I was in Southeast Asia there was a war going on, my camera used film and I didn't even dream of doing video.

If I was backpacking (and wanted a new camcorder) I would get a Sony GW77 and not worry about a mic. It is small, rugged, waterproof and dust proof. It is well documented on another thread here.

But, based on your list, a Panasonic HC-V700M might work well. It is also documented in a thread here.

I have a camera similar to the V700 and left it home on a recent three week trip where we limited ourselves to backpack sized carry on luggage. I took a Sony RX100 and a Sony HX9V for backup. I am happy with both the video and photos I took. They would not be better with a bigger camera. The RX-100 is not documented on this forum. The HX9V was documented a year ago. The current version of it is called an HX20V.

The best way to store footage on the road is SD cards. They are nearly indestructible. Unfortunately, there are not very many ways to back them up without a computer. My ideal system would be a small tablet that would read SD cards. I could either use the tablet to be the backup or use it to transfer video files to a second SD card as the backup. It may be that the new iPad mini has a SD card reader, but I've not checked.

Another way to minimize loss of video data is to use a lot of small SD cards instead of a few big ones. That way if one failed only a fraction of the video files would be lost. Frankly, other than stupid formatting mistakes, people never seem to report SD card failures.

Bill
post #4 of 7 Old 11-07-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 105
sd cards: Sandisk claims that its standard sd cards are waterproof and shockproof. That is not true of any tablet or hard drive. The advice to just store on sd cards in the field is a good one. A 32GB class 10 Sandisk card is about $30 ($18, Black Friday at BestBuy), so you can buy many and skip the hard drive. Obviously, 10 sd cards are also lighter than any 320GB external "portable" hard drive.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-07-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the tips. Really like what I'm read/seeing from the GW77
post #6 of 7 Old 11-10-2012, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyHolm View Post

Thanks for the tips. Really like what I'm read/seeing from the GW77

Woody, - as I recall you wanted a "mic mount"? Sadly, the GW77 has no mic input jack. You may want to look at its big brother, the $648 Sony HDR-CX580V. Same sensor and image quality as the GW77, but has a mic input jack. Unfortunately, it is not waterproof, nor is it as stealthy as the GW77.

Hope this is helpful, and safe travels!

Bill B.
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #7 of 7 Old 11-10-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Woody

You seem to be a "perfect case" for a GW77. Follow the other Mark's posts on this camera, I think not even the Sony project manager knows this camera as much as he does.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page