Beginner looking to buy first camera - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-20-2012, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a college student who is a complete beginner with absolutely no camera experience. However I am seriously interested in shooting video and not looking to take it up as just a hobby, but to hopefully one day develop into a filmmaker. For now I am interested in learning to shoot short films, music videos, concerts/events. I am looking to buy my first camera that would be suitable for those types of things. I understand that the best does not come cheap and I do not want what I shoot to look amateurish, so I'm looking at around $600-700, as $1000 is just too out of my price range. As a noob with pretty much zero guidance and a lot of interest, I am also unfamiliar with all the technical jargon that goes into buying a camera. However I am eager to take it all in, so don't hold back but at least dumb it down a bit if you can! I want a camera that I will be able to grow and get better with.

Once again as I have no experience, I am open to any suggestions on any of my requirements. I am just looking for a good starting point. Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-20-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hi tms - welcome to the forum! There are a lot of smart people on this forum (smarter than me), and they may have different advice, but I would check to see if there are any classes at your school - or at least read a few filmmaking books - before plunking down a lot of money for a camera. If you're having a hard time with the terminology, you're going to have a harder time getting decent motion picture images out of the camera.

Cheers and good luck,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page