Advice in choosing good basic first camcorder (black friday-cyber mon deals) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-23-2012, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello:
looking to purchase my first HD camcorder for an introduction into basic recording and computer editing.
looking for something basic but reliable and good quality.

consumer reports last did ratings on these in December 2011, at that time their top 3 best buy models were
panasonic hdc-tm90
panasonic hdc-sd90
cannon vixia hf m300

i realize that this info is no longer current.
any recommendations would be appreciated.

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-23-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Newer models...

Panasonic HC-V700
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/839122-REG/Panasonic_HC_V700_V700M_Full_HD_Camcorder.html

Canon HF M500
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/838772-REG/Canon_M500_VIXIA_HF_M500_Full.html

Both on sale.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-25-2012, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi av409 - I recommend Panasonic's top-of-the line model for 2012 - the X900MK with 32GB of internal memory, which is marked down to $668 for Cyber Monday. Not much more than the price of a mid-range camcorder.

Here is what this camera can do:

https://vimeo.com/44890811

https://vimeo.com/41644852

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #4 of 7 Old 11-25-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

i read the spec, sounds great but unfortunately out of my budget at the moment.

this will be my first camcorder which i would like to use as an introduction to basic home filming & editing.
my only hard line requirement is a remote control or the ability to interface with one, and a good basic starter editing software included.
i know the top three are sony/pana/cannon but how about JVC/TOSHIBA etc. the price points seem very attractive. being that i am a novice are these worth considering as a first or are they just pure junk?
post #5 of 7 Old 11-25-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by av409 View Post

i read the spec, sounds great but unfortunately out of my budget at the moment.
this will be my first camcorder which i would like to use as an introduction to basic home filming & editing.
my only hard line requirement is a remote control or the ability to interface with one, and a good basic starter editing software included.
i know the top three are sony/pana/cannon but how about JVC/TOSHIBA etc. the price points seem very attractive. being that i am a novice are these worth considering as a first or are they just pure junk?
You can buy a Powershot point and shoot camera that will shoot 720p or 1080p HD. I saw some on sale this weekend for like $50 or $60. There should be sales tomorrow, Cyber Monday, also. And the batteries for these cameras can be had three/for $10 on ebay. Plus, with a small camera there is the advantage of pocket-ability/taking it with you everywhere.

This way you can see if you're even into the idea of making videos. There are times when people buy a whole camcorder setup only to find they're not really using it. If you are into shooting video, then you can spend for a more serious camcorder.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-25-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I shoot a lot of video with last years model of a Sony HX20V at Amazon for $288. It comes with software I like and the video quality is excellent.

It does not have a remote. Remotes are going to be difficult to find on lower priced camcorders. Why is the remote a hard requirment?

Bill
post #7 of 7 Old 11-25-2012, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

just something i like the idea of having as i am sure I'll use it someday (nature shots/animals etc)
i see most sony models have the jack that allows for a plug in remote.
i see wireless remote controllers marketed specifically for certain canon models yet there is nothing listed about that in the spec. for the mentioned camera or any information on the canon website for the said remote itself. cant find any information at all on controllers for panasonic units, no mention of LANC ports. perhaps the jacks are there but called by a different name?

while on the canon website i see attractive deals on refurbished units. any opinions on those?
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page