What camcorder should I get? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-26-2012, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
SuperTaxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys! I'm really just posting this to get help assessing my options I need to buy a camcorder for the documentary class I'm about to take at my local community college. I'm a junior in high school but I've already decided that after senior year I'm going to take a sabbatical and go to the Gaza Strip, Libya, Syria, Mali, The Korengal, etc to either photograph or film the various conflicts in that area.

Unfortunately I probably wont have enough $$$ to buy plane tickets an apartment, and buy another camera so the one I buy now will have to do. I was going to buy the Sony HVR Z1 until I learned its been discontinued. How are the Z5's and Z7's?

I need something rugged, reliable, HD, low light capable, and light enough to run through a battle field with wink.gif
SuperTaxi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 11-26-2012, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
SuperTaxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone?
SuperTaxi is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 11-27-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ungermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 3,746
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Any reason for preferring a tape-based camcorder?
SuperTaxi likes this.
Ungermann is online now  
post #4 of 12 Old 11-27-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
xfws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTaxi View Post

Hey guys! I'm really just posting this to get help assessing my options I need to buy a camcorder for the documentary class I'm about to take at my local community college. I'm a junior in high school but I've already decided that after senior year I'm going to take a sabbatical and go to the Gaza Strip, Libya, Syria, Mali, The Korengal, etc to either photograph or film the various conflicts in that area.
Unfortunately I probably wont have enough $$$ to buy plane tickets an apartment, and buy another camera so the one I buy now will have to do. I was going to buy the Sony HVR Z1 until I learned its been discontinued. How are the Z5's and Z7's?
I need something rugged, reliable, HD, low light capable, and light enough to run through a battle field with wink.gif

If you're going to be in the desert, consider a dustproof (and rainproof) camcorder:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761581-REG/Sony_HXR_NX70U_HXR_NX70_Compact_Dust_and.html

I don't know if you are going to be near actual fighting, maybe also consider having a point--of-view camcorder on you that you can just wear:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=point+of+view+camcorder&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Will you be running and pointing a hand-held camera might not be an option(?) Any footage/better than no footage.

Or perhaps look for a mega-zoom camera and stay as far away as possible. biggrin.gif
xfws is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 11-27-2012, 09:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Railfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: northern lower peninsula Michigan
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Take a look at Sonys' GW77.
Railfan is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 11-27-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bsprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 2,837
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railfan View Post

Take a look at Sonys' GW77.
That is exactly what I would buy to run through a dusty desert battlefield. Not only is it rugged and dust proof, it has enough "incognito" factor to aid in avoiding being a target! The price might be a little closer to a students budget too.

Bill
bsprague is online now  
post #7 of 12 Old 11-27-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
SuperTaxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

If you're going to be in the desert, consider a dustproof (and rainproof) camcorder:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761581-REG/Sony_HXR_NX70U_HXR_NX70_Compact_Dust_and.html
I don't know if you are going to be near actual fighting, maybe also consider having a point--of-view camcorder on you that you can just wear:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=point+of+view+camcorder&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=
Will you be running and pointing a hand-held camera might not be an option(?) Any footage/better than no footage.
Or perhaps look for a mega-zoom camera and stay as far away as possible. biggrin.gif

Haha! That might be a good idea! I'm planning on having a GoPro HERO3 Black on a head or chest mount in case I neeed to turn off my other camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

Any reason for preferring a tape-based camcorder?

No. I suggested those cameras because they used a Z1 to film Restrepo. Although one of them died while filming in Libya, so this might be one of my worst ideas ever...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

That is exactly what I would buy to run through a dusty desert battlefield. Not only is it rugged and dust proof, it has enough "incognito" factor to aid in avoiding being a target! The price might be a little closer to a students budget too.
Bill

I'm not trying to win Sundance with this but, I'd like to make something I can turn into a low budget film, so if that is a good camera disguised as a flip I will definitely buy it. Also, I was reading some guidelines for journalists and standard procedure in a war zone is to jump behind cover and hold your camera up if you come under fire. I'd like to have something easy to spot...biggrin.gif
SuperTaxi is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 11-27-2012, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
SuperTaxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks again guys!
SuperTaxi is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 11-27-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
xfws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

That is exactly what I would buy to run through a dusty desert battlefield. Not only is it rugged and dust proof, it has enough "incognito" factor to aid in avoiding being a target! The price might be a little closer to a students budget too.
Bill

yeah ...great imago quality and rugged. I was going for OP's price point as it looked like he wanted a more serious camcorder for documentaries.

I don't know how it works out there, maybe having a larger camcorder would designate you more as "neutral" media.
I certainly wouldn't get the black GW77, as it may be mistaken for a pistol....

xfws is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 11-27-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
markr041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 108
But the bright blue one can be more easily spotted by snipers...
markr041 is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 11-27-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
xfws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

But the bright blue one can be more easily spotted by snipers...
heh-heh
xfws is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 11-27-2012, 05:39 PM
Member
 
TangoFoxtrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For days in the rain and mud I take a Kodak PlaySport Zx3 and 5 extra (aftermarket) batteries. Otherwise it serves as a quick out of the pocket camcorder and backup. The later Zx5 model is stuck with a built-in battery so avoid.

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-PlaySport-Waterproof-Pocket-Camera/dp/B0030MITDK/
TangoFoxtrot is offline  
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off